Worst. Movie. Ever.

Well there is the hype. the fact that it was written by James Cameron, who rehashed the John Smith/Pocahontas story, all wrapped in CGI 3D gooeyness, certainly puts it in the top 10.

Sure, if someone wanted to make the argument that it's the worst extremely successful hollywood blockbuster ever made, than a few of the listed reasons could be used to make a good argument. Although, I think any of the transformer movies would probably be quite a bit worse.

When has a science fiction movie ever had to rely on these sort of "facts"?

Science Fiction, is always about facts and potential technological developments... case-in-point, 2001: A Space Odyssey (and also 2010). That is Science-Fiction, as are the Star Trek films, and one of my all-time favorites: Westworld. What I mean, is that there is always a scientific foundation (even if it later proven inaccurate or just plain wrong).

Science Fantasy, are films like the Star Wars series who make no attempt to explain any technological developments. Not saying, that they are not enjoyable, they are just not Science Fiction in a strict sense. The Star Wars films, when you come down to it, are an epic "mid-evil" adventure saga set in far distant future. Avatar was however, supposedly, a member of the Science Fiction segment. :)

Last edited:
Science Fiction, is always about facts and potential technological developments... case-in-point, 2001: A Space Odyssey (and also 2010). That is Science-Fiction, as are the Star Trek films, and one of my all-time favorites: Westworld. What I mean, is that there is always a scientific foundation (even if it later proven inaccurate or just plain wrong).

Science Fantasy, are films like the Star Wars series who make no attempt to explain any technological developments. Not saying, that they are not enjoyable, they are just not Science Fiction in a strict sense. The Star Wars films, when you come down to it, are an epic "mid-evil" adventure saga set in far distant future. Avatar was however, supposedly, a member of the Science Fiction segment.

Good grief.

Speaking of James Cameron, I will add Titanic to this list. No the movie was not bad per se, but given that he took an actual historical event and wrapped it in a cheesy love story was an epic fail. Not even Kate Winslet's naked body could save that film.

Last edited:
Speaking of James Cameron, I will add Titanic to this list. No the movie was not bad per se, but given that he took an actual historical event and wrapped it in a love story was an epic fail. Not even Kate Winslet's naked body could save that film.

An interesting glimpse of what goes on in a man's mind (especially the last sentence). heee heee :D

I actually enjoyed Titanic. It was way too long, true, but I still enjoyed it and thought it was a lovely romance. :yes: That didn't keep me from shouting: "you're all about to drown" as the ship was sinking! :music:

An interesting glimpse of what goes on in a man's mind (especially the last sentence). heee heee :D

I actually enjoyed Titanic. It was way too long, true, but I still enjoyed it and thought it was a lovely romance. :yes: That didn't keep me from shouting: "you're all about to drown" as the ship was sinking! :music:

Don't read too much into that last sentence. :D The love story is the problem. This was the titanic, with some very well known people on board. Instead we are sujected to "rich girl goes slumming and fall for poor Jack".

For an effective use of Kate Winslet, both clothed/unclothed, take a look at, "The Reader".

---
- Vacuum tubes are where it's at!

I've also never heard anyone called it "insulting evolution". It was a "feel-good" movie about the dangers of global warming, supported by a great many activists, and wrapped in a science-fiction shell. The television series "Terra-Nova" is another such example, but more believable. However, like most of these things, inconvenient facts are not mentioned. Facts like that while the Arctic is losing ice coverage, the Antarctic is gaining it at a phenomenal rate. That, however, doesn't play well with the hysteria of Terra Nova (which is actually quite good) or the media frenzy of Avatar. Regardless, seen strictly as an entertainment, I would definitely recommend the TV-show over that, that... propaganda film, Avatar. :D

Global warming was never an issue in the movie, most of earth's resources had been depleted by the timeline in the movie. Hence why they came to mine unobtainium. Methinks you are mistaking goofy Al Gore's movie with this one.

Global warming was never an issue in the movie, most of earth's resources had been depleted by the timeline in the movie. Hence why they came to mine unobtainium. Methinks you are mistaking goofy Al Gore's movie with this one.

Well, no, Al Gore's fantasy movie is another thing entirely! LOL... For me at least, the core message of Avatar was ecological awareness, devolution, and the entire global warming debate. On the latter, its director said as much. :D

I have to say about Avatar, on a very positive note, I did like the special effects. Those were spectacular! :)

However, like most of these things, inconvenient facts are not mentioned. Facts like that while the Arctic is losing ice coverage, the Antarctic is gaining it at a phenomenal rate.
You have provided an excellent example of inconvenient facts not mentioned.

When you discuss Antartica, there needs to be a delineation between land ice and sea ice. While it's true that sea ice is increasing (but not at a phenominal rate), land ice, which is more important overall, is decreasing. According to NASA, Antartica has been losing more than 24 cubic miles of ice a year since 2002.

The irony is that scientists believe the increase in sea ice is being caused by warmer water temperatures, which leads to more water in the atmosphere, which causes more snowfall.

There is quite a discussion about both movies over at politicalchat.org. I think that it would be wise to continue further discussion about them over there.

Anyone ever seen Andy Warhol's Frankenstien? Frank Zappa's 100 Motels, The Monkeys, Head. Wow they were all reallllly bad.

Andy Warhol's Frankenstien was pretty good after smoking a gram of blonde Lebanese hash before going into the theater.

There is quite a discussion about both movies over at politicalchat.org. I think that it would be wise to continue further discussion about them over there.

Why? We are discussing "worst movie ever". Leave out the tree hugging rhetoric, and there is still plenty of fodder for why Avatard is the worst movie ever.

Agreed. I tried to limit my remarks to what has been measured and observed, with no mention of possible causes.

.. there is still plenty of fodder for why Avatard is the worst movie ever.
While I've seen worse, I'm not fond of Avatar. My wife hated it. She thought the effects in the first half were pretty cool, but thinks the second half makes the film a complete waste.

Suppose Avatar had been made fifteen years earlier, no 3D, no great CGI, but same weak story. Would it have been good, bad, or mediocre?

---

Suppose Avatar had been made fifteen years earlier, no 3D, no great CGI, but same weak story. Would it have been good, bad, or mediocre?

---

It would have been even more mediocre then it was... :lmao:

It would have been Dances with Wolves. How do you rate that?

:boring::boring::boring: :boring::boring::boring: :boring::boring::boring: .... Followed by "The Postman" and "Water World"... I wonder what they all have in common? :scratch2:

Mediocre is probably a good description which is a far cry from worst ever.

I think what has a lot to do with labeling it "the worst" has to do with that it (Avatar) was so incredibly mediocre, yet so incredibly hyped. Thus, "the worst" is a knee-jerk reaction to the media frenzy around it.

Back
Top Bottom