Would covering the back of speakers do anything?

davidro

Lunatic Member
Just a random thought.

If I cover the back of the speakers which is inconspicuous say with a blanket sheet of thermal insulation, would it have any acoustic effect?

You could try it and report back.

In my experience the most noticeable acoustic effects are when sound absorbent materials are applied to walls and floors where the sound waves from the speakers interacts with these surfaces.

If it did, I'd expect that you'd find speakers in the store with insulation on the back.

If it did, I'd expect that you'd find speakers in the store with insulation on the back.

The stores need to attract the customers. They wouldn't want the customers to feel that they will have to wrap up the speakers like that.

Damn David....you're getting restless! What are you tryin' to do?

Ya know...I'm this acoustic Nazi...where's my swastika again :smoke:

Well I had this roll of acoustic insulation thermal padding leftover. My storage room is limited and I felt it's a bit of pity wasting all that.

Rather than applying the padding on the wall behind the speakers (and one side is glass-walled), I thought hanging the padding behind the speakers might to the trick.

Probably not as good, but as long as it does have some positive impact why not? It might tame the high notes if any, without causing cosmetic mishaps.

After all, the sound gets bounced from the rear wall because it comes from the speakers. If you block it right from the speakers, wouldn't it do the trick?

I thought perhaps I could attach a towel rail on the back of the speakers and hang the padding over it.

Nah...the Tiny Dancers were banished ages ago.

I think I'm done with them mini monitors for the time being.

BTW, buddy I'm listening to this band called Animals as Leaders at work....can't wait till I crank this up at home with the DB :smoke:

I've never seen anyone do what you're proposing, but that doesn't mean it's not worth trying. You can also try putting it in front of the LF drivers of those OLA's you're planning on using for subs. I put some fiberglass in front of the drivers of my subs and liked the results.

Good call. I was a little concerned about the directness of the woofers.

Perhaps I can use the padding as a grille replacement.

On several occasions I have laminated the back of cabinets with P-lam. The intention has been to clean up the typically unfinished backs of beat cabinets. The unintended consequence has been tighter bass response due to the stiffer back. After the first one (Marantz Imperial 6g's) I have since done the same to AudioAnalyst M8's and another pair that I am drawing a blank on. Currently thinking of doing same to a pair of ADS L620's.

I know that's a little different than what you proposed. But, your query made me think of this. Even with front to back bracing the back is still usually the largest unsupported surface. I suppose that a laminate back is more reflective than painted MDF or particle board. However, I have only had positive results.

it's not necessarily the cabinet resonance/vibration that I want to cancel.

I want to cancel out the reflection, rather.

it's not necessarily the cabinet resonance/vibration that I want to cancel.

I want to cancel out the reflection, rather.

I'm thinking the treatments you're talking about would have a better effect most anywhere in your room except for the back of the speaker.

Reason being?

Reason being I've already been down that road and noticed zero change:sigh:
Spike your speakers, add some bh5 strips to the interior, brace them to the wall, add a sub or 3, change speakers or their position, or remove some furniture from the room if you're really looking to make a noticeable sonic change.

FWIW, I *have* noticed a significant benefit to absorption behind the speakers in my 11'x12' room, particularly with rear ported speakers.

A little update.

Right after I bought the stuff out of which I can make a pair of rails for this project, I've realised I liked the OB configuration better for the sound.

I've given the speakers more breathing space around for the backwave goodness. And it sounds sublime.

I guess I'll find about this thing when I go closed speakers mode again.

Back
Top Bottom