Worst song that you love

"Telstar"- The Ventures did a cover version that ROCKS. No need to apologise for that one. A couple current ones I love to hate are that "15 for a Moment" song by 5 For Fighting- I think that wahoo belongs back in the Gayties, & that gawdawful "My Immortal" by that gal who sounds like an out-of-tune cat that's being squeezed too hard. But it does have what sounds like Morse code at the end, to let you know it's mercifully about over. -Sandy G.

Carl mentioned seeing Radar Love play for 45 minutes I believe. I assume G-E played the song for the 45..

Yeah, I was referring to Celt's post but didn't quote. ;)
I remember Telstar as a little squirt, I haven't heard it in many years. I imagine it would sound real corny now but I did like it
back then. :) But back then I liked almost anything with a British sound. The Ventures didn't do the one I used to hear I think,
I hope.

Carl (in a possible senior moment) :p:

I have to admit...

That "Rio" by Duran Duran is a great song that I love. most people make fun of that group, but I liked their music when It was new, and still do.

I have two copies of Telstar..One by the Ventures...and one by the Tornados..

I enjoy the Ventures version better ....

as for who wrote it ...thats the '$64 question'!!!!!!

Still great tunes...I get that 60's feeling..wehen I listen to them....ya know ...'the Atomic Age' ...and all that !!!!

In no particular order...

they're coming to take me away - hahaheehee.....

I'm too sexy for my shirt

and anything by Yoko Ono

Re: In no particular order...

Originally posted by Mr Natural

anything by Yoko Ono

Its the worst song that you 'LOVE'...not just the worst song(s)..... (but then again ...some people like Yoko!!)

speaking of Duran Duran (who sedinitely have a place in this thread)... I always quite liked their song "Hungry Like the Wolf".

Three Little Fishies (Itty Bitty Poo)

Down in the meadow in a little bitty pool
Swam three little fishies and a mama fishie too
"Swim" said the mama fishie, "Swim if you can"
And they swam and they swam all over the dam
Boop boop dit-tem dat-tem what-tem Chu!
And they swam and they swam all over the dam

My hero Kay Kyser produced that. Him and Spike Jones are the best.

How about Chickery Chick? Gawd I'm old.

Anthony

Originally posted by Reel 2 Reel
I have two copies of Telstar..One by the Ventures...and one by the Tornados... I enjoy the Ventures version better... as for who wrote it ...thats the '$64 question'!!!!!!

The original version of Telstar came from the Tornadoes, and the inimitable Joe Meek. The Ventures were basically a cover band. I've got a vinyl greatest hits album of early-sixties Ventures, and other than "Walk - Don't Run", they are well-executed covers of other artists' hits. They also did the "Hawaii Five-0" theme song, which I always liked.

Reviewer Irwin Chusid described Joe Meek as "visionary, tempermantal, and self-destructive.. part Thomas Edison, part Phil Spector, with a smattering of Ed Wood, Jr., he was a largely self-taught inventor, and a primative, intuitive engineer."

Telstar should have made Meek a millionaire, and the Tornadoes houshold names, but for a series of unfortunate circumstances. Hundreds of thousands of pounds in Telstar royalties were withheld in a fimsy French copyright infringement suit. After six years, a French court ruled in Meek's favor -- a year after he'd "painted the walls of his studio with the contents of his skull."

A fascinating story, if you ever get a chance to look it up.

Paula

Originally posted by Paula
Here's my list:

Telstar - The Tornadoes

All I Have To Do Is Dream - The Everly Brothers

Forever In Love - Kenny G

My Dad - Paul Petersen

Diane - The Bachelors

(Anyone heard of any of these? If so, you should probably keep it to yourself :para: )

I've held back commenting in this thread, but IMO, NOTHING by the Everly Bros belongs in it. Don & Phil made very fine music, and had considerable influence on ensuing generations of musicians. Just my two pennies.

:cool:

Originally posted by Paula
The original version of Telstar came from the Tornadoes, and the inimitable Joe Meek. The Ventures were basically a cover band. I've got a vinyl greatest hits album of early-sixties Ventures, and other than "Walk - Don't Run", they are well-executed covers of other artists' hits. They also did the "Hawaii Five-0" theme song, which I always liked.

Reviewer Irwin Chusid described Joe Meek as "visionary, tempermantal, and self-destructive.. part Thomas Edison, part Phil Spector, with a smattering of Ed Wood, Jr., he was a largely self-taught inventor, and a primative, intuitive engineer."

