Worklog: Marantz 2275 Restoration

Worklog complete!

Well so this worklog has finally come to an end...

Has been a great adventure restoring this amp and certainly had its challenges :) it will now take its place above my SR7002 in the TV unit.

Final calibration results were after 1hr of amp warm up time

Power supply: 34.9v
DC Offset: L = 0.2mv R = 0.1mv
Idle Current: L = 9.9mv R = 10.1mv

Now begins the hunt for my next big project while listening to this wonderful amplifier :music: hopefully i can find another great Marantz to restore :D

Last edited:
Congratulation! :beerchug: Your receiver is looking great!

Thanks you for this interesting thread and the wonderful pictures!!! :tresbon:

Just one thing: I wouldn't have done the bass/mid/treble knobs in that position for the pics...

:music:

Last edited:
Very nice work, aokman! I like the attention to detail on the insides, looks like it just came out of the box. This should be a good reference thread for future restorers of 2275s. :thmbsp:

Looks absolutely gorgeous. Incredibly clean. Spotless! Fantastic work. I wish I could hear how she sounds.

Congratulations on some absolutely astounding work!

Haha cheers guys :) I'll put a video up for ya tonight when I hook it up to the floor standers for a.....stress test :D

On a off note heres my next little project while i wait for another Marantz to cross paths with me :scratch2:

basically it will be a amplifier switch box if all goes to plan capable of switching my floor standers between upto 10 amp's to start with im trying 2 though :music:

well i put the model 32 aside for a couple of weeks until the crazy season is over and i can trust my parts will arrive safe and sound so i decided to get my 2275 a woody :)

was not in a great state when i got it, back corner was cracked and split, i have rejoined it back together and blended the crack back into the veneer and 98% invisible :) Other than that there are a few spots unfortunately where the veneer has come off but ill try to deal with that later :)

Anyway i started with a 100 grit orbital pass over it and moved in with the hand paper to finish the outer edges. Ill be finishing it up with a 240grit...

Now i have a Danish oil and a Australia Jarah stain to choose between at the moment, i had a look at some waxes but couldn't really find a decent range to serve my needs.

Anyway i did a quick application of each on the bottom side straight after the orbital just to get an idea of how it would look on it.

I was a bit disappointed with the danish oil, it looked tacky and dated when they mention on the packet that it should bring out the natural warmth in the wood, now if this is just because i didnt sand it to 240grit who knows but i doubt it. But i will give it overnight to do its thing and see if the finish changes...

The Jarah is much nicer and the grain is much more pleasing to the eyes. I will try adding a layer of danish oil over the top of the Jarah as some people recommend just to see the results before i make a final decision...

Another bonus of the Jarah is its a stain so it blends any sections of missing veneer into the underlying wood.

Ive included some comparison shots, let us know what you think please :thmbsp:

Last edited:
Great work, as always and nice pictures, too! :thmbsp:

Interesting design of a woodcase, I never saw this kind before.

I do like the finish of shellack most, but it is a lot A LOT of work.

Here is a (german) how to do it...and pics how it looks like.

Shellak finish

another one

Have fun with your work!

:beerchug:

yes the shellack is a nice finish, i dont think i ready for that yet though and i am going for a more satin finish with this enclosure :)

Last edited:
Beautiful job.What is the biggest difference between pre and post re-capping sonicly?How many hours did it take to do that first class restoration?Cheers,
Dave

Back
Top Bottom