worth buying?

Everything depends on how much they cost, what you want, and condition. Never heard of them, but they may be perfectly fine. If you want classic collectible speakers whose value will appreciate, probably not a good choice. If you want some speakers to listen to, they might be just fine. But, of course, they need to work - people are surprisingly inattentive to whether all drivers work in speakers they are selling - and the condition must be such that you, or the higher authority, would allow them in your house. That's not a given. Not at all...

KLH model SX-8 speakers

Those speakers sold in 1994. I did a Google search on the model number and there are a few AK threads. See, e.g., http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/mystery-speakers-klh-av44.764713/

That thread took me to Audio 1994 that showed the specs for the SX-8 on page 247. It is a 3-way that had a MSRP of $300 in 1994. At that time, KLH was living off the reputation they built selling good stuff from the '80s and earlier. From the specs I don't see anything remarkable about the speaker.

Listen to them and see what you think.

This is a site dedicated to vintage audio, and so equipment that has the name of a great old company but is actually the product of a different company is likely to be viewed with suspicion, particularly if it is made with a design philosophy that differs from that of the original. That doesn't mean it is necessarily bad (and, in some cases, can be very good), but it is unlikely to appeal to those who love the original designs.
Most of the companies from the golden age of audio made their own fair share of turkeys, and, very often, usually at the lower end of their lines, they made products that were at least as much at odds with their standard offerings as the newer products.
The ferocity of the Altec devotee's slagging of the Sparkomatic version of Altec may be the most vivd example, but you can find all sorts of other instances.
Listen for yourself. Don't pay a premium for a name and instead focus on the qualities you care about in the speaker - this is good advice about all products. It's also hard to follow sometimes - I, too, get excited by reputation.

There are very few speakers that I've listened to that sound bad, not great but still listenable..
Plastic cabinets are another story but still usable.
If i had nothing it would work, would i buy them if i had better? NO.
The only bad is if they don't work.
Strictly my OPINION..

Appreciate your replies.
Found em at thrift store for 10$. I believe I too was fooled by the klh emblem.. nothing special about them after thorough examination. Thanks

Any pics? For future reference for anyone else who may think these are the same KLH from the good days :)
IMG_20181203_115423.jpg I discovered something special about these. They were either stored in or used in a barn. When played they emanate the smell of cowshit, which makes them Truly shitty speakers.
I've only driven them with the old Eletrophonic I am restoring in the basement (not sure any speakers will sound great with this setup). The wife would lose all respect for my hobby if I brought them upstairs. When I get the HK 795I working I'll give em a better test, but the cabs are definitively crap.IMG_20181203_115423.jpg IMG_20181203_115325.jpg IMG_20181203_115320.jpg IMG_20181203_115306.jpg IMG_20181128_130640.jpg If you guys think the drivers worthy, I could transplant them into better smelling cabs.lol

Nothing like Cow Funk!!:naughty:
Anyone drive on I-40 around Amarillo TX at night?
Heading west it's right before the city heading east it's after.
That giant cattle pie that creates this nasty smelling thick methane fog when the sun go's down.:confused:

Anyone drive on I-40 around Amarillo TX at night?

I was born/largely grew up in the area.
I'm pretty sure the Iowa Beef Packers plant is still the largest slaughter house in the world.
30,000 employees?....something like that. Last I checked, it supplied 40% of all processed beef in the U.S.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom