Would this be a good system?

ForeverNoob!

Okay I'm pretty green when it comes to hifi audio but I am hoping to upgrade my main home stereo used exclusively for music. I don't have a special listening room - stereo is against an angled wall in the living room which is open to the kitchen. I will rarely be listening directly in front of the speakers - I want something that sounds good throughout the (small) house.

I need to be able to hook up my smart speaker and I have my music files on a NAS. I don't use CDs but I do have a turntable.

I can really only budget $1500-2000 tops. That is a decent amount of money for me so whatever I end up with is what I'm going to end up with. In other words I will not be buying several options to swap out and play with to see what I like best. Tube amps seem too involved to me.

Currently I have a Pioneer rx-721 receiver and cs-g911 floorstanding speakers. I have a DC servo SL-BD27 turntable, and a BSR McDonald 2630w. The BSR needs work though, as it plays a bit slow even with the pitch control maxed. One speaker cuts out sometimes and I have to turn up the volume to get it to play again (guessing the receiver is the culprit). Speakers sound not bad but I'd like more clarity and tighter bass.

On to what I'm thinking about getting.

Speakers: I like the idea of the Zu Omen DWs ($1100). They are out of stock right now but I can wait. I don't really know what a full range woofer sounds like but I like the wood enclosures and that they are made somewhat locally. People rave about the sound but I've also read that some people don't like them (surprise surprise).

Receiver: Outlaw RR2160 ($850). This seems like a good option for digital music files as well as records. Plenty of power for the Omens. Reviews are mostly positive.

I'd upgrade the turntable later, or at least get the BSR working. Subwoofer would come later if needed.

So my questions:

Is this a good combo? Is there a reason these two items would not go well together?

What else would I need? Fancy interconnects? Upgraded phono cartridge?

Most of my music is vbr or 320k mp3. Are these files going to sound good with this setup? I can replace files with lossless as time goes by but if my library is going to all sound terrible then that's a problem.

What other options should I be considering, especially if I can get by for cheaper?

Thanks in advance!

I cannot comment on the sound of the DWs, having never heard a pair, nor their pairing with the Outlaw receiver. Like you and everyone else, I've read a lot of good reviews of both. Seems a valid choice, far as I know. However, you aren't really leaving anything to address your vinyl playback.

So, I suggest looking at the lightly-used market, so maybe you can pick up a table, too, within budget. It is a strategy that has served me quite well. May require a bit of patience. Good hunting.

I cannot comment on the sound of the DWs, having never heard a pair, nor their pairing with the Outlaw receiver. Like you and everyone else, I've read a lot of good reviews of both. Seems a valid choice, far as I know. However, you aren't really leaving anything to address your vinyl playback.

So, I suggest looking at the lightly-used market, so maybe you can pick up a table, too, within budget. It is a strategy that has served me quite well. May require a bit of patience. Good hunting.

I was planning on using the DC Servo turntable for now until I fix the BSR or build up some more spending money. I'd say vinyl only makes up about 5% of my listening so it's not top priority, although I do want to keep it a part of my system.

I was planning on using the DC Servo turntable for now until I fix the BSR or build up some more spending money. I'd say vinyl only makes up about 5% of my listening so it's not top priority, although I do want to keep it a part of my system.

Good clarification. Still, it may be well worth keeping an eye out for a lightly-used Outlaw, or pair of DWs.

A simple browser-search for Bryston Mini-T speakers recently saved me almost two grand for a pair in pristine condition. Just under half price (including shipping) for speakers essentially new. I'm certainly happy with that find.

I've also bought new. A good sale sometimes. But if you can find some other guy who took the buy-new depreciation hit, and is ready to move on, then that can be a highly advantageous acquisition.

Good clarification. Still, it may be well worth keeping an eye out for a lightly-used Outlaw, or pair of DWs.

A simple browser-search for Bryston Mini-T speakers recently saved me almost two grand for a pair in pristine condition. Just under half price (including shipping) for speakers essentially new. I'm certainly happy with that find.

