Worst packaging ever nominee

MunkeyQ

I'm a courier with DHL, and I've got to say that 90% of the parcels I deliver are well packed. Arcam do seem to pack their CD players on a budget though...

However, today I got one which was really exception. No packaging whatsoever. It's a car subwoofer and tube, which was shipped without any packaging, and not even a grille over the driver. The port and end cap were just loosely thrown inside the tube - I'm actually amazed they didn't fall out somewhere on the way.

The driver's cone must have been hit at some point as the dust cap is punched in. And the address label was taped and glued to the carpet side. Easily the worst example of packing I have seen!

Needless to say, the customer didn't accept it due to the damage.

Attachments

• DSC00023.jpg
    DSC00023.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 364
  • DSC00024.jpg
    DSC00024.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 454
  • DSC00025.jpg
    DSC00025.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 424
I've often wondered what the inside of those car woofers looked like. :D

There are all kinds of shippers in this world. Thanks for the insight from an expert in the field. It looks like the shipper of this woofer needs some training in the life experiences of a shipped package.

Interestingly, the sender's address was a car audio shop. I guess they don't do much mail order stuff...

The sheer stupidity of leaving the cone completely unprotected is beyond me. Not to mention just throwing bits and pieces in the end of the tube.

Well I thought the amp shipped to me in a just big enough box with an extra piece of cardboard for "padding" was the worst but you win.

the sender's address was a car audio shop.
To think the person who did that actually has a job...

That is wild. It made me laugh. Someone needs to post more pictures like that!

As I've stated in other posts I work in shipping and receiving. We get cartons of woven labels from overseas. Many times what happens is there are sleeves of labels on top of cartons that are literally flattened like pancakes in order to get them in the carton. My coworkers and I used to get upset about it as we would never pack that way. Nor would we have be able to get away with it ourselves. We're so used to it now that sometimes we just laugh because it is so ridiculous. What is wrong with people?

Sit it "woofer down" and now you have a nice trash can next to your listening chair.:yes:

Someone needs to post more pictures like that!

Here's a pic I posted on this same topic a while back. This is an old school Sony CD changer for a vehicle wrapped in stretch wrap only (no box or padding...or tape for that matter), sent from eastern Canada to me in Colorado. The CD changer works just fine, btw.

attachment.php

MikeCH, I think I've found the person who packed your CD changer :D. See the similarities?

w19ttl.jpg

I had to deliver this prime example of very poor packing today. It's a computer, wrapped in ONE layer of thin bubblewrap with no other protection...no corner protectors, padding, nothing.

Nothing was rattling around inside and the wrap wasn't torn, so the customer accepted it. I advised her to check it first before I went, but she seemed happy.

Could it be possible that some people think that if you see the item you will be more careful with it and not just throw it around.

Or are they:

1. cheap
2. lazy
3. Just plain stupid
4. All of the above

That's crazy!

Heck, that's nothing.

Friend of mine runs a sort (supervisor) for UPS... he has described cases where people:

- shipped an anvil with just a label stuck to it

- shipped an ENTIRE CAR EXHAUST SYSTEM with just a label stuck to it (this apparently happens a LOT)

- shipped BALL BEARINGS in a single-wall cardboard box (6x6x6 inches, no reinforcement... became a football, then a rain of ball bearings)

- shipped a car differential assembly with just a label stuck to it.

Apparently, that's SOP in some companies... :wtf:

Regards,
Gordon.

MikeCH, I think I've found the person who packed your CD changer :D. See the similarities?

w19ttl.jpg

I had to deliver this prime example of very poor packing today. It's a computer, wrapped in ONE layer of thin bubblewrap with no other protection...no corner protectors, padding, nothing.

Nothing was rattling around inside and the wrap wasn't torn, so the customer accepted it. I advised her to check it first before I went, but she seemed happy.

Why do shipping companies accept packages that are obviously not packed right? :no:

That doesn't make sense either.

Terry

Back
Top Bottom