Would you buy an aud11II or an aux1 for twice the price

They are both great but for different reasons, note the AU-X1 has no tone controls or loudness switch. (I own a fully restored example of each :)).

The AU-D11 II is MUCH easier to restore - and eminently suitable replacement OP transistors are still readily available for it.

The AU-X1 is an earlier design, and good as it is, Sansui really did 'pull out all the stops' for this one, it loses out just a little to the superior later designs IMO.

Last edited:
OMG if hyperion has both then i know his favourite has been D11II.
Well thats quite a jump for me .

Last edited:
They are both great but for different reasons, note the AU-X1 has no tone controls or loudness switch. (I own a fully restored example of each :)).

The AU-D11 II is MUCH easier to restore - and eminently suitable replacement OP transistors are still readily available for it.

The AU-X1 is an earlier design, and good as it is, Sansui really did 'pull out all the stops' for this one, it loses out just a little to the superior later designs IMO.
Which Sansui's are a little superior to the X1?

Which Sansui's are a little superior to the X1?
Quite a few of those with the later design started by the release of the AU-D11 II, - not absolutely all of them were a good implementation of that design, the AU-D707X and 907X are 2 of the better ones - all IMO of course. :)

Since the latest round of small improvements to my AU-X1 it is sounding quite a bit better to my ears. ;)

But finding this comparison lark very difficult lately due to having an AU-α907Limited in the house! (not mine) :D

Last edited:

Hyperion is a far better man than I. Though the circuitry is second to none, IMHO the AU-D11ii is a mechanical meadow muffin. It can't stand up to modern shipping without the risk of cracked solder joints on the input board. Miserable to troubleshoot and if any of the controls go bad there are no good physical replacements. They are custom weirdness. Be very careful testing, as it's a full bridge amp. Both hot and cold outputs are hot, so don't ground any test equipment to any speaker terminal.

I think it is acknowledged that the AU-D11 II is far from being well constructed, and as Conrad correctly points out has weaknesses which anything but the sturdiest packing for shipment will find and punish. These construction issues also make it far more difficult to fault find or recondition, making the unit very flimsy with only a few screws removed.

I have owned one for around 10 years and only fairly recently found the solution to a problem that had dogged my example ever since I had it, despite my best efforts to locate the problem. This was primarily caused by some of those construction issues that Conrad so succinctly mentioned above. :D Conrad would have found this problem years ago if he had my unit in front of him, that's why what he says about me is nice, but not true. :)

So your saying that the sound of the 919 is amoung the best and the construction is the best. Also being easier to service being one of the best choices from sansui. Right?:biggrin:

So your saying that the sound of the 919 is amoung the best and the construction is the best. Also being easier to service being one of the best choices from sansui. Right?
All vintage gear has issues with serviceability - the AU-919 is very sturdy in its construction as well as being one of Sansui's best amplifiers. They are a lot of work to recondition, some of this is due to that sturdy construction, the rest being due to a 'belt and braces' design packed into quite a compact case.

From opinions that i have read so far 919 should be weeee bit lower than aud11II in SQ but slaughters it in looks ,build quality and second hand value .imho.
:bigok:

Hyperion. Could you find a9500 to demo. Id like to know your take on the comparison between 9500 n 707x .
Which one is more of a keeper .

Could you find a9500 to demo
Rare as hen's teeth over here - I don't know of anyone that even has one - let alone someone who would actually lend it to me.

The AU-9500 is a funny one, I just wonder why some say it isn't that special, and others who love them to bits, apparently preferring one to many other good amplifiers. :idea:

Back
Top Bottom