World Cup 2010 In South Africa ......

GlobalWarming

Starts Today.......

I am looking forward to the "Fanfest" here in Hamburg.........For those of you who do not know, every big city in Gemany will have a huge TV screen, with stands like a stadium somewhere, and people gather to watch their favorite teams compete; every other bar will also have big screens facing the sidewalk.....It is like being at the WC, the atmosfere is incredible. Lots of partying and drinking; people go crazy.

I bought tickets for the 1994 US World Cup, I went to most of the games held at Standford stadium ( 92,000 souls capacity), but nothing compares to the energy that I saw here during the last WC.

The US have bought more tickets for South Africa than any other country......So much for the theory that Football will never get a hold in the states.

I just hope that someone that has not won the Cup wins this year for a change....

My favorites to win it all this year are...

The Netherlands
England
Brasil
Argentina
Spain

( Not necessarily in that order)

I am looking forward to see Mexico against South Africa today, and later on France against Uruguay.....It should be a lot of fun; I am taking my kids to the Fanfest for the first time.....

Ive had the misfortune of being on a different continent for every World Cup since my first interest in it in 1982.In the mid 80's I was living in England,and got to see several matches involving Chelsea,Arsenal,etc.Since moving back to Phoenix I have seen the Mexican national team on several occasions here,once against the US team a few years back.
I think Spain has the upper hand this time.It should be a fun tournament.
Jimmy

Spain has a good chance. Argentina (with Messi) may be a contender.
As well as Netherlands, Brazil. It should be interesting!

Well now USA vs England a 1-1 Draw I think you can take England off your possible winners list any time now.

Must have been our home grass advantage.. They are playing on Oregon Rye Grass.

In the first round, I'm looking at these 2 teams from each group to advance to the second round. The teams advancing will also finish in that order, my prediction anyway.

Uruguay A 1
France A 2

Argentina B 1
South Korea B 2

United States C 1
England C 2

Germany D 1
Serbia D 2

Netherlands E 1
Japan E 2

Italy F 1
Paraguay F 2

Brazil G 1
Portugal G 2

Spain H 1
Switzerland H 2

I think Australia could be a nice darkhorse. They were cheated out of a semi final booth in the last world cup by extremely and obviously bad referring that favoured the Italians (who went on to win the thing). FIFA referring is a joke.

I'm quite worried about the event being in South Africa, since it's one of the most dangerous countries in the world (Durban has the highest murder rate of any city in the world I believe and Johannesburg and Bloemfontein aren't far behind).

Dave

So far, so good. Netherlands, Japan, Germany, Argentina, and South Korea all won their opener, while France, Uruguay, England, and the USA tied theirs.

Tomorrow the big gun, Brazil and Portugal...

The vuvuzela drives me nuts...I don't watch because of it.

I'm still watching but that thing needs to go. I bet they ban it from the competition before its over, namely because you're not the only person I've heard say they're not watching because of that annoying sound throughout the whole match...and people not watching is lost $$ for somebody.

Germany looked good yesterday. I didn't see today's matches.

It took me a while to tune this buzzing sound out, but I can imagine the players what they have to go through.
According to some people, the vuvuzelas can attain sound pitches of 125db, that's one VUVUZELAS. If you have 40,000 plus of those little trumpets buzzing in unison, there will be lots of deaf people when this tournament is finely over in early July...

The Azzurris will have to be better if they want to advance, they tied Paraguay 1-1 Come to find out, Paraguay is no slouch.

Although winning 2-0 over the Dane, the Netherlands presented themselves as a slow moving squad.

The best Monday was, Japan over Cameroon, 1-0 for Japan.

Last edited:
The vuvuzela drives me nuts...

xvncj.jpg

Brazil is back in force, and is one of the teams to watch for, with the German España, and Portugal. Strong outside chance are, the USA, Côte d'Ivoire, Argentina, and Japan.

Vuvuzelas, BZZZZZZZZZZZZ all the way...

This last Sunday over 16,000 people came to the "Fanfest" to see Germany play. I was there earlier with my two kids watching Ghana play against Serbia.....
My kids are too small and there were lots of crazy people, so I went home early.....
By the end of the first game there were at least 7 thousand fans.....My kids love it but I feel there are too small, and the crowds where getting wild.

