Won a used Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL 2 on eBay

mjw21a

Ok, so I ended up winning a used Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL 2 on eBay. It has the Linear power supply upgrade, remote control and looks to have a longer than standard DC power cable.

Even after factoring in shipping and import duty, I'm saving a bit over $1,000 Australian dollars over new so pretty happy with this.

I'm thinking it will be a nice improvement over my Schiit Saga passive pre and has the added benefit of a high quality headphone amp all in a small form factor which is ideal with my limited space. The clear top will be nice alongside the glass top of my darTZeel NHB-108B copy :)

Now to wait for it to come from the US. Will probably not recieve until the new year :(

Anyway, will post my findings here once received.

I believe that the power supply is switchable on the Linear power supply... . I certainly hope so. Unfortunately it's missing it's manual. Everything else is good though.

It should make for an excellent pre + headphone amp. I'll use my Logitech Harmony remote rather than the Apple remote though. All I really want out of it is the holographic imaging that only tubes ever seem to pull off, without any added colour . Based on reviews I think this will do it :)

Mmmm, seems that my TV remote makes the MZ2 volume go up or down randomly. I put a bit of black electrical tape over the IR reciever. Apparently I can send to LTA to lock the amp to the remote though the cost between Australia and the US is prohibitive so that won't be happening.

I'm still waiting for for the Linear Power Supply upgrade through that's due to arrive tomorrow. As is I can't stop listening to my system though won't write much more than that until I've the power supply upgrade.

Seems it's the latest MZ2 so will take 12SN7 tubes. Popped in RCA smoked bottles in place of the RCA Black Plates. No real difference that I can hear. The stock Mullard 12AT7 short plates are significantly better than the Gold Lion 12AU7 tubes I got for it. Far more 3D sounding.

Ok, so I ended up winning a used Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL 2 on eBay. It has the Linear power supply upgrade, remote control and looks to have a longer than standard DC power cable.

Even after factoring in shipping and import duty, I'm saving a bit over $1,000 Australian dollars over new so pretty happy with this.

I'm thinking it will be a nice improvement over my Schiit Saga passive pre and has the added benefit of a high quality headphone amp all in a small form factor which is ideal with my limited space. The clear top will be nice alongside the glass top of my darTZeel NHB-108B copy :)

Now to wait for it to come from the US. Will probably not recieve until the new year :(

Anyway, will post my findings here once received.

Happy New Year????

Ok, recieved the Linear Power Supply upgrade today which is great. At least I've another two days before I go back to work to enjoy it.

I've come to the conclusion that it's not worthwhile buying the MZ2 without the power supply upgrade. It improves dynamics, speed, impact and the sound stage is wider and better defined. Frankly with the not huge price difference if getting new you'd just step up to the MZ3 which by all reports is even better again using a stepped attenuator rather than the ALPS.

I consider the MZ2 + LPS an overall upgrade vs my previous Schiit Saga. In comparison it is more forward with a greater presence, as though you are there at the performance. Dynamics, punch and impact are improved though I find the sense of timing to perhaps be clearer with the Saga.

The Saga in comparison also has a great soundstage and timing, though that might have more to do with the darTZeel copy power amp. It's also more laid back which could well make it a better choice for many.

On the other hand the improved dynamics and punch of the MZ2 means that it sounds fantastic at lower volumes than could be achieved previously so this is perfect for me. I had justified this upgrade to myself as adding headphone capability to my system (baby on the way) though perversely it is now probably not necessary!

It sounds great loud too though I just don't often use the added volume. As I get older I increasingly worry about upsetting the neighbours, though I really shouldn't considering how often they throw loud parties (two of the houses down the back are rentals).

So to sum up, it retains the transparency of the Schiit Saga, though with added detail, presence/immediacy, detail, dynamics, soundstage etc. It seems to flow better and keep me listening far longer than I should. Time gets away from me. Seems to bring out whatever is there. It's accurate enough that it's also fantastic for TV/movie use which can be an issue with some musical sounding preamp / amp combinations. Basically a perfect all rounder. Highly recommended.

Back
Top Bottom