Wood Glue as Vinyl Cleaner

The poly-vinly-alcohol is very thin when it drys. It is like a facial mask. It is also clear. But taking a 1" wide piece of masking tape and rubbing it firmly on the surface of the PVA makes it lift in a single piece, well, sometimes a single piece, sometimgs 4 pieces.

You get the picture.

This is the last example of too thick of a glue application. I’ve since cut back on the amount and haven’t had to deal with this.

4hkmzpt.jpg

Another undried band after 6 hours-

2dgl56r.jpg

Small “break out” of wet glue from band during peel. These were small and thin so I just let them dry where they lay.

4bf9dt1.jpg

After an hour… flecked them off completely with an index card.

2py8038.jpg

Another, more “traditional” use of wood glue for cleaning vinyl. Vacuum chamber RCM.

Well, I'll be dinged!
It actually worked. I had gotten a copy of Harry Nilssons "Harry" a few months. Eyeballing it, it looked mint. Sounded horrible tho! Heartbreakingly so. I had given it a manual cleaning (No RCM), but it made no difference. This was about the noisest record I have ever heard.
Well, tried the glue trick today. Was a piece of cake. Took about 3 hours to dry. Came off in one big piece. Gave it a spin and it is DEAD quiet. I mean, hardly any noise at all. Went from the noisiest to one of the quietest records I have.
Wow!
Two thumbs up on this tweak!

Mopic5 said:
SNIPGearhead,
A guy I trust said that the ideal spread across an LP surface was 30 grams. I don’t have a scale; so I’ve been just doing it by feel - returning excess to the container. SNIP
- Mario

30 grams is a weight measurement. Has anyone ever converted this to a volume measurement? Say a tablespoon? Or a table spoon, + a tea spoon?

I could see using a dedicated set (from the kitchen) for this, letting the residue dry and peeling it just as you do the record's coating at the same time...

A few years ago I got a pile of acetates, some of which were quite dirty. I was reluctant to use normal record cleaning fluids and brushes. Pure water didn't even begin to remove the dirt. I found an online post about coating acetates with rubber cement. Bottles of rubber cement have a brush built into the lid, which makes it easy to apply a coating. I brushed on a thin coating, let it air dry for several minutes, then rolled it off. The dirt came with it, leaving an acetate that looked and sounded new. I never thought of using rubber cement on normal LPs, but after reading this thread I will give it a try on the next noisy LP that I come across.

outlawmws said:
30 grams is a weight measurement. Has anyone ever converted this to a volume measurement? Say a tablespoon? Or a table spoon, + a tea spoon?

I could see using a dedicated set (from the kitchen) for this, letting the residue dry and peeling it just as you do the record's coating at the same time...

Assume thats it sthe same density as water.......... 30grams = 30ml volume. Close enough.

BigErik,
Glad this worked for you and Harry. Did you have an old turntable to make the application on or did you spread the glue around with the record unmoving. I'm curious whether the application needs the spin for a uniform film.

Goofytwoshoes,
I'd use wood glue over the rubber cement. My gut feeling is that the distillants in rubber cement might prove harmful to the the plasticides of the record. I'm not a chemist, and I don't know this for a fact - but anything that is strong enough to require ventillation maybe unfriendly to vinyl . But then again, if you've got one to sacrifice on the glue alter - offer it up and let us know how it goes.

- Mario

jeffn said:
Assume thats it sthe same density as water.......... 30grams = 30ml volume. Close enough.

If thats a decent estimate, then its = to 1 oz. or 2 table spoons. :scratch2:

Mopic5 said:
. . . Goofytwoshoes,
I'd use wood glue over the rubber cement. My gut feeling is that the distillants in rubber cement might prove harmful to the the plasticides of the record. I'm not a chemist, and I don't know this for a fact - but anything that is strong enough to require ventillation maybe unfriendly to vinyl . But then again, if you've got one to sacrifice on the glue alter - offer it up and let us know how it goes.

- Mario

I am with Mario. If I remember rubber cement, the carrier is really punjent. I bet it would melt an LP.

Hi

i recycled the Discofilm stuff i told you last week about a second time today - and took some pix...

In the first pic u can see the glas i stuffed the dried old films i collected suffed in.

attachment.php

then i filled ~400ml demineralized water ontop of the stuff!

attachment.php

The mix i this time put into the Microwave - medium power, 4 minutes...

attachment.php

attachment.php

afterwards agitating it a while with a spoon.... and again, with every agitating period it gets better, the left is before the first agitating period, the right pic shows it after 3 x 3min of agitating the glue.

attachment.php

this is the record on the base with the applicator on it

attachment.php

the next pic shows the filled applicator with the amount for one LPside

attachment.php

after turning the applicator one time slowly in circle over the record this is the result

attachment.php

attachment.php

after drying off (3-4 hours depending on the amount i used...) i peel it off. i don't need strips, i get a start with fingernail.

