Worst logos

HiFi in WYO

The universe is a big place, perhaps the biggest.
Ok, this may be petty, but I absolutely won't buy Pioneer because of its cheesy logo. They took a perfectly respectable logo with whatever the tuning fork omega ranch brand thing was and nice all-caps font and destroyed it.

So, I was thinking, what are the worst logos in audio equipment?

I can think of a few. The Sanyo logo is bad, that squiggly line Aiwa thing is pretty bad too. I've never been a fan of script fonts, like Phase Linear used.

Then conversely, which are the best? Nice block lettering like Onkyo, Akai, Sony, always appeared confident and masculine to me.

(yeah, I do a lot of graphic design, so I think about these things)

Attachments

• 376510814PioneerLogo_medium.gif
    376510814PioneerLogo_medium.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 40
  • aiwa.jpg
    aiwa.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 38
  • SANyo.jpg
    SANyo.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 37
I've got to agree with that Sanyo logo.
Although, I do like the old logo. It has a very "Japanese-marketing-to-the-Western-World" look to it. The old Aiwa logo had the look, as well.

Attachments

• SanyoLogo.jpg
    SanyoLogo.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 182
Logos are always good if you don't fawk around with them and try to modernize extensively.

I little conservative cleanup and its good to go I think.

I've always thought that the Dynaco logo looks like it was made by a graphic arts student as a Sophomore project.

dynaconew-500x500.jpg

Naptown - For real? That's a neat piece of trivia.

Mac - Yep, I've always liked the Marantz logo.

I have several Akai pieces, love the font. Old Craig stuff had a great font too. Other favorites - McIntosh, Kenwood, HH Scott, I even like the look of the Standard logo on one of my tuners.

NAD's early logo ( call this a logo ? ), where there is no damn dimension in the letters.

Hate those stringly letters, in capitals as a bonus.!

Diyeurk !

But the sound of those early NAD... oh the sound :music:

Attachments

• imagesCAW8E0Z9.jpg
    imagesCAW8E0Z9.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 245
That is pretty bad. Hard to read. The newer logo is much, much better.

Here's another. Old Niles. The new one is okay, but the old one's too disco for me.

Attachments

• niles.JPG
    niles.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
I have to agree about the newer Pioneer logo, hated it right from the git go. The original logo with the straight lettering and the tuning fork/omega symbol was very attractive, but the new one with the soft looking "P" and the smaller letters following it looks so wimpy and unprofessional. Agree on the Sanyo logo too.

I'm not a big fan of the Advent logo with the diagonal slashes that they used throughout the 70's. I do like the various KLH logos from the original company as well as the simple TEAC and AR logos.

wme0z7.gif

Simple and refined. The Nakamichi logo subtly showed their little ‘n.’ The red and white color and the sun symbol: they proudly showed their point of origin: Japan. It fit their products well. It is all different today.

I have to admit the Cerwin-Vega logo always caught my eye.

But that new Pioneer logo: what were they thinking?

The flat iteration of the Mcintosh logo is kind of cheesy but not too awful

mcintosh%20logo.jpg

But once they add the 3d bevel effect it looks really bad. Shame as their gear is quite nice looking
mcintosh-logo1.jpg

I like the denon letterform logo. straightforward, clean

denon%20logo.jpg

The Yamaha is good too, decent symbol
yamaha-current-logo.jpg

The Kef logo is OK, I get the symbol is supposed to be a driver
logo_kef.jpg
But it seems kind of redundant next to the K, seems like they should have incorporated it somehow into the K.

The Bose logo is excellent, but then they know the value of marketing and design.
bose-logo-png.png

Really likes the old 70's Trio/Kenwood and Pioneer logos.
Worst new logos would be Pioneer and Sanyo,also the last 2 Aiwa logos were pretty lousy before they packed up.

I thought the title of this thread was "Worst Logos" ..... not "What logos do you like"?

I agree that the logos in the OP are bad, though for me it's more because of the colors (red/white UGH! Bland.) and not the shape and style of the logos.

Back
Top Bottom