Those Vuvuzelas have to go........

This foto I took earlier, during the Ghana Vs Serbia game.....The Ghana fans went Crazy when their team scored.......There is a big Serbian population in Germany so they came out in force.

Attachments

• DSC00067.jpg
    DSC00067.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 14
Starts Today.......

I am looking forward to the "Fanfest" here in Hamburg.........For those of you who do not know, every big city in Gemany will have a huge TV screen, with stands like a stadium somewhere, and people gather to watch their favorite teams compete; every other bar will also have big screens facing the sidewalk.....It is like being at the WC, the atmosfere is incredible. Lots of partying and drinking; people go crazy.

I bought tickets for the 1994 US World Cup, I went to most of the games held at Standford stadium ( 92,000 souls capacity), but nothing compares to the energy that I saw here during the last WC.

The US have bought more tickets for South Africa than any other country......So much for the theory that Football will never get a hold in the states.

I just hope that someone that has not won the Cup wins this year for a change....

My favorites to win it all this year are...

The Netherlands
England
Brasil
Argentina
Spain

( Not necessarily in that order)

I am looking forward to see Mexico against South Africa today, and later on France against Uruguay.....It should be a lot of fun; I am taking my kids to the Fanfest for the first time.....

I lived in Germany in the 70s, and grew to love soccer, or as you guys call it, fußball, or le foot in France. Although Canada are no match against the Europeans, South Americans, Africans, and the USA, or for that matter anybody else in the world, it has become the sport played by the most people in Canada. Furthermore they are more registered soccer players than hockey players, so it's only a matter of time when Canada will become competitive in the world. I know you probably though it was hockey, no, it's soccer.

My favorites to win, are, in that order,
Brazil, Germany, or Portugal,
strong outside chance are, the USA, Côte d'Ivoire, Argentina, and Japan, not necessarily in that order.

I'm surprise you didn't even give Germany an outside chance...

This last Sunday over 16,000 people came to the "Fanfest" to see Germany play. I was there earlier with my two kids watching Ghana play against Serbia.....
My kids are too small and there were lots of crazy people, so I went home early.....
By the end of the first game there were at least 7 thousand fans.....My kids love it but I feel there are too small, and the crowds where getting wild.

Those Vuvuzelas have to go........

This foto I took earlier, during the Ghana Vs Serbia game.....The Ghana fans went Crazy when their team scored.......There is a big Serbian population in Germany so they came out in force.

It would be nice if we had those big outdoors screens in Canada, maybe in the future, I hope...

Switzerland v Spain - the best match I've seen so far.

I'm backing Germany to win.:thmbsp:

Why do you think it was the best match so far? Because the Swiss won, or the level of play, meaning the passing game of the Spaniards?

I found it boring.......The Swiss play this defensive, super boring game that I hate.

Germany still needs to prove themselves with a worthy opponent; in this cup a least.............

I just read that the Germans had used the new controversial Jabulani ball in some of the Bundesliga games, so they have had more time to adapt to this ball........No wonder...Addidas makes it.
They also always seem to fall in the easiest group....

Last edited:
Why do you think it was the best match so far? Because the Swiss won, or the level of play, meaning the passing game of the Spaniards?

I found it boring.......The Swiss play this defensive, super boring game that I hate.
I didn' watch the first half, but the second was at least exciting. Yes Spanish passing skills were pretty good as were Swiss defending skills, especially their goalie. Much football is boring, but these two teams demonstrated a fair amount of skill between them, except Spanish attempts at shooting at goal were ludicrous. They can't seem to kick straight.

Germany still needs to prove themselves with a worthy opponent; in this cup a least.............

I just read that the Germans had used the new controversial Jabulani ball in some of the Bundesliga games, so they have had more time to adapt to this ball........No wonder...Addidas makes it.
They also always seem to fall in the easiest group....
Germany showed a fair amount of skill, even against Australia.

Honestly, Australia played the first game like a pack of amatuers, we deserved that loss.
It was the wake-up we needed, watch out in the next few games.

Honestly, Australia played the first game like a pack of amatuers, we deserved that loss.
It was the wake-up we needed, watch out in the next few games.

For Australia: :wave:

I think also Argentina are pretty good this time.

Back
Top Bottom