Working SX-980

siamac

PIONEER VINTAGE
Sorry, but I have to tell you what hapened to me today.
Once in a week I´m going to the garbage depot throwing away packages and other stuff from my restaurant.

And there I found a dirty, but beautiful SX-980 ! :D

I took it home and 5 hours later: Here is the result - everything works:

sx9801980.JPG

Why is it I never find anything in the garbage except empty speaker boxes? :scratch2:

Excellent score!

say, do those SX series in Germany have the removable power cord on the back?
What kind of food does your restaurant serve there? I have a craving for knockwurst and dark beer right now.

VintageNut said:
say, do those SX series in Germany have the removable power cord on the back?
What kind of food does your restaurant serve there? I have a craving for knockwurst and dark beer right now.

Some SX have removeable PC and some not. My SX-950 had one, my SX-1050 not.
But these two on the picture are us Versions only running with 110Volts and fixed cords.

My restaurant:

www.hildegards.de

start1.jpg

Siamac,
Just what does this have to do with a nice thick steak? Is this your advertisement to wash that steak down with milk? :naughty:

By the way, nice score on the SX-980!

Retro

Can you still do a Weiner Shnitzel & Pom Fritz wit a real Lownebrau for an old G.I.? Johnsonville brats taste like ass compared to my memories. Back to tje previous thread, sorry for the hijack, but if you've eaten it, you'ld understand :scratch2: !

looking at the nice decor, I can't afford anything there, looks like I'll stay right here in the good ole USA eating hotdogs and drinking a budweiser...oh well...

Way to go! Nice save...a classic Pioneer rescued from an ignoble end...w00t! :D

Nice restaurant! I'd have to bone up on my German (ich vergass fast alles!) to get everything on the site, but I understood enough to get hungry. :D I love a good steak...mmmmmmmmmmmmm! :D At least I know where to find a good one, if I ever realize my dream of touring Europe...

TP

Siamac, a stupid question: was there ANYTHING wrong with that receiver at ALL? Besides just needing a cleanup, that is!
Tom

Last edited:
Waht are the differences in SX-**80s series? How is the SX-980 different from the SX-1080, etc?

More watts in the SX-1080, better tuner, toroidal transformer. The 1080 is the model above the 980. I have a 980 myself, and it's a fine machine, in my opinion, undervalued on Ebay, especially in comparison to a Marantz 2285B, which is great too, but much more expensive on Ebay.

Last edited:
OvenMaster said:
Siamac, a stupid question: was there ANYTHING wrong with that receiver at ALL? Besides just needing a cleanup, that is!
Tom

I thought it would not work. But at least for parts or for repairing.
Somebody cuts the powercord, maybe because he was afraid, someone could put it in a 240Volt jack.

BUT it is working without mistakes. I even didn´t had to change one light ! :D

SX-980 with friends:

IM113245.JPG

Siamac, congrats to this score :thmbsp: Very nice! (I had to pay a bunch of money for mine)

Regarding the restaurant: I have been there some weeks ago. Steaks were very good, so if anybody from overseas comes along it's worth a visit!

A corner of vintage Gear would not be a bad idea, what do you think, Siamac?

Agger

Back
Top Bottom