Worst musical gift you ever received

Archguy

Official Roiurama Factory Rep
Now that the gift-giving season is safely behind us, what's the worst gift of music you ever received?

In my own case, the obvious one was from many years ago, and I confess I wasn't very gracious.

51sGFcugDhL._SX450_.jpg

Then again, I didn't like the person who gave it to me, so who knows? Could have been deliberate.

I swear it was called "The Kenny G Christmas Album" but apparently memory fails me.

Can anyone top this? Awful as it is, I bet there's something worse out there..

I've been dragged to a few bad musicals over the years.

What's going on with that G cover?
In my head, I'm hearing the kid thinking to himself, "Come on dad, stop being such a wuss and play that thing like Bechet!".

Someone once gave me a CD of popular music from the year I was born, 1961. Don't think I ever spun it.

Got tickets to go see John Tesh with some friends from church a few years back _
I am a fan of (early) Yanni (at the time) and some new Agey stuff,
but Tesh did NOT impress me - I tried to not let it show ...
That wanker!

An LP of German drinking songs from my grandmother when I was 8 or 9. The funny thing was, the LP was probably recommended to Gran by a store clerk.

Got tickets to go see John Tesh with some friends from church a few years back _
I am a fan of (early) Yanni (at the time) and some new Agey stuff,
but Tesh did NOT impress me - I tried to not let it show ...
That wanker!
Tesh did an absolutely horrible Christmas show here in West Palm at the Kravis performing arts center....about half was self promotion and promoting his charities, and saving the planet....then lame light show and music with heavy reverb. which didn't suit the type of music..We stayed till the end to be polite but were pretty much alone....

A CD compilation of local bands I can't stand. I did find a good use for it though: I carry it in my 1965 Fender Super Reverb and use it as a drink coaster while playing gigs.

Got Frampton's Come Alive for Christmas and I couldn't hide the revulsion on my face. Felt bad about that.

DVD of Can't Stop The Music.

O.M.G. This one is new to me, definitely needs the graphic to go with.

url

Love love love the pull quote from the Movieline review. Could mean anything.

About musicals? My sister dragged me to "We Will Rock You" in London.
At intermission she asked for my impression. To be as polite as possible,
I said "Well it's not the worst musical I've ever seen..." (It was 2nd worst)

O.M.G. This one is new to me, definitely needs the graphic to go with.

url

Love love love the pull quote from the Movieline review. Could mean anything.

About musicals? My sister dragged me to "We Will Rock You" in London.
At intermission she asked for my impression. To be as polite as possible,
I said "Well it's not the worst musical I've ever seen..." (It was 2nd worst)
I remember Eleanore Ringel writing in her revue " Please God, somebody stop the music!"

I was good friends with a local record store owner who loved practical jokes. I went in his store one day and bought a stack of his $1.00 albums. He yelled over to me to make a pile on the counter by the cash register to free up my hands. I finished looking, he counted them up and told me the total.

I went home and started to sort through my finds and he had slipped in 4 or 5 Guy Lombardo records into my stack. I got a good laugh out of it.

A couple of months later I was in his shop and he said he had to use the toilet and could I keep an eye on the shop. I said sure and the minute he went into the can, I went over to his cheapo section and pulled out several Mitch Miller albums and put them in the display area of the front window of his store. I got a call that night and it was my friend laughing. He said he always checked out his front window when he locked up for the night to see how it looked and if he should change the displays. He said he did a double take.. I remember he said he was wondering why nobody came into the store after I left.

Back
Top Bottom