World's Worst "Classical" Album

I hereby nominate "Simon Gale conducts the Symphonic Rock Orchestra in Classical Highlights." It's from the bargain 'Vienna Masters Series,' it's #160 102. Just got about $10.00 worth of these disks at $.20 each....

Mostly, the disks are pretty good. I agree with one reviewer that the Vivaldi is fantastic. But this 'Symphonic Rock' bit is something else. Basically, you've got symphonic pop arrangements of medleys of classical themes, with an electronic rhythm track added. Yes. That.

Sometimes it's not too bad. The album starts out with bits from Strauss waltzes and polkas, and with them the concept almost works. The product is acceptable as sort of upbeat ambiance muzak.

But some other selections are just horribly wrong, which is why I'm calling this a 'World's Worst.' I mean, how can someone take the delicate melody of Bachs 'Air on a G-string' and add a rhythm track? The effect is so obviously awful, destructive of the sweet flow of string sound, that I cannot imagine WHY the thing was done, unless someone involved actually hated the concept and was seeking to sabotage it.

The same result is obtained by adding strings of knocks, thumps and crashes to the soaring melody of 'The Moldau.' Again, I have to assume that anyone actually able to make this music had to know this was a horrible idea. Didn't they?

I suppose the thing actually came to exist because of division of labor. The musicians doing the classical performances didn't have to hear the rhythm tracks (which were added later). Had there been an attempt to add that stuff real time, they would have had to walk out.

Still why was some of the least-suitable-imaginable music selected for this treatment? WHY? There's something perverse going on here. I sense evil.
Too bad Vienna Masters wandered off into such terrifying waters. I have some organ recordings on that label that are nothing short of terrific.

starwars-xmas.jpg

This one... I actually own an original vinyl copy myself (Good thing too, 'cause they don't seem to go cheap... the Star Wars thing and all).

I hereby nominate "Simon Gale conducts the Symphonic Rock Orchestra in Classical Highlights." It's from the bargain 'Vienna Masters Series,' it's #160 102. Just got about $10.00 worth of these disks at $.20 each....

I would nominate any recording made by Waldo de los Rios, a secret agent engaged to destroy the Western classical music legacy, e.g.,

Waldo-De-Los-Rios-Sinfonias.jpg

Last edited:
I would nominate any recording made by Waldo de los Rios, a secret agent engaged to destroy the Western classical music legacy, e.g.,

R-1348531-1211728937.jpeg

I've got to find one of them! If YOU can't find one thing nice to say about it---it's pretty bad. Polydor is an English label--shouldn't be that difficult to do in London.

Ray

Too bad Vienna Masters wandered off into such terrifying waters. I have some organ recordings on that label that are nothing short of terrific.

I've got a bunch I like too. Simple setup--2 or 3 mics, no canned reverb, and competent if not outstanding musicians.

Ray

well i hang around in a certain US based forum too long! :pistols:

Typical Aussie--always blaming the yanks. BTW, why aren't you in London more often. Half of Australia hangs out here in the summer. :D

Ray

Typical Aussie--always blaming the yanks. BTW, why aren't you in London more often. Half of Australia hangs out here in the summer. :D

Ray

i would love to Ray. y r they so tight with their work visa thingy to us commonwealth siblings? unfortunately i've just missed the eligibility for working holiday visa thingy :( if u know any employer who might get me work visa lemme know :D

i would love to Ray. y r they so tight with their work visa thingy to us commonwealth siblings? unfortunately i've just missed the eligibility for working holiday visa thingy :( if u know any employer who might get me work visa lemme know :D

Don't you guys all have grandmothers in Gloucestershire that gets you an automatic pass??

Ray

Don't you guys all have grandmothers in Gloucestershire that gets you an automatic pass??

Ray

unfortunately, i am vaguely informed, my grandma was married to a korean dude who was working for japanese merchants in manchuria in the war days.

Mostly, the disks are pretty good. I agree with one reviewer that the Vivaldi is fantastic. But this 'Symphonic Rock' bit is something else. Basically, you've got symphonic pop arrangements of medleys of classical themes, with an electronic rhythm track added. Yes. That.

Sometimes it's not too bad. The album starts out with bits from Strauss waltzes and polkas, and with them the concept almost works. The product is acceptable as sort of upbeat ambiance muzak.

But some other selections are just horribly wrong, which is why I'm calling this a 'World's Worst.' I mean, how can someone take the delicate melody of Bachs 'Air on a G-string' and add a rhythm track? The effect is so obviously awful, destructive of the sweet flow of string sound, that I cannot imagine WHY the thing was done, unless someone involved actually hated the concept and was seeking to sabotage it.

The same result is obtained by adding strings of knocks, thumps and crashes to the soaring melody of 'The Moldau.' Again, I have to assume that anyone actually able to make this music had to know this was a horrible idea. Didn't they?

I suppose the thing actually came to exist because of division of labor. The musicians doing the classical performances didn't have to hear the rhythm tracks (which were added later). Had there been an attempt to add that stuff real time, they would have had to walk out.

Still why was some of the least-suitable-imaginable music selected for this treatment? WHY? There's something perverse going on here. I sense evil.

You mean there is only ONE?:thumbsdn:

unfortunately, i am vaguely informed, my grandma was married to a korean dude who was working for japanese merchants in manchuria in the war days.

Wow-you really need a visa! I don't know if Immigration has a department for Aussies needing visas. There can't be more than 10 of you inthe world!!

Ray

ud be surprised. i tried my luck once unsuccessfully. perhaps i might give it another go sometime this yr.

From my collection, I'd put up The Moog Strikes Bach, or Switched On Bach(I forget which one). So bad, but I can't part with it.

I'm pretty sure I have one of the those Waldos lps, though. I should check it out. I'm always up for clearing some space on lp shelves.:yes:

Back
Top Bottom