Wish I could have seen this song done live

cwall99

Addicted Member
I'm a late arrival to the Harry Nilsson party, but, dang, I love cranking up Jump into the Fire. It's a shame we lost him so young. He was a brilliant man. Would have loved to have seen Jump into the Fire at club volume levels and just get pummeled by that extended drum solo.

OK, I can push it over 100 dB on my system, and that's a lot of fun, but, man, can you imagine that song live?

His bio on the Source of all Knowledge (OK, Wikipedia), says this, "Nilsson was one of the few major pop-rock recording artists of his era to achieve significant commercial success without ever performing major public concerts or undertaking regular tours."

So it seems if anyone got to see it performed, they were probably in the recording studio.

Here's a shortened version taken from the movie Son of Dracula:

Check out the talent who appear with him in the movie: Klaus Voormann, Keith Moon, Peter Frampton, John Bonham, Leon Russell, Bobby Keyes, and Jim Price.

Only Voorman appears on the original track.

In the pre-internet days, when some things were still mysteries, I had a buddy from high school that insisted that Jump Into the Fire was done by Little Feat.

One night, while we were working on his car, he had an old tape playing that was a recording of a late night DJ from the Detroit radio station WABX. Anyways, Jump Into the Fire started and about halfway through (before the drum solo part) the DJ faded it out and faded in Little Feats Teenage Nervous Breakdown. It really fit together and it did sound like one long song.

I miss how real live DJs would do things like that.

It is also interesting that the bass player in this tune, Herbie Flowers, played the famous bass line on Lou Reed's Walk On The Wild Side.

Back
Top Bottom