Worst looking classic receiver

The 4100 is not a bad sounding amp, far from it. It is as good as any Marantz that I've owned included the legendary 2285 (non-B), which would be the closest competitor. The problem is the cost which IIRC was $1600. It's difficult to convey how cheap looking and feeling the top is, you have to see one in person.

Yes they were $2G when they were last made in 85. In my case honestly I've never paid attention or been bothered by the vinyl clad case on my 4100. But then again I also overlooked the vinyl clad cases on my Sansui G series as well because they were good performers.

I was just looking through this thread and find that I would really like to get my hands on one of the crazy calculator/cash register looking receivers just because they are so strange. I've never seen one for sale in the states and I don't think they were even sold here so I'll likely never add it to my oddities collection.

That Bose receiver was a very nice, powerful unit!

These were about as ugly as any I can think of....but cool in its ugliness!

980-1.jpg
Not pretty but a seriously good receiver.

When the slide control models came along in the early 80's I was fairly disgusted.....Technics had a lineup in '84 that I believe was nothing but square buttons and cheap feeling slides. If I saw one on the road I'd run it over.
Lose the block diagram and insert LED power meters and it would look much better.

No idea what a one eyed catfish looks like, but that is an odd looking receiver.

Back
Top Bottom