Wood Glue as Vinyl Cleaner

I did one yesterday......... I found that the tabs caused the glue underneath not to cure. I found that peeling the glue was more easily done without tabs anyway. The LP looked a LOT cleaner but had a few pops and clicks in the first track (maybe scratches and not dirt?) I am going to do another today.

My experience so far: Stay away from the elmer's carpenter's glue. Takes forever to dry, and never seems to fully cure. the sections that DO dry are brittle, and break easily.

Time to go RTVsilicone shopping...

ozmoid said:
My experience so far: Stay away from the elmer's carpenter's glue. Takes forever to dry, and never seems to fully cure. the sections that DO dry are brittle, and break easily.

Time to go RTVsilicone shopping...

No problem with the elmer's carpenter's glue, so long as you thin it out sufficiently. I use an old credit card for this, and wipe the excess glue off the card off with a rag. instead of using the tabs, I use a fine needle and impale the glue (horizontally) at the outer edge and lift...doing so carefully so as not to scratch the record.

I notice that after I remove the glue flavored fruit roll-up from the record, the record has a massive static charge. Could be because it is so dry here on account of the cold spell.

Attachments

• A-7 019.jpg
    A-7 019.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 419
  • A-7 021.jpg
    A-7 021.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 566
My experience today:
The glue dried ok,and everything peeled off except for the outer and inner blank grooves.The pops and clicks were greatly reduced,but what a pain.I think ill try silicone,also.
Jimmy

The massive electrostatic charge the record is developing is making it hard to get those pesky bits of glue off as well.

A bit of fair warning: Not only, don't try this with 78s, DO NOT try this with lacquer or other recording discs (i.e. Audiodiscs, RecorDiscs, Presto, Wilcox-Gay Recordio, and such like). It won't peel off, or you will succeed in peeling off the lacquer coating! Likewise for early aluminium bare-metal discs: once the glue's on there, you're stuck, literally!

Hi

why don't you buy just DiscoFilm?
I use this since the 80ies for really hard jobs. Perfect results when u do it accurate.
no problems to take off the film in one piece.

its not cheap, i still try to find out the recipe of the stuff, but its worth it. I pay 25$ for 500ml, whats good for ~>24-26 sides (12-13 records)

An example:

and a little Tutorial:

The Applicator helps to apply the minimal needed amount on the record, without it it would be a mess. the bases are very useful too, i need more of them and will by another starter set for getting more of those.

The time to dry depends on.... i leave it overnight to be sure.

a source: http://www.protected.de/artikel_1000/1108.htm

Helge

Jay Pemberton said:
A bit of fair warning: Not only, don't try this with 78s, DO NOT try this with lacquer or other recording discs (i.e. Audiodiscs, RecorDiscs, Presto, Wilcox-Gay Recordio, and such like). It won't peel off, or you will succeed in peeling off the lacquer coating! Likewise for early aluminium bare-metal discs: once the glue's on there, you're stuck, literally!

That caution has been mentioned, but it can't hurt to reiterate this. :thmbsp:

I have a couple of old 78's that have large chips on the outside I may give a try using RTV when the weather warms up. :scratch2:

soundoc03 said:
I would like to try Discofilm but the distributor does not appear to ship to the USA.

Check out ebay and be sure to get a starter set, without it's impossible to use.

http://cgi.ebay.de/Disco-Film-Schal...ryZ27578QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.de/Discofilm-Cleani...ryZ27578QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

the second one ships worldwide

btw - it may seem expensive, but i found out how to recycle it.... i just collected the dried films and boiled it up with hot demineralized water --- and filtered it thru a tea filter - voila, looks like new, i will test it at once. If one can use it 2 or maybe 3 times its a steal...

Helge

Helge,
Thanks for sharing this info and links. What does the container list as the ingredients? Does it act like a PVA glue on non-plastic materials?
- Mario

This thread is very interesting...it reminded me of how clean your hands are after peeling off dried wood glue and it made me think that perhaps if a record absolutely must be saved how about using something like a liquid latex much like is used to make molds of faces for athletic masks etc.? It would dry quickly and should peel off in a single sheet with whatever was on the surface beneath it. Just an idea but maybe an expensive one:scratch2: , I don't know.

Mopic5 said:
Helge,
Thanks for sharing this info and links. What does the container list as the ingredients? Does it act like a PVA glue on non-plastic materials?
- Mario

nothing. if i would know the ingredients... it is water-solubly, elastic as ruber (less then latex), transparent, it doesn't smell - no more info. i tried to get Kontakt to the Producer, but none of the dealers will tell me the name/address...

the tell sometime up to 80 records to be cleaned with 500ml, but: realistic is 12-15 10" LPs. no more. that means for me 1,50$ for cleaning the Record. But: it even cleans records plaid wet...

i thought of latex too, but this isn't shrinking as much and isnt water soluble.. aren't solvents in latex?

Helge

Hmmmmm That is interesting. I have used PVA in the past. Where the "A" here means Alcohol. In the paper making indstry PVA is called "glue." One of the brand names is Evanol.

Old Colony Sound Lab sold a record cleaning kit using PVA, oh, about 20 years ago.

But I hadn't heard of the use of Elmers, or other wood glue.

I might get the gutz to try this.

BTW, my kind of PVA takes overnight to dry and you peel it off by placing masking tape on top of it, and the tape peels it off.

Dynacophil said:
btw - it may seem expensive, but i found out how to recycle it.... i just collected the dried films and boiled it up with hot demineralized water --- and filtered it thru a tea filter - voila, looks like new, i will test it at once. If one can use it 2 or maybe 3 times its a steal...

Helge

THIS is why I love this place.

Pete

Grainger49 said:
SNIP

BTW, my kind of PVA takes overnight to dry and you peel it off by placing masking tape on top of it, and the tape peels it off.

I like this idea. Masking tape or duct tape after it dries probably would work better than a paper or plastic tab...

Back
Top Bottom