Would you like have your very first car back?

My first car was a 78 dodge monoco. I wouldn't want it back but I would want the car that I traded it even up for. A hot rodded 1948 two door coup. Learned a lot about working on cars from that beast! My car after that was a 1963 Impala ss. BEAUTIFUL car!! I went backwards for a few years there! Like we say about our vintage gear: they just don't make em like they used to. Would sure like to have those two cars again.

Tough to decide what was my 1st car as I was assigned 1of the family's or they bought 1 for me but it was in their name. Of the latter, a Nash Metropolitan was really my baby. Nothing like those suicide door Lincolns I had been driving or the 56' Olds convertible. 1st car I bought was the MG1100. I'd love to still have either the Nash or MG today as each were fore runners of what most drive today and each got only in the 45-50 mpg in city range.

1953 Oldsmobile Super 88 4 Door Sedan ("Rocket 88").

Long gone. It was already an antique when I got it (I was 12). It had been sitting in a garage for about a decade before I bought it from a woman (in her 50's at the time) who I used to do yardwork for in the neighborhood. It had been her mother's and she parked it when her mother passed away around 1970. I got it running and maintained it mechanically for about 10 years after which I sold it because I had too many vehicles which were sitting around doing nothing.

Attachments

• super88.jpg
    super88.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 14
No, I wouldn't want my original car back.

It was a 1953 Chevy 210 four door with a 6 cylinder and powerglide. When I got it (in 1970) was already rusted to death, the kingpins were shot, the brakes leaked fluid, the 6 volt electrical system was flaky, and it would billow smoke when you would decelerate.

Oddly, that thing ran well and was quite fast for what it was. And it was a proud veteran of the "Chip Dip War". (bunch of crazy kids we were screaming around the streets of Fairborn, Enon, Beavercrek in our vehicles throwing oranges, apples, lunchmeat, eggs, cottage cheese, mustard, pickles and .... chip dip at each other in an impromptu "war") But still...... wouldn't want it back.

Now. The SECOND car I had. 1963 Chevy Impala 2 door hardtop. I'd take that one back in a heartbeat.:thmbsp:

Last edited:
...it was a proud veteran of the "Chip Dip War". (bunch of crazy kids we were screaming around the streets of Fairborn, Enon, Beavercrek in our vehicles throwing oranges, apples, lunchmeat, eggs, cottage cheese, mustard, pickles and .... chip dip at each other in an impromptu "war") But still...... wouldn't want it back.

Our version was with donuts. The local donut shot would reduce the price of donuts by a dime every 10 minutes for the last hour they were open until closing time when it was about 1 dollar for a couple of dozen. We've have a convoy of cars waiting til closing time (midnight) to head through the drivethrough to load up with amo and then the donuts wars would begin.

No, I wouldn't want my original car back.

It was a 1953 Chevy 210 four door with a 6 cylinder and powerglide. When I got it (in 1970) was already rusted to death, the kingpins were shot, the brakes leaked fluid, the 6 volt electrical system was flaky, and it would billow smoke when you would decelerate...

There was one of those ahead of me on the drive home a few days ago. Looked like one of those "survivor" things that'd never been touched. Straight but with heavy junkyard "patina".

In the spring of 1975 I bought a 58 Chevy Del Ray that sat out behind some farmer's barn. It ran, sorta, brakes were out and it needed a ton of work. The day after high school graduation (that year) my friend and I tore into it, and by the end of the summer I had a rebuilt 283 with a 3 speed, with a few fun bits like a Holley double pumper, Edelbrock manifold, Hurst shifter moved to the floor, all new wiring, custom dual exhaust (of course with glass packs) and a new paint job.

I ran that car for 4 year, but there was always something needing my attention, and $$$.

I wouldn't have it back if you gave it to me, but it did teach me a lot about working on my own car and that knowledge has saved me a lot of money over the years.

my first car was a 1966 GTO Convertible, Black with Red Leather interior, I didnt have my license yet in 1977 and spent the summer fixin it up...hurst super shifter, muncie stonecrusher, holly dual feed double pumper with electric fuel pump on an offenhauser hi rise manifold...lost my job and sold it all for $350 dollars....never drove it once.
It would be worth about $100,000 now all fixed up...hells yea I would want it back!

my first car was a 1966 GTO Convertible, Black with Red Leather interior, I didnt have my license yet in 1977 and spent the summer fixin it up...hurst super shifter, muncie stonecrusher, holly dual feed double pumper with electric fuel pump on an offenhauser hi rise manifold...lost my job and sold it all for $350 dollars....never drove it once...

That's just plain sad.

I couldn'ta done that "never drove it once" part.

And $350--no words. Somebody was happy, though.

That's just plain sad.

I couldn'ta done that "never drove it once" part.

And $350--no words. Somebody was happy, though.

well...the never drove it once part was not only because I didnt have my License, but because all the parts I picked up had not been installed yet! the guy I sold it to had to put it all together!

I still have mine. I've had it for over 40 years!

Here's a picture of me with it when I was a freshman in college.

GTOMiddleton.jpg

One thing I would like to add. I've had this car for 41 years. I was determined to keep this car because it was my first and I knew that it would be a classic!

It has not been easy to keep this car for 41 years! I've had it from the time that I was in college. It has taken a lot of determination to keep it all this time!

Absolutely, mine was a 67 Firebird. Red with black vinyl top, baby moon hubcaps and a 326. It was gorgeous, but I don't have a single picture of it! Looked just like this except the rims though!

68bdbrd.jpg

The '78 Buick Riviera my Dad let me drive in HS doesn't count.

The first car i paid for was a '71 Type II VW Bus. The answer is: No, i don't want that car back. Got really tired of bleeding the brakes and adjusting the gap.
I've driven Toyotas for the past 20 years and will prolly drive Toyotas for the next 20. Currently a very clean '98 Rav4.

1964 Austin Mini 850, colour 'Almond Green' it had a heater, but no radio. Later it had a Pye Auto-reverse cassette player, a skimmed head, hi-temp valves, and the steering column mounted multi-function switch from a much later Mini (fitted and wired up by me :))

It was rusty in too many places, but was a lot of fun.

mine was a 1950 Dodge. Built like a tank...slow and solid. Bought it from a guy who did upholstering and he had redone the interior.

Back
Top Bottom