Would you through away rca cables because they were too tight.

charles 1973

I just connected up some stereo equipment I had put away and was frustrated at ridiculously tight my THX certified Monster Cables are. I'm afraid they will damage the jacks on my good amp and CD transport. So I am throwing them out. They aren't even worth giving to my friend if they break his gear.

I'm sure Monster Cable isn't the only manufacturer who has done this.

They must be very tight if they will break a RCA jack. If I had a preference I would go for tighter than looser. I hate the ones that are almost ready to fall out. I don't think the electrons care for it that much either. I have some very tight fitting RCA's and I keep them as the jumpers between my amp and preamp. Those don't get moved around too often.

Search AK for 'death grip cables' and read all about it.

I actually had to send my Pio SX-1250 in for service because a phono input jack actually got broken internally from a death grip cable.

Gave away several of them to a friend, not a good friend mind you. He was as thrilled to get them as I was to get rid of them. ;) I don't think that I would ever throw away any otherwise decent working cables though. I agree with donating them so that others can enjoy the pride of Monster Cable ownership. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I just fixed an HK preamp because some death grip cables pulled the ground sleeve off.
I have taken sturdy needle nose pliers to some cables and spread the contacts. A few broke one "ear" off and then they worked great.

Trying to fix the HK by salvaging parts from the scrap pile I found that not all RCA jacks are made equal.
MOST of what was in the junk are really strong. They could take a lot of pull. BUT, there is no easy way to tell if your gear has the strong jacks.
SO, I agree with "throw them away".

Any cable that give me ANY problems gets chopped into pieces so I cannot get it back from the trash.
But then, I can get cables by the hand full from the recycler.

I have been dealing with RCA pin connectors since I played with my mom and dad's victrola 60 years ago. The RCA connectors could put a real gash in your hand back then. They \oxidized quickly and were a pain to maintain. I just got thru buying close to 20 Monster RCA cables with the torx connector. I like the split center pin that you can adjust. I will admit every once in a while I have to get out my prescision needle nose pliers and adjust the outer ring for new installations. But considering back in the 60's and early 70's when I had to clean my RCA pin connectors at least twice a year having Monster cables that perform like new for 10's of years at a time with out issue is just fine with me. Now if there was a way to get the same performance out of Switchcraft tip, ring, and sleeve phone plugs I would be happy!

I just connected up some stereo equipment I had put away and was frustrated at ridiculously tight my THX certified Monster Cables are. I'm afraid they will damage the jacks on my good amp and CD transport. So I am throwing them out. They aren't even worth giving to my friend if they break his gear.

I'm sure Monster Cable isn't the only manufacturer who has done this.

Send them to me.....please !

I'm a disabled Vet that would very much appreciate having those cables.

Personally I only ever had this issue with "Gold Plated" cables and suspect they are made to very close specs and then coated making them just a bit too tight.

Monster was a brand I had this problem with as well (A/V cable), and some other brand I cant recall the name of atm.

Eric

if they pissed me off that much i would add to the copper wire pile to take to the scrapyard . i wouldn't throw away .

Had a bunch of Monoprice cables that were like that ... I used an old RCA jack to stretch them out.

Only several of them broke - but at least I didn't hertz any of the equipment ...

Give them to somebody with a Dynaco PAT-4 as those seem to have undersized jacks. Should be a match made in heaven so long as they don't have to connect the other end to anything.

Hmmm... Would you throw away underwear that's too tight?

Back
Top Bottom