Workbench photos

Adjusted? Sometimes the calibrator might calibrate stuff at 20.1V power rail (within calibration guide tolerance) and when you adjust it to 20.00 after the rail blew up, calibration might be a bit off. Just to name an example. This is a fear I have with the test gear I have adjusted (with a recently calibrated meter) and use.

Is this fear very rational? I have done this with a HP 334a and 651b that AFAIK have never been calibrated outside of the factory, all the parts look original. PSU rails were off within tolerance but got it down to 25.004 (bet it drifted up the next day).

By the way, John, you have about as a superb test equipment setup as I have seen even an image of.
Not quite sure what you are refering to about Adjustment vs calibration. I guess that is why I used the term adjustment. I by no means would say I calibrate any equipment but I do go through the service manual and checl and "adjust" if necessary the various parameters. Especially if something was needing repair to get functional. For clarity, I'm talking about the used test gear I got. My only way of "calibration" is by comparison- I do have a Fluke 289 DMM that was factory calibrated-- so I'm pretty confident that if I "adjust" other things using that -- I'm close enough for the girls I go out with.

Thanks for the nice words about my set-up! it seems like allot of gear when I look at the pics but I will say , more often than not, I use every piece at somep oint in a rebuild.

I like it! looks like four Oscilliscopes -- or are they something else? I can almost make out a Kiethly. I have a 2015 and love it.

I like it! looks like four Oscilliscopes -- or are they something else? I can almost make out a Kiethly. I have a 2015 and love it.
On the left are a Tek TDS-340 digital scope on top of an HP 8590L spectrum analyzer.

The other 2 are a Tek 2445A analog scope ( my daily driver) on top of a Panasonic/Levear VP-7725D distortion analyzer.

I was using the Keithley for distortion analysis, but the internal generator doesn't have good enough specs for some of the amps that cross my bench. The VP-7725D is rated at .0001% THD (!).

One thing I forgot to ask you all is if you have any type of fume extraction. If not, why not? I keep feeling like I need to build something and vent it out the window next to me.

Ray - Lookin' good brother! It needs a "Home Sweet Home" sign though maybe?

Dave - I've seen first hand the assembler workbench at a place I used to work in the '80's tested for lead fumes from soldering. Zero were detected. If you suspect you're allergic to the smoking rosin get a small fan to suck away the fumes. The assemblers where I work now just use cheap ones about 4-5" size to do that.

Man, you guys have not idea how hard I try to be that neat.... My bench is usually a BIG MESS!
Kudos to all of you :bowdown:
Yeah, so is mine. Just because the pics I post show a clean bench doesn't mean it stays that way. It looks like a bomb hit it when I'm working.

I used to clean up my bench between tasks. But that was before my bench revamp. Now it's large enough to have 2 things going at once. It's a recipe for a bigger mess!

And to prove it I just walked out to the garage and took a quick pic:

20180428_103855.jpg

Feel better? :jump:

Yeah, so is mine. Just because the pics I post show a clean bench doesn't mean it stays that way. It looks like a bomb hit it when I'm working.

I used to clean up my bench between tasks. But that was before my bench revamp. Now it's large enough to have 2 things going at once. It's a recipe for a bigger mess!

And to prove it I just walked out to the garage and took a quick pic:

View attachment 1174278

Feel better? :jump:
That's an SX-950, I fixed two in two days. That damn power supply. And uncommon zener diodes that ALWAYS fail.

Had a small 8 x 16 shop that was heated and air conditioned before I moved to Utah, I miss it everyday.
Now all I have is a small bench in the sitting room and no place to store anything much less all my tools.

BEFORE
DSC00689.JPG

NOW
Sitting room bench.JPG

I think I win the clusterf#%k contest! Between projects now (2 500c's, x101d ).not visible are a 2 kw isolation transformer & a 1 kva regulated power supply. Meanwhile, just jammin' with the little dynaco sca-80q thru crimson burhoes, killin'brewskies...:eek:

Attachments

• 20180428_221826.jpg
    20180428_221826.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 74
Awww, that makes me so sad- you had an awesome space- everything looked so beautifully set up. :(

Well, I reckon it gives me something to look forward to.............getting out of here and getting a place where I can setup shop again.
My shop was not only good therapy for me but, provided me a small but, needed income and a sense of value and purpose, so the sooner the better.

i have the smallest workbench in here... :rflmao:
A7WIMzs.jpg

NnbCSXt.jpg

:beerchug:

I just finished work on a 2330, BOTH CHANNELS BLOWN! With as many TRs on each channel and no power cable slack to test board voltages, it was a pain. At least nowhere as near bad as a Pioneer SX-990. May I ask what the issue was?

A blue transformer? Interesting.... At least you can listen to your records while you work! Seldom does a home or pro repair shop use a turntable for work tunes.

Back
Top Bottom