Woofer Baskets: Stamped? Cast? Forged???

musichal

poet emeritus
Some company's bound to do it, or have done it... forged aluminum woofer baskets. I would think. Know of any? NBD?

Not a metallurgist here. Forging is often used for strength, or wear resistance of tools, or in severe applications,IMO. I certainly see no cost or application advantages of forged over cast woofer baskets. Stamped or cast is plenty sufficient. Not landing aircraft. Not to say it has not been done.

Last edited:
Die cast generally.

Some real early examples were cast iron.

Most modern pro drivers are die cast aluminum, Altec, EV, JBL, etc.

Altec made some woofer and HF driver motor return pots from cast steel.

Agree with Old Guy8, don;t see where the tensile strength of a forged product would offer any advantage, it's simply not called for.

Early AR and KLH

KLH Model One
index.php

early AR-3a (AR-3 woofer)

reassembled.jpg

Some driver baskets may have been made using a low pressure, permanent mold. This process is similar to die-casting but uses gravity rather then pressure to get the molten aluminum into the mold. It is also a much cheaper mold to make vs a die-cast mold. Since the permanent molded frame's tolerance would be fairly close, its critical parts could be precision machined. There can be ejector pad markings on the molded part, but would not be as detailed as those from a die-casting.

The surface texture of a permanent mold casting would also be rougher then a die-cast, due to the parting compound used to separate part from mold.

I'm not sure what YG Acoustics uses for speaker baskets. I do know their cones are machined from solid aluminum and so are the cabinets.

Back
Top Bottom