Best, Helge

Attachments

• DFRec 0004.jpg
    DFRec 0004.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 1,233
  • DFRec 0005.jpg
    DFRec 0005.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 1,232
  • DFRec 0006.jpg
    DFRec 0006.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,223
  • DFRec 0007.jpg
    DFRec 0007.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 1,219
  • DFRec 0008.jpg
    DFRec 0008.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 1,221
  • DFRec 0009.jpg
    DFRec 0009.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 1,227
  • DFRec 0010.jpg
    DFRec 0010.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 1,217
  • DFRec 0011.jpg
    DFRec 0011.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 1,224
  • DFRec 0012.jpg
    DFRec 0012.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 1,236
Here's a type of glue that you want to avoid using for this:

Crayola Washable Project Glue

I tried it, and it leaves a residue behind in the grooves after you have peeled the dried mask off.

rulerboyz said:
Here's a type of glue that you want to avoid using for this:

Crayola Washable Project Glue
I tried it, and it leaves a residue behind in the grooves after you have peeled the dried mask off.

Hi

thats no good :) even if it is washable, its no use, i could wash the record at once. the glue-thing should make no washing necessary in addition.
I tell u, check Discofilm out :)

i use one bottle the 3rd time now, its getting fewer, but it works as the first time...

Helge

I'd stick to wood glue or spring for the Discofilm that Helge suggests with his ingenious reclaiming method.
As for the amount of wood glue per side, Jeffn’s conversion is right on the money - 30 ml. Which, if you have a bottle of NyQuil hanging about, is the full dosage line of the plastic cup that comes with it.
In application, a laminated card seems to work better as a spreader than an old credit card. I use an old turntable @ 33 rpm – but this is a luxury that many may not have and may not be necessary. I suspect a platter size piece of wood with a 5/16” carriage bolt would make a fine hand spinning application jig.
-Mario

I also found that it is necessary to make sure you that the layer extends from the outer edge of the record to right where the label begins. Otherwise you end up with stray pieces of glue on the inner ring that are difficult to get off. Only trouble then of course is that you are more likely to spread some glue on the label by accident.

Yup. Loose ends or islands of glue in the run-out won't lift with the peel. Making sure these islands get attached to the main "puddle" is what you want to do. Back-swiping this area after the main puddle is put down with just touch more glue - and bringing it up toward the label as Rulerboyz attests, captures these strays.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried this and had it work out to be nothing more than a great big PITA? I've done the procedure on 2 different albums, the first time the glue was probably a bit thin and was a royal pain to peel. No big pieces, just a lot of small ones with many fragments left over. The second time I used more glue, not excessive, but definately a heavier coating. Left it dry for almost 3 1/2 hrs, and had the same result trying to peel it. Fortunately, I have one of those Groovmasters, so I was able to clamp it up and remove the remaining bits under the faucet.

The end result in both cases was- the albums sounded exactly the same after the glue treatment as before. No improvement whatsoever. They weren't scratched, but just sounded noisy. One of them had a spot that made a big "thump" sound for about 3 revolutions, and it's still there. But I don't see anything at all on the surface with bright light. So I won't bother with the hassle of this again.

Thanks to the person who first posted about this, I really had hopes of it working. Glad it works for some of you. I'm always open to new ideas regarding vinyl care, I guess this one just isn't for me. Seems like there must be a better way of doing this.

OK, about the discofilm... since it is water soluble/recyclable, has no smell and seems to be such a guarded secret... perhaps it contains gelatin???
Kris

stuckinthe70s said:
Just wondering if anyone else has tried this and had it work out to be nothing more than a great big PITA? I've done the procedure on 2 different albums, the first time the glue was probably a bit thin and was a royal pain to peel. No big pieces, just a lot of small ones with many fragments left over. The second time I used more glue, not excessive, but definately a heavier coating. .

My latest try at this was also a disaster. It was because I tried a new glue:

Welbond: More Than Great Glue. (Do not use this glue!!!)

It's a white glue that looks like typical woodglue, however it did not work anything like the original glue I tried. Once it had cured, it would not pull off in one piece, and it became evident that I would not be able to get it all off. So I tried putting on more glue. This time it was even worse. I ended up having to put the album in a tub of hot water. Now that album's probably scrapped. You're in trouble if your glue cures into a silky smooth film that is reluctant to want to peel of easily in one piece.

The only glue so far that I've liked was Lepage Carpenter's glue.

The only PVA glue I know over here is called "Selley's Aquadere". Selley's make heaps of stuff over here.

I but a really dodgy maxi and if it screws it then who really cares - its not getting any better.

Just trying it so I will let you know

Tried yesterday with PVA adhesive (not sold as wood glue) which was a lot cheaper but took a long time to dry .. I got impatient at the last minute & decided to peel off when there were still small white patches left..
Peeled ok except for the white patches .. so redid again overnight now waiting patiently ........

The record is a duplicate I have, & was very dirty with lots of surface noise before I started .. in fact so bad I avoided playing it

Back
Top Bottom