Telstar should have made Meek a millionaire, and the Tornadoes houshold names, but for a series of unfortunate circumstances. Hundreds of thousands of pounds in Telstar royalties were withheld in a fimsy French copyright infringement suit. After six years, a French court ruled in Meek's favor -- a year after he'd "painted the walls of his studio with the contents of his skull."

A fascinating story, if you ever get a chance to look it up.

Paula

Dang it Paula, why'd you have to go and mention that?! Just spent over an hour reading up on Meeks...of course I read about his death first, being the morbid ghoul I am.

To answer the question of who wrote Telstar, it was primarily Meeks along with Dave Adams. His being screwed around by a legal system reminded me of Edwin Armstrong.

Anthony

FISH HEADS FISH HEADS ROLY POLY FISH HEADS

Well, I dunno if that counts as a song, 'cause it's more like a chant...

I know it's not the worst song but I'm so hapeeeee I just found my Complete Works of Goober & The Peas WILL YOU STILL CONSIDER MEEEEEEE

RAWK ON :bigok:

Originally posted by heathkit tv
Dang it Paula... His being screwed around by a legal system reminded me of Edwin Armstrong.

HA! Armstrong was a hack and a johnny-come-lately! :tongue:

:ntwrthy: de Forest is de Man!

Originally posted by Trilln451
...This is supposed to be about BAD songs!

Trill, I'm not 'zactly sure what this this thread is supposed to be about. I guess we've been invited to admit to liking songs that are widely regarded as P'sOS by the cultural intelligentsia (ignorentsia?). Which is kind of a backdoor way of getting us to admit that we have no taste :headscrat

Lee was actually a bit of a scoundrel and had been sued numerous times concerning less than honorable business dealings. He tended to exaggerate his inventive contribution on more than one occasion and has been accused of even co-opting other's works.

In other words, my kinda feller! :p IIRC his Audion was based on the "Edison Effect" which was pretty much a misunderstood phenomenon and one which Edison didn't bother pursuing. Tommy was no angel either but he did actually come up with quite a few more original ideas overall.

On the other hand (five fingers!) Tesla has been effectively buried lo these many years. To a certain extent this does indeedy have some conspiracy behind it.....one of the curators of the Smithsonian concentrates on Edison, most likely due to the funding they receive from various pro-Edison institutes and corporations (including GE). Ahhh, the American way, he with the most money gets to rewrite history, thank you George Orwell.

Anthony
P.S. And what of Charles Proteus Steinmetz? For that matter, who made the salad?

Kay Kaiser ! Wow, hadn't thought of him in years !! Remember his "Jingle, Jangle, Jingle (I got Spurs)"- 1942's version of "bling-bling" ? And then there was the redoubtable "Mairzy Doats" from '47, by the Merry Macs. And Art Mooney's 1948 hit "(I'm Looking Over) A Four-Leaf Clover" which a bunch of wags remade in '78 as "(I'm Looking Over) My Dead Dog Rover"....HehHehHeh -Sandy G.

There were certainly some terrible songs recorded and sold by the Fugs but being the sick individual I am I enjoyed them. They were terrible and terribly funny and completely politically incorrect.
David Bromberg's "Send me to the lectric chair!" Judge Sericca please!! That was awfull and I loved it.
Rockey Racoon by the Beatles! Who thought that was good music? Why Don't We Do It In The Road?,.......well that had it's merits, but again it didn't stand up to their Birthday song.
We used to stand around, beer bottle in hand and sing "Demon Alcohol" by the Kinks, not because the song was great but because it was funny and if anyone tried to play the House Of The Rising Sun once more their guitar and possibly themselves would have been thrown in the fire.
There was lots of great tasteless music that was popular. How bad is the Hokey Pokey and how many know it?
The 1st song that I danced with a girl to was some awful thing that was about "Crimson and Clover" over and over. Yuk!! I will have fond memories about that song as long as I live but couldn't beguin to guess the name of the girl whose feet I tromped on.
My sister listened to the Herman's Hermits, some of that really sucked but I bet to this day if she heard it she would like it.
Jeramiah was a Bull Frog!!:puke: I bet you tap your toes to that one.
Alice's Restaurant............you can get anything you want, excepting Alice, at Alice's Restaurant. That was a great milestone in the history of music.
Jamie somethings version of The Sinking Of The Titanic.
Dirty Love by Frank Zappa! the poodle bites, the poodle chews it (c'mon Frenchie!)

Lots of well loved trash out there, new and old.

Back
Top Bottom