Wood case oil/polish

jimstl99

Hi all. I have a CR-800 and am wanting to hear if anyone has recommendations for wood cabinet care. I hope to have something that not only keeps the wood properly moisturized but also provides a nice deep luster without being too shiny. What do you guys use?
Cheers.

if the wood never had varnish, but only oil, then the boiled linseed oil is what worked for me on the walnut veneer of my JBLs.

I use a product called Minwax Wipe-On Poly which seals and protects (pretty much for life) both stained and natural wood. It leaves a rich finish, enhancing + preserving the natural grain and texture of the wood. More coats make the finish more glossy, fewer coats (1-2) leave it matte / more natural, which is classier in my opinion.

I would only recommend it if the current finish is pristine (or if happy with it) because it will preserve it. I like it because it also adds durability and protects against moisture damage etc, but the permanence may not be for everyone.

If you're after a more mutable solution, something like what rottalpha suggested would be better.

I use a product called Minwax Wipe-On Poly which seals and protects (pretty much for life) both stained and natural wood. It leaves a rich finish, enhancing + preserving the natural grain and texture of the wood. More coats make the finish more glossy, fewer coats (1-2) leave it matte / more natural, which is classier in my opinion.

I would only recommend it if the current finish is pristine (or if happy with it) because it will preserve it. I like it because it also adds durability and protects against moisture damage etc, but the permanence may not be for everyone.

If you're after a more mutable solution, something like what rottalpha suggested would be better.

Thanks all for the suggestions. That is exactly the kind of info I was seeking.
Cheers.
Jim

Not sure if the CR-800 is wood or vinyl.

Rotalpha's advice is sound.

Watco has "varnish" in it and will seal any surface it's applied to. The varnish is likely a man made polymer resin. It does, as they claim, penetrate deep into the wood fibers and harden the wood. I'm not necessarily opposed to using it under the right circumstances. I've used it on refurbs, but wouldn't put it on a nice set of speakers.

Any healthy oiled wood finish shouldn't get poly or polymer sealers IMHO.

Use Howard's Feed-N-Wax or the JBL formula of 3:1 Boiled Linseed Oil:Turpentine.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....-jbl-studio-speaker-4430.588281/#post-7743702

You sure it's real wood? All CR-800's I've seen had fake wood vinyl wrapped around the case.

Back
Top Bottom