WOOD PLINTH / CASES - Original or Custom-made?

Do you want your gears in original casings or would you have them dressed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
index.php

Stunning!

-Dave

Beautiful work. I will need at least one plinth for a Dual 1219. Bookmarked this thread, not that I'll be able to match your quality workmanship.

They look absolutely fabulous....

You should subscribe to this website "audiokarma.org" and sell your products by way of a subscribers service known as Bartertown. Only subscribers have access to Bartertown....and it's where members sell things.

I'm posting samples of my work and would appreciate much your inputs. some people prefer the original stock design (me too) but old vintage gears sometimes need new clothes. would you opt for a new solid design or stick to the old plinth / cases?
If I had your wood working skills, I would definitely opt for "new solid design". Absolutely beautiful work.

These look fantastic. Great job. i have been wanting to built a custom one of my YP-211 but the table doesn't really warrant the price more than a DIY attempt.

These look fantastic. Great job. i have been wanting to built a custom one of my YP-211 but the table doesn't really warrant the price more than a DIY attempt.

its my dream to make a plinth for something like that, a YP-211 or an SP10. I mean where the wood is the body itself (no metal frame platter) that would be a challenge on how to put the motor inside a solid wood. No problem with the tonearm not much moving parts, i'll just carve the base that's it. but with the platter like yours. how to? it would be easy with a wrap-around design but i can imagine how gorgeous that would be in a 'SOLID" chunk of wood.

Hope you consider building one. The challenge and the fulfillment once its done is worth it. besides, YP-211 is one of the best design turntable

thanks

its my dream to make a plinth for something like that, a YP-211 or an SP10. I mean where the wood is the body itself (no metal frame platter) that would be a challenge on how to put the motor inside a solid wood. No problem with the tonearm not much moving parts, i'll just carve the base that's it. but with the platter like yours. how to? it would be easy with a wrap-around design but i can imagine how gorgeous that would be in a 'SOLID" chunk of wood.

Hope you consider building one. The challenge and the fulfillment once its done is worth it. besides, YP-211 is one of the best design turntable

thanks
Safe to assume I need to send the entire turntable to you? Message me on pricing please.

A beechwood stair I dismantled and change of situation. Took the last spare steps of beechwood and I designed, cut, assembled (last two done by a pro-friend of mine) then mounted and modified the base (pro-friend again) before doing the lacquer and paint. The lacquer and paint await their last layers but it will be incomparable to the original wood lookalike laminated stuck-on MDF plinth it came with first.

IIRC, all Thorens decks had crappy plinths because Thorens did not want to make them. from the very beginning they expected people to supply their own and they also built the tables to use SME tonearms and visa versa. Hence, the Thorens tonearms were less than stellar in the 70's.

Back
Top Bottom