Wolverine Lancaster Speakers ?

I have the speakers, the drivers, not in a cabinet.
Mine are called mac12's, but they look the same as the ones in the drawing you linked to.
Cool.
Srinath.

The Wolverine speakers are made by EV and are very common. Many for sale on ebay. The Lancaster is just the cabinet. back in the 50's and 60's EV sold a lot of their speaker "loads" that way. You bought the cabinet and then selected the speaker (s) you wanted to put in the cab. The Wolverine was a popularly priced line that included woofers up to 15" as I recall. They were used in combination with various EV horn mids and tweets (T-35, 8HD etc.)

I have the wolverines. (LS12) The Lancaster and Loraine or the only cabs I've found for them so far. The Lancaster isn't small. 25"Hx 20"Wx 14"D. I was hoping someone might have owned a pair.

Mark

I have an ev full ranger 12's as well in what was almost a copy of a Heresy II sized cabinet. The guy that sold em to me at a yard sale swore up and down they were heresy's. I knew they weren't but @ $15 the pair, it was no time to "educate" him It was time to load up and run.

The weird thing about the cabs (and I am not sure if EV intended it that way) is that they are sealed, with a guillotine style back. One of them was so tight, I could not open it till I holesawed a hole in it to install the connector, and put a dowel at an angle and knocked it out. However the speakers have a switch in the back panel for tweeter sensitivity.

I'd guess they will work in almost any cabinet, vented to sealed like mine to open baffle.

Cool.
Srinath.

Wolverine (and, later, Michigan) was EV's "value-priced" (cheap) line of drivers and components. Besides the current EV site (which, to their credit, still has tons of legacy documentation - although it's become quite tedious to search through!)
Here's another quick site for EV info:
http://www.hifilit.com/Electro-Voice/Electro-Voice.htm

Also, peruse mid-1950s through late 1960s catalogs at www.alliedcatalogs.com

Which drivers do you have?

By and large, open baffles, infinite baffles (big sealed boxes) or vented enclosures are best for the drivers - find a copy of EV Tech Bulletin 10 (or 10A) at the EV site and you can use their nomograph - or just Google.

By and large, they're pretty nice drivers; sensitive ('great for tube amps'!) but with limited power handling capability.

Thanks for the links! I used the LS12's in OB's. I liked them but, I think the drivers have more to offer. The Lancaster is easy enough to build.

Mark

Yes and no - the LS12 is really well constructed but its motor is modest - Qts is high. It's at its best as, in essence, an extended midrange, I'd opine :)

Wolverines

I built a pair of enclosures way back in 63 for a pair of Wolverines. I always felt disappointed in the Wolv's.
I used 12" and they worked great, just no low end.

Paul

Oh wow, if these were their economy I now really want to get the TOTL's.
I have the wolverines in beautiful hand made sealed cabinets these are 12's with a center mounted horn and a switch in the back of the woofer, the mac12's I believe - they are the shallow 3 stem cast frame - like the original post, then the main daily listening SP12b's I think is what they are - cast 12" with whizzer cone, M1823 horn with a massive driver, and the T350 horn+driver and X8 and 36 Crossovers and a pair of EV l-pads in what I have to think was made to go horizontal - the horns are lengthwise in the cab (nothing like I've ever seen)

What is their TOTL stuff ?

Cool.
Srinath.

12" top of the line extended range (twincone) was the SP12
12" top of the line coax was the 12TRX
top of the line tweeter was the T-350
top of the line MR driver and horn (at that time) I am less sure of...

You can find info on all of them at
http://www.electrovoice.com/downloads.php?d=1
(with a little patience)

or look at catalogs on www.alliedcatalalogs.com (see, e.g., page 68 to 70 of http://www.alliedcatalogs.com/catalogs/1961-200/ -- also nice color pictures of the Wolverine line on page 2 of same)

Here's a stock shot of the butt-end of the SP12

EV_SP12_Chrome_Dual-Cone_Woofers_web.jpg

http://www.oaktreeent.com/web_photos/Drivers/EV_SP12_Chrome_Dual-Cone_Woofers_web.jpg

Here's a very early version of the (15 inch) 15TRXB coax:

15TRXBrear by mhardy6647, on Flickr

15TRXBfront by mhardy6647, on Flickr

Last edited:
I built a pair of enclosures way back in 63 for a pair of Wolverines. I always felt disappointed in the Wolv's.
I used 12" and they worked great, just no low end.

Paul

Where they sealed or ported? I know in OB's they didn't go very low but, that was expected. I looked at the EV 10 data. Looks like a ported cab size from 3.25cuft to 5.75cuft is called for. The Lancaster is about 3.25 sealed. I would think in a ported cab I could get around 45Hz.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom