Would this AV Surround system be an upgrade?

Discussion in 'Home Theater & Video' started by DangerBoy, Jul 3, 2018.

1. DangerBoy

DangerBoy Active Member

I currently have an Onkyo TX-NR809 in for the HDMI board replacement.

In the meantime, I started looking at a new entertainment center cabinet since my old one fell apart. I found one I like but it's not really deep enough to accomodate the Onkyo. That started me looking for a newer but second hand replacement with a smaller footprint that would fit inside the cabinet I like. That lead me to find a slightly more modern AVR with a speaker system that I could possibly replace my whole system with.

Here's what I've got right now for my Surround-sound system:

AVR: Onkyo TX-NR809 with HDMI board replaced
    Front Surrounds: Boston Acoustics Classic Series CS260 ii Floorstanding Speakers
    Center Channel: BA Classic Series CS 225 ii
    Rear Surrounds: BA Classic Series CS 26 ii Bookshelfs
    Sub: CS Classic Series Sub10 ii

Here's what I could upgrade?/switch to for not much money after selling the above system:

AVR: Denon AVR-S900W
    Front Surrounds: Klipsch Reference Series RB600 Bookshelfs
    Center Channel: Klipsch Reference Series RC500
    Rear Surrounds Klipsch Reference Series RS400 surround speakers
    Sub: Klipsch Reference Series SW110

I know the Denon AVR S900W unit isn't the lastest tech and doesn't have Dolby Atmos but AFAIK it's a few years newer than the NR809 and can do a few things the NR809 can't.

From what I've read, the above Klipsch Reference series speakers were originally made for the Canadian market. I've not had any experience w/ Klipsch as a brand but it seems from what I've read on AK they have a good reputation and loyal following. I think BA does as well though.

So, would this Denon/Klipsch Reference Series system be much of an improvement from my current Onkyo/BA Classic Series system? Would making the switch be worth the bother?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. DangerBoy

DangerBoy Active Member

I should have mentioned that another option for me would be just to sell off the Onkyo TX-NR809 and replace it with an Atmos enabled Onkyo TX NR747 and then just keep the BA Classic Series speaker system. I'm thinking the cost of this upgrade would only be in the order of $200 or less.

3. Putterman

Putterman Super Member

People seems to have a love/hate relationship with Klipsch due to the use of horn loaded tweeters, i.e. some people think it's the best thing since sliced bread while others find it screechy. I don't have any Klipsch speakers so don't have an opinion. Just as importantly, Klipsch will likely sound very different from the Boston's which you may like more or just as likely regret having purchased.

4. the skipper

the skipper Amateur Curmudgeon Subscriber

Change is easy, improvement, not so easy. The Klipsch speakers will most definitely have a different sound than what you currently have but whether or not it is an improvement is a personal preference,

The speakers determine the overall sound of the system, not the receiver. IIWY, I'd replace the receiver first and see how that works out for you,

tcdriver and awillia6 like this.
  5. imral3

imral3 Super Member

Do you like the sound of your current speakers? Go to a store so you can listen to Klipsch vs other brands to hear the difference and to see if you like the "Klipsch sound".

StimpyWan likes this.
  6. Duane

Duane AK Member Subscriber

I disagree with this statement. I've auditioned many pre/pros and a couple of receivers with the same speakers, and the sonics changed with each unit.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. the skipper

the skipper Amateur Curmudgeon Subscriber

You're allowed to disagree, but I'll stick with what I've said. While electronics might subtly alter the sound, the speakers determine the overall sound signature of the system. I've noticed this from my first days in this hobby in the mid sixties.

Grenadeslio and awillia6 like this.
  8. donprice

donprice Wound up workin' at a gas station.... Subscriber

I had a similar problem so I cut the rear panel of the entertainment center to let the AVR stick out through the back. Much easier to get to the wiring this way ;)

tcdriver likes this.
  9. Duane

Duane AK Member Subscriber

And I'll stick with mine. Also been involved from the 60's on.

10. markshan

markshan Sir Thrift a Lot Subscriber

BAs to Klipsches is a drastic change in voicing. I don't care for Boston, lots of people don't care for Klipsch. The Onkyo may be a hard sell, even after repair. It's not exactly a secret about those issues.