Working on acoustics.

bob06

Addicted Member
Been adding some acoustic panels to my room and a skyline diffuser. I have no clue what I'm doing. Just putting them up where I have read they should be. But I can say it's starting to sound pretty good. What a difference they make. Bass panels behind speakers and high in the corners. Also first reflection spot and will be adding second reflection spot. Been adding little at a time so as to not over do it. First picture no flash.IMG_0653.JPG IMG_0661.JPG

Not sure what to do on the back wall. Part of it is concrete with a fireplace in it. I'm trying a diffuser there plus a couple of fake trees to soften it. I have a two inch Styrofoam panel covering the fireplace hole for now. Maybe cover it with some fabric and a couple of panels. :dunno:IMG_0656.JPG

The best improvement to SQ in almost any room is acoustic treatments.

There is a point where overdamping can occur but it it takes quite a bit as a percentage of wall space,
you will be impressed with the gains made.

Nice. Agree with Joe.

You might, however, try some experimentation. I took a slightly different tack with my arrangement. I put the the skylines behind the dipoles to diffuse the rear wave rather than absorbing it. I also diffuse the rear of room with decorative dividers. Bass trap placement and distance to front wall determined empirically by lots of trials while measuring the results.

Nice. Agree with Joe.

You might, however, try some experimentation. I took a slightly different tack with my arrangement. I put the the skylines behind the dipoles to diffuse the rear wave rather than absorbing it. I also diffuse the rear of room with decorative dividers. Bass trap placement and distance to front wall determined empirically by lots of trials while measuring the results.
Thanks! I will try the skylines behind the speakers.

Very nice room and setup! Looks great. As others have mentioned, you are on the right track, and certainly experiment as much as you can with things. In the end, it is your ears that matter! Enjoy!

Been adding some acoustic panels to my room and a skyline diffuser. I have no clue what I'm doing. Just putting them up where I have read they should be. But I can say it's starting to sound pretty good. What a difference they make. Bass panels behind speakers and high in the corners. Also first reflection spot and will be adding second reflection spot. Been adding little at a time so as to not over do it. First picture no flash.View attachment 1357803 View attachment 1357805

You’re doing a great job. You should add a panel at each of your second reflection points and a couple of panels on that rear wall and you’ll be all set. Maybe relocate that diffuser on the back wall to the wall above your turntables so you have two in that spot.

Please be sure to provide feedback on the improvements you hear as most people have no idea on how much of an improvement you can get with acoustically treating a room. Best bang for your buck in audio by far.

As reference I have 11 - 4’ x 2’ acoustic panels in my 12.5’ x 13.5’ dedicated listening room and it sounds sublime, however you can over do it as I did when I added panels to the ceiling. Sucked all life out of the music. They quickly got removed.

Last edited:
You’re doing a great job. You should add a panel at each of your second reflection points and a couple of panels on that rear wall and you’ll be all set. Maybe relocate that diffuser on the back wall to the wall above your turntables so you have two in that spot.

Please be sure to provide feedback on the improvements you hear as most people have no idea on how much of an improvement you can get with acoustically treating a room. Best bang for your buck in audio by far.

As reference I have 11 - 4’ x 2’ acoustic panels in my 12.5’ x 13.5’ dedicated listening room and it sounds sublime, however you can over do it as I did when I added panels to the ceiling. Sucked all life out of the music. They quickly got removed.
I have some experimenting to do for sure. I have a couple more panels for the second reflection point and a couple of 7 well quadratic panels that I will try behind the speakers. The panels that are behind the speakers now will be moved to the back walls. That will give me a total of 8 panels, 4 skylines and 2 quadratic panels to play with. I will add more if needed. :thumbsup:

OK, We have some 2'x4' 7 well Quadratic diffusers to try behind the speakers. Plus the back wall will be getting some upgrades as well. :dunno:IMG_0672.JPG

Front wall diffused. It's starting to smell like a wood working shop with all the fresh cut wood. I'm taking a break then will try them out. :rockon:IMG_0674.JPG

I had a set of Mye Sound stands made for the 1.7i's also. They should be here on the 8th. Looking forward to trying them out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom