Working on acoustics.

This is my ceiling in my room made from tongue and grove knotty pine. You can see why I was concerned about holes. With these panels thumb tacks will work. Also there's a beam that runs down the middle so one panel on each side of the beam. :thumbsup: IMG_0709.JPG

Bet it sounds as good as looks. Very nice.
Some time i hope to do more than my sleeping bags and lawn furniture cushions in my room.

IMG_0727.JPG IMG_0728.JPG IMG_0721.JPG I redid the panels on the side walls. One side of my room wall has a window in it so I couldn't mount the panels. I made some stands for them but couldn't get them to sit straight or level because of the thick carpet I have. So I hung them from the ceiling on a thin 3/32 cable track. Hung the panels from the cable with monofilament fishing leaders. You can hardly see the wires. Looks like the panels are just floating there.

I also added two more Aurelex panels to the ceiling. One at the first refection spot and the second over by the listeners head. And finally mounted the panels on the back wall. Now I am done. :banana:IMG_0717.JPG IMG_0720.JPG

Schweet! I remember this note when I was looking at them. "Improved broadband diffusion can be achieved by filling the cavity"

Schweet! I remember this note when I was looking at them. "Improved broadband diffusion can be achieved by filling the cavity"
Yes you can fill them with insulation. Little on the high side for cost. The cheapest place I found them was at Sweetwater.

Outstanding! All the ingredients for sorting out room issues are there and implemented properly. That room and system has to sound magnificent and I love seeing/reading about someone making their journey down the path of acoustic room treatments because it pretty much always winds up being an audio hobby epiphany. And with the Maggie/dual SVS set up you’ve got two more audio hobby epiphanies...the effectiveness of multiple subs and the magic of a line source dipole.
Very nicely done, man.

-Michael

@bob06
Really good setup Bob. It looks great, and your speakers are off the front wall far enough, that your gear rack doesn't interfere with the sound stage etc. Nicely done!
It must sound wonderful.

Dave

@bob06
Really good setup Bob. It looks great, and your speakers are off the front wall far enough, that your gear rack doesn't interfere with the sound stage etc. Nicely done!
It must sound wonderful.

Dave
Thanks! It does sound great. It was well worth it. I thought about moving the gear to the side wall but not sure it would be that much of a difference.

@bob06
My gear is on the side, but then I don't have enough depth in the room to have it in the center without being stuck right between the speakers.
I think the only way to really know is to try it in both places, but it's such a lot of work doing that, and trying to remember exactly what it sounded like when it was in the center after an hour or two of moving everything, is very difficult.

Dave

@bob06
My gear is on the side, but then I don't have enough depth in the room to have it in the center without being stuck right between the speakers.
I think the only way to really know is to try it in both places, but it's such a lot of work doing that, and trying to remember exactly what it sounded like when it was in the center after an hour or two of moving everything, is very difficult.

Dave
Lots of work. It would probably take a couple of days for me to move and set up anything again. Not to mention I would also need longer cables.

Exactly!
And I think it's great the way it is. I see so many pics of setups where the gear is on a large stand in the center of a large room, and the speakers are crammed up against the sides of the stand and right up against the wall as well. They're missing so much of the music.
Sometimes there's space constraints and they can't do anything about it, but most of the pics show lots of space.
Yours is perfect, and I like your corner treatments.

Dave

index.php

Well there's something I've never seen before! Nifty.

index.php

I really like this photo too. The light-colored panels are soothing to the eyes.

@Old Guy8
That's what I've got too. Cushions from sofas we tossed, and some towels and foam, and one room divider to break up a large cabinet behind me.
But I've tested the treatments thoroughly; with and without them, and they make a heck of a difference in the sound stage and detail of the instruments.
It's just good to hear that someone else uses the same crap that I use.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom