Would this be a good system?

What's available used locally? The Zus are nice but not the end all be all.
Have you heard the zu DWs? What would you consider to be on par with them?

I live in a town of 3000 so there is rarely anything used locally. I can keep my eyes open on Craigslist in Boise but that's over four hours (and gas costs) round trip to go look at. Been burned enough times buying used stuff to be wary buying gear like audio equipment that is hard to fully test out on the spot.

Don't get me wrong, this would be my first time to ever buy a brand new home stereo. And probably the last time for a long time.

At least when buying new online there is a return period and a warranty, and I can try stuff out at home. The Zus have a 60 day return-shipping-paid trial period which is pretty amazing. I have to wait until the Dirty Weekends are in production again though.

I have never heard the Zu's but you should check out the JBL 590s I have a pr and I love them. Harmon puts them on sale every so often for less than the Zu's. Quite a few people here have bought them and love them too. Do a search here for their reviews.Google them the review from Australian HIFI is very informative with lab testing. They are returnable for any reason within 30 days. The little brother 580s are also very good

I have never heard the Zu's but you should check out the JBL 590s I have a pr and I love them. Harmon puts them on sale every so often for less than the Zu's. Quite a few people here have bought them and love them too. Do a search here for their reviews.Google them the review from Australian HIFI is very informative with lab testing. They are returnable for any reason within 30 days. The little brother 580s are also very good
Thanks for the recommendation! I'll check them out.

I owned an Outlaw RR2150 (old version)and it was a nice sounding receiver but I am not fully convinced it will be a good match for Zus. My Zus are the Defs, so the Omens will be a bit different.
I tried it with mine and it was a bit too forward sounding for me, but everyone’s preferences are different. I will say this though, both companies will take the time to talk to you about their products and give you their opionions on what they feel will work. I spent countless hours talking to Sean and Garret at Zu and they weren’t pushy at all and even willing to push the trial period out to make sure I was happy. Take your time. Do your research and see if you can find someone locally that will give you a listen.
FWIW, I love my Zus, but I prefer them with tubes. I believe Sean likesthe Peachtree Integrated, which might be found used at the price point you are shooting for but I don’t believe it has a phono preAmp.

Back
Top Bottom