Woofer suggestion for EPI 120C

PK Vintage

Hello,
I removed the vinly on my very nice condition 120c"S planning to veneer and re cap ect them only to find after dismantling them that the woofers has been replaced with 2 cheap radioshack woofers. I guess I should have taken them apart first. Ouch.

I do not want to put too much money into these because even at there bestthey are not worth that much. I do feel though that they deserve to be brought back to there former glory. After all they will be looking very good after I am done with them so they should sound good to.

Can anyone suggest a good 10" woofer that would compliment them.

New to the Audio world so will really be going by the opinions I receive. Thanks

Decision Made.

Not going to invest in new woofers. Going to go with what I have. But I have a couple of questions.

Can I improve these woofers with Mod Poge? I did it to a sub woofer and it worked great.
What about interior cabinet work, Insulation, Sound proofing. They are already braced from front to back.

I am going to update the capacitors to Dayton 10uf's
Does heavier wiring really help or is it part of the 2% challenge?

Thanks

I had a pair of these long ago....one of my favorites, and IMHO worth keeping/restoring. Check out Human Speakers as to availability and cost of replacement woofers, and modifications. http://www.humanspeakers.com
Enjoy the music

KJR

I had a pair of these long ago....one of my favorites, and IMHO worth keeping/restoring. Check out Human Speakers as to availability and cost of replacement woofers, and modifications. http://www.humanspeakers.com
Enjoy the music

KJR
They have a new replacement 10" woofer now. I haven't used that one, but I have purchased his 8", and had him recone the 10" ones in my A240's. It's not the cheapest option, but the end result will be excellent.

My 120C's came with AccuSonic Woofers not even RS :)
I bought the http://www.humanspeakers.com replacements and even with the exchange rate and shipping to Canada I have no regrets. They sounded meh with the wrong woofers but sound wonderful with the humans.
I wish I had the skills to veneer them

There are a couple of replacements available on eBay right now, or set up a search to automatically email you when more are listed. If you are planning on using these for a while then they're worth the investment.

Hello,
I removed the vinly on my very nice condition 120c"S planning to veneer and re cap ect them only to find after dismantling them that the woofers has been replaced with 2 cheap radioshack woofers. I guess I should have taken them apart first. Ouch.

I do not want to put too much money into these because even at there bestthey are not worth that much. I do feel though that they deserve to be brought back to there former glory. After all they will be looking very good after I am done with them so they should sound good to.

Can anyone suggest a good 10" woofer that would compliment them.

New to the Audio world so will really be going by the opinions I receive. Thanks

What is a Mod Poge?
If you don't replace the woofers, your speakers are no longer EPIs.
Replacing the woofers with originals or those from Human Speakers will make a much bigger sonic difference than changing the wires.
The wiring won't make any difference for such short pieces.

There are a couple of replacements available on eBay right now, or set up a search to automatically email you when more are listed. If you are planning on using these for a while then they're worth the investment.

I looked but didn't see anything. Which ones are you thinking. I really would like to know. Auction # would be awsome.

Thanks

What is a Mod Poge?
If you don't replace the woofers, your speakers are no longer EPIs.
Replacing the woofers with originals or those from Human Speakers will make a much bigger sonic difference than changing the wires.
The wiring won't make any difference for such short pieces.
Mod Podge is a glue sealer. It firms everything up stops flex in the cone. I have used it on a sub with success. I am going to use them in the TV room until I can locate a reasonable set of woofers. The Human speakers are great but by the time I buy them have then shipped to Canada and pay 30% exchange It is going to cost me about $225 US. Rebuilt they are only worth maxx $150 US to an enthusiast. So there is the dilemma. I can buy 2 sets here for that price.

I was looking at auction #122372544928 but I think it may be a listing error. Seller says it came from a Model 150 which has 8" woofers.

Found a set of originals on Ebay. These speakers are getting the full treatment including removal of vinyl to be replaced with Vaneer. Caps and Posts as well. I will post some Pics under a new rebuild thread.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.
I was looking at auction #122372544928 but I think it may be a listing error. Seller says it came from a Model 150 which has 8" woofers.

Thanks Swechsler. They were actually 10" woofers not 8". They were listed wrong.

Back
Top Bottom