Worth while upgrade?

mrbowtie

I currently have a pair of Infinity Reference Six speakers that are a 4 way speaker and have enjoyed them for years now but Ive run accross a nice set of RS4B's at a good price and was wondering if they were a worth while upgrade? What are your guys thoughts?

Here are the specs on my 6's if it helps anyone
Here are the specs...
Frequency Response: 35Hz - 40kHz (+/-3dB)
Crossover Frequency(ies): 200Hz, 1.5kHz, 4kHz
Sensitivity: 90dB (1 watt/1 meter)
Nominal Impedance: 6 ohms
Power Rating: 35 - 225 watts
Woofer: 10" (25.4cm) IMG
Mid-Bass Driver: 6" (15.2cm) IMG
Midrange Driver: 5" (12.7cm)
Tweeter: EMIT-R

Last edited:
Based on specs alone looks kinda like a lateral move. Sound wise could be a different story as the RS4B's would get you into polydomes and the traditional EMIT's which may or may not be a welcome change for you depending on your personal preferences.
I think the 4B's are rated at 4 ohms which might be a consideration based on what you have to power them with.
If they're cheap enough and in good working condition you should be able to sell them easily enough if you don't like them.
Hopefully someone with experience with them will chime in here.

Owner of 2 pr of reference six's, and haven't appreciated them until I replaced my amp, w/ some high current wattage.
They are somewhat less efficient that the six's, and you'll want an amp that'll dig down to 4 ohms, or less.
That being said, I'd never let a set of Infinity's of that caliber (RS2, IIIa/b, 4b, 5b, 6a/b's) escape my grasp, as long as you A: can afford and B: have room for them.

Buy and offer to other AK members, depending on location, I'd be interested.

Bottom line, it'll be a shame if these are just "parted out" like so many other great speakers, please keep these baby's intact.

Bottom line: you'll like the sound.
My 2 cents stu

I'd agree it's probably a lateral move. I've owned the Sixes and thought they were very good. I'd buy the older Infinities for comparison purposes, if nothing else. Money is always the final atbiter. I echo srb02 in that it would be a shame if the RS4B's would be parted out.

I'd agree it's probably a lateral move. I've owned the Sixes and thought they were very good. I'd buy the older Infinities for comparison purposes, if nothing else. Money is always the final atbiter. I echo srb02 in that it would be a shame if the RS4B's would be parted out.
I agree with you on the parting out. There's a bit of sadness to see any good sounding functional speaker system being sold in pieces.
BUT. There's always a butt. Mines kinda big in fact. (Thank you. I'll be here all week. Please try the veal and don't forget to tip your waiter).
Sorry...I don't know what just happened.:scratch2:
Unless a person is looking for parts.
Myself, I've been stockpiling RSM parts/components for a couple years now.
I've been truly thankful there have been sellers who have parted out other RSMs.

Again, if cost isn't an issue (and they are in good working order), I'd be tempted to give the 4bs a try.

Like the others have said, most likely a lateral move. The 4b's may have slightly more cool factor being they are a bit older with the poly domes and older style emits. (i guess cool is a matter of opinion) I love my RS4 which are the same as the 4b's with a smaller cabinet. If you are strickly looking for an upgrade I'd hold out for RSIIIa/b or RSII or if you are lucky enough to find them RSIIa/b to get into the older Infinity stuff.
Jim

I have a problem with calling it a Lateral move. It depends on the flavor of the sound you want. I like the sound of the Infinities with the Emits and the Polydomes so much more than the more modern ones that this would make a world of difference to me. I restored a damaged set of RS4's including recapping with Solens and they provided imaging and detail that just blew me away. If you like that older infinity sound with all of the instruments and voices right there spread out across the room and out in front of the speakers you won't give the RS4's up. If you don't then yes it is lateral. You have to A/B them and play with placementThe RS4's might not sound right unless recapped though. They are certainly nicer as furniture or woodwork too.
Just my humble opinion though.
Let us know how it works out please.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input guys! They are definatly in good condition and have already had the drivers refurbished so I'm pretty sure they'd be a good buy and I may pick em up just out of curiousity and like you say just to make sure they stay in good hands. What's a set of nice 4b's worth these days?

Also have a line on a nice set of RSiii's at the moment. Must be time to clear our some vintage infinites around here

To me, the RSIII is a bit of an oddball.
They don't seem to pop up very often.
Or I'm just looking in the wrong places.

If you like that older infinity sound with all of the instruments and voices right there spread out across the room and out in front of the speaker

I just got a pair of RS3a's and like them just for this
exact listening sensation. Lots of
what I'd call presence and realism.
playing them with alternating Sansui 717
and Sony TA-N330ES's and Hafler
SH500.
My first Infinities, except for a set of
the towers - think they were the tan
oak vinyl and the two 7/8" poly drivers
per cabinet.
Think they're # 645 or 685...
Altogether different sound.
Just found this thread. Great!

RSIII are a nice sounding speaker. Very simliar to theRS4 accept they have a cone mid range larger cabinet and are a 4 way with the lower woofer crossed over lower than the upper one. Mirror imaged, pretty cool, I like mine.
Jim

Just for clarification, I meant no disrespect towards the RSIII by calling it an oddball.
It's just a model I rarely see mentioned or pictured anywhere.

Just my 2-bits, I really like my RS4b's, probably my favorites in my collection. But you need lots of power to allow them to be all they can. They sounded good on my Sansui 9001 at 130W, and better on my Sansui B-2102 at 200W, but running them on a DBX BX3 in BTL mode at 500W per channel really allows them to sing. Currently they are serving as the front speakers in my home theater system.

Last edited:
Just for clarification, I meant no disrespect towards the RSIII by calling it an oddball.
It's just a model I rarely see mentioned or pictured anywhere.

Hi
I doubt anyone here will be botheres by it. Oddball is a good word here:D
Rob

Back
Top Bottom