Would you buy McIntosh MC-60 monos for 3k ?

biscuithead

Me likes the eargasm retroplasm...
This is what they look like:
upload_2017-8-28_15-25-25.png

this is the description:

"Serious music listeners often prefer the mellow sound of vintage tube (valve) amplifiers. If you are one of those people, these McIntosh 60 watt tube (valve) amplifiers are amazing! They have become sought after and very difficult to get, because the type of sound they produce has become popular again. These are a pair of just refurbished (but not modified) mono amplifiers. They have been thoroughly checked by a technician and all parts (mostly capacitors) that were operating under specification have been replaced. Tubes have been tested and the main power cords have been replaced. They now operate up to specification and have a clean (a clean wave on the oscilloscope and no hum) and beautiful sound like when they were first manufactured. There are a few small scratches on the transformers and some minor pitting in the chrome on the chassis, but otherwise in good condition."

These have been on my want list for about 4-5 years. Should I ?

For not much more you can get a pair of fully restored MC60 from Mekons a/k/a Vintage Vacuum Audio in NJ. That's with new reproduction chrome chassis and transformers beautifully refinished and complete electronic restoration and backed by a warranty.

He lists on eBay from time to time or just deal direct with him. Name is Yves Beauvais.

IIRC ~ $3,600 fis what he gets for a pair.

For not much more you can get a pair of fully restored MC60 from Mekons a/k/a Vintage Vacuum Audio in NJ. That's with new reproduction chrome chassis and transformers beautifully refinished and complete electronic restoration and backed by a warranty.

He lists on eBay from time to time or just deal direct with him. Name is Yves Beauvais.

Thanks.
This is the input I was hoping for. I checked with Terry, and he mentioned 4-4.5k on a primo pair...

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. New MC275 will cost around $6k or so. MC60'a are what I consider to be an all time great. IMO, the MC60 walks all over the MC275 for tube sound. It's the tube rectifiers that make the difference.

Ok, so I bought the pair... but I paid less than 1k each. They are at the doctor right now, getting a check up.

:needpics:

Good pics, not like pic in the OP.

Are you happy with the cosmetics? Seems you got a good deal. :beerchug:

As far as the cosmetics, I think they might be a strong 7. There is a teeny bit of pitting on chassis, black trannies have a few scratches, and one of the mac60 emblems has a break in it upon close inspection. They only picture I took before they went off to the tech was this one:
:Grandpa Hill with kids Sept 2017 009.JPG

I'll take others when I get them pumping juice to the trans-duece

Those should look great with some light cleaning. Hit them with some polish and wax the transformers.

We...need....more....pictures.....:whip:

Those should look great with some light cleaning. Hit them with some polish and wax the transformers.

We...need....more....pictures.....:whip:

I'll see if I can get my wife to polish them up... she use to be good at that :rolleyes:... I'm going to hell.

I see you're treating them literally like babies. :)

I think Graco and McIntosh partnered to make these a perfect fit!:)

Well bought at that price. Congratulations.

Well... I just got a call from the tech and one of them is tits, and the other has had some hack work... so it might be spendy, but still under 5 bills, so good-good.
He is going to bring them to factory spec, and said he will also include one of his old Mac sheets with THD/relative output curve. I'm excited!

Back
Top Bottom