I've also bought new. A good sale sometimes. But if you can find some other guy who took the buy-new depreciation hit, and is ready to move on, then that can be a highly advantageous acquisition.

Ah yes. Finding them used would be great. Thanks for the tip.

Anybody who has heard the Zu Omen DWs have an opinion on whether the rr2160 would be a viable match?

Should I just get a $250 onkyo tx-8140 receiver if I'm going to be playing mostly mp3s?

Anybody who has heard the Zu Omen DWs have an opinion on whether the rr2160 would be a viable match?

Should I just get a $250 onkyo tx-8140 receiver if I'm going to be playing mostly mp3s?
If you're going to be listening primarily to mp3s it wouldn't be worth spending the $1000 to $1100 for the Zu Audio speakers, they are quite revealing of poor source material. :)

If you're going to be listening primarily to mp3s it wouldn't be worth spending the $1000 to $1100 for the Zu Audio speakers, they are quite revealing of poor source material. :)
Okay, dang. I've never had speakers where it was a problem as long as the bit rate was above 128. It would be a major project to replace it all with lossless. And I'd need more space on my NAS. I'll have to think on this one...

Thanks for the input.

After reading this thread, I'm doubting that you are correct:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....d-vs-mp3-abx-test-online.640307/#post-8506214

Looks like I might have to purge lower bit rate mp3s but 256kbps+ would be acceptable. Certainly 320 would be fine. My hearing is not perfect.

Don't mean to pick a fight. Doesn't that thread seem convincing?

After reading this thread, I'm doubting that you are correct:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....d-vs-mp3-abx-test-online.640307/#post-8506214

Looks like I might have to purge lower bit rate mp3s but 256kbps+ would be acceptable. Certainly 320 would be fine. My hearing is not perfect.

Don't mean to pick a fight. Doesn't that thread seem convincing?
You're free to form your own opinions any which way you like, I have formed mine through personal experience rather than from what some other guy on the internet says. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
You're free to form your own opinions any which way you like, I have formed mine through personal experience rather than from what some other guy on the internet says. :rolleyes:
Your response betrays that you did not read the thread I linked to, but yes, opinions are like assholes - everyone has one and most of them stink. That's why I trust a test run and discussed by several members more than your sole opinion. No offense.

I have no animus here at all, enjoy your music. Zu Audio produced good quality gear representing an excellent value. Peace.

Well one suggestion that I’m surprised nobody has made is to get out and listen for yourself. There are plenty of ‘good’ speakers that aren’t to everyone’s taste. If you live near a large metro area go to a hi-fi shop and spend time listening to speakers. Most of them also carry lightly used equipment with some kind of warranty. Once you’ve found your speakers build the rest of the system around them. Personally I would never buy speakers based on reviews unless they were for an inexpensive second system.

Well one suggestion that I’m surprised nobody has made is to get out and listen for yourself. There are plenty of ‘good’ speakers that aren’t to everyone’s taste. If you live near a large metro area go to a hi-fi shop and spend time listening to speakers. Most of them also carry lightly used equipment with some kind of warranty. Once you’ve found your speakers build the rest of the system around them. Personally I would never buy speakers based on reviews unless they were for an inexpensive second system.
Good approach but I live over two hours drive from Boise and I have a one year old daughter so it's hard to find time to peruse stores. At least Zu Audio has a return period of 60 days with return shipping paid. That makes me think they must really believe in their products.

Good approach but I live over two hours drive from Boise and I have a one year old daughter so it's hard to find time to peruse stores. At least Zu Audio has a return period of 60 days with return shipping paid. That makes me think they must really believe in their products.
Well, I’ve never heard Zu speakers so I have no opinion about them. But it did seem that price is a concern and whenever I’m in a hi-fi store that sells used equipment I often see a variety of very nice speakers in like new condition in the $400-700 range. Only you know how pressed you are for time or if arrangements can be made but I suspect you could get a very very nice system in your budget if you could find the time to audition. Just my two cents.

Back
Top Bottom