Worst looking classic receiver

TAGO MAGO

Okay, we have had the "best looking receiver" catagory, how about the worst looking piece of receiver. I am sure there is one out there somewhere.

Sort of handsome, in a strange '70s-industrial kind of way. Supposedly they're actually pretty solid receivers--Bose's solid-state electronics back in the day were respectable. As I recall, they made at least one monster power amp, too.

As for the worst-looking receiver, I'd have to say the Hitachi SR-2004 is my least favorite piece of '70s iron, going by appearance. A classic in every sense of the term, but it never looked very distinguished or interesting to me. *puts on flame-retardant suit*

That Bose receiver was a very nice, powerful unit!

These were about as ugly as any I can think of....but cool in its ugliness!

980-1.jpg

That Akai certainly is a "busy looking" receiver....I dunno about ugly though, I think ugly is in the eye of the beholder

980-1.jpg

I was actually going to suggest that Akai line with the skinny angled tuner dial. But looking at it, it isn't so bad -- their later silver plastic recievers with the angled sliding volume control is way worse.

980-1.jpg

I see you have been looking at Milwaukee CL, I thought about getting this but probably not. Akai stuff just don't "do it" for me. Although I thought this one looked pretty cool. I would have liked to see the dial lit up though.

Yes, things really went downhill fast in the 80's. That JVC made me a little sick.....so did that Bose.....BARF

Hello Folks,

Every manufacture has had their fair share of faux pas, especially in the 80’s, but for me it is the Luxman RX-10(X) (Suck Face) line of receivers made between 1982-1984. Technologically pretty cool as the right side of the receiver extends forward flush with the control knobs on power down and retracts on power up. It seems to me that they had a Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde identity crisis going with 70’s Silver and 80’s BPC and clearly a transition piece into Alpine ownership. That said I have always wanted to get one of these buggers.

Here is a photo of the 40 watter in the series, Urizen’s own RX-101.

lux6.jpg

It might be homely, but I am going to get one someday, as it is pure Luxman quality inside!

As for the worst-looking receiver, I'd have to say the Hitachi SR-2004 is my least favorite piece of '70s iron, going by appearance. A classic in every sense of the term, but it never looked very distinguished or interesting to me. *puts on flame-retardant suit*

Come on p.rex, the Hitachi is not the worst receiver you’ve seen!

HitachiSR-2004-02.jpg

Regards,
TB

Back
Top Bottom