1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

Would the MA-6100'do well with Kilpsch Forte

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by Rmac587, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Rmac587

Rmac587 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hi All,
    http://www.audioasylumtrader.com/ca...Intosh-MA-6100/Integrated-Amp/Serviced/146354

I'm a bit wary of vintage, but this looks pretty good. I'm wondering:
    1-all things considered, this looks to have been well serviced and in good shape. Does it look to be a fairly safe bet? No guarantees I know....
    2-would it pair well with Fortes I (with Bob Crites mods to xover and new titanium tweeter diaphragm)?
    3-fair price?

There is also a very good looking MA 5100 available about 1.5 hours away.
    Thanks, Rob

2. c_dk

c_dk Addicted Member

As the unit is pictured it will not work......the horseshoe jumpers between the preamp and amp section should be east-west not north-south. This would concern me with all the work he said was done. The amp will easily drive the speakers. There is an owners manual for the MA6100 in the AKdatabase if you want to see all it's functions.....

MA6100 is the route to go over the smaller power typically much older MA5100.

3. Rmac587

Thanks c-dk. Good eye!

4. c_dk

c_dk Addicted Member

Have been doing this for way too long.

5. jdwdmi

jdwdmi AKaphile Subscriber

I ran those speakers with that amp and liked the combo. :thumbsup: To get my 6100 to spec was not cheap. By the time you lay down the cash for the amp, at that price, and any service that may need done, you would be better off calling Audio Classics and talk to Ryan. Then you know you are getting a spec unit that will arrive safely. Just my opinion.

6. twiiii

twiiii Super Member

When your 6100 is meeting specs again it will be a great match for a Forte. We were selling them with Cornwalls, Herseys, B&O and Boston speakers. A few folks used them with Rectilinear and even inefficent AR speakers. They sounded great. They even handled ML-1C Mac speakers which could be real power robbers with the MQ 102. If I had to do it all over again, I would have kept the 6200 instead of my 2505 to run my future electrostatic head phones and remote speakers. But hind sight is 20/20. The 6100 would have been a great choice, too, for me. But I had to have those meters. So don't fret.

7. c_dk

c_dk Addicted Member

I do not believe any of the national/international resellers restore the units before they resell them.....bench test them, do a repair if needed, warranty them, but they make no mention of restoration. All important, yes, but most likely does not include the restoration you can negotiate your local tech to do when you purchase locally.

8. Rmac587

Thanks ya'll. I've been torn between new gear and vintage and posted on this in another section. I've had quite a few pieces since a buddy of mine got me into this about five years ago and it has been an obsession. I've become a bit gun-shy with vintage amps since I lack repair skills and time to teach myself. One of my favorites was a Luxman R-1050, but it bit the dust.

I've had good luck with speakers though in recapping and refoaming. Pretty straightforward, and I live in an area with a TON of thrift stores. This has allowed me to finance my obsession, being a low rent guy with hifi dreams. I found my Forte for 50$, stripped off heavy black lacquer to get at the walnut veneer, and modified them with caps and diaphrams from Bob Crites. Beautiful sound. It was an adventure with some mis-steps (like sanding through the d#@! veneer on the corner) that I will eventually post in another section of AK forums.

I am demoing new stuff too, but I keep running across posts on how amazing the McIntosh sound is, and I'm wanting to make sure I hear it before I commit to a newer amp (looking at Creek Evo 50A, Rega Elex-R, Rogue Sphinx and Cronus, or Peach Tree 65SE). I have looked at Audio Classics website it seems like a good option since I can always resell. My budget for the amp is about 1500-2k.

The reviews of the local authorized McIntosh servicers are varied, and that makes me a bit nervous, although I suspect some of the negative reviews are people who might have unrealistic expectations on turn around times, etc... I'd be willing to ship, and pay a bit more, to send a vintage unit to Absolute Sound Labs in Minnesota if it meant getting 20-30 years out of it.

The tough thing about McIntosh now that I've dipped into it is the bewildering number and variety of pieces, and the varied opinions on them since everyone has different taste. It doesn't help that I tend to analyze and research things to death.

This forum has been invaluable and the mentoring I've gotten speaks well for those who just love audio and want others to do the same. I cannot fully express how much I appreciate this.

9. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

As far as I know, Mc never built a bad integrated so you'll enjoy any of them with your Klipsch. Something to consider is that units thru the MA6200 have non-sealed pots. This means maintenance throughout ownership. If that's not for you, then choose a later model.

10. Rmac587

The non-sealed pots are a definite plus. I can do basic stuff, replacing bulbs, and cleaning, so that is an attractive option.

11. Rmac587

12. Rmac587

I see three 6100s. I'm going for one for sure.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  13. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

That said, I like the MA 5100 better reliability wise, and I found it better built. That said, a nice MA 5100 or MA 6100 is superb with Klipsch Forte speakers. My own MA 5100 is driving a pair of Klipsch Chorus right now. And sounding superb doing it.

14. CohibaJoe

CohibaJoe AK Subscriber Subscriber

Soon there will be 4....Will be posting in Barter Town mine(Terry Updated unit) and other gear....Spring Clean Up.