WOW! Best Strat vs. Worst Strat

Discussion in 'Musical Instruments' started by Jayrosc, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Jayrosc

Jayrosc Super Member

Hey. I post this because so many of here on AK devote lots of energy comparing gear. This is a video of two Brits that do a face off between one $3000 Fender Stratocaster against one $100 Fender Squier Strat. I've had both an American Deluxe Strat and just picked up a Squier for 20 bucks. The Strat is a definitive piece of music gear, like a Marantz receiver or a pair of Altec speakers, so I thought folks here might enjoy a very well taped video showing the difference (or lack of) between the best and the worst. Enjoy. it's a fun video.

Celt and teal'c like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. teal'c

teal'c It's all moo

Pounds, not dollars. About $4800 vs $160.
    I've got an American Deluxe Strat and a custom homebuilt my dad made and the difference isn't huge.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  3. Northwinds

Northwinds Huh? Turn what down? Subscriber

I could never bond with any Fender regardless of price. After 40 years of playing, I guess I never will

4. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

stevie-ray-vaughan.jpg

I don't know if SRV original strat fell in your lap I think I'd see some bonding;)

5. louisjames

louisjames The "real" Louis James Subscriber

There's a definite difference between the 24 3/4 and the 25 1/2 school of playing. I grew up playing Gibson's so that's what I'm most comfortable with and gravitate towards. Though I do have a Tele type (G&L ASAT) and have had my share of Strats. I just like the sound of my LP best. And $ spent does not always translate into how good the guitar is. Although it "should." My pal has a Jap Strat that simply kills and I doubt it cost more than $800. Another pal has a CS that cost him close to 6 big ones and we all think it plinks like a banjo. Though I have to say that one of the best all-around Strat's I've played is the Rory Gallagher model. Really smooth and sleek in the hand and a sound that even a Gibson guy would love. That said, I have to tip my hat to the multitude of guys who can make a Strat sing. With a LP it's pretty much a given you can get a blues and rock sound but often not much else. A Strat in the right hands can cover all that and so much more. Then again, most any guitar in the right hands and with the right stuff "under the hat" can rip. Just my 2c's. YMMV. :)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    Bill Ferris likes this.
  6. usedto

usedto Lunatic Member

Pretty much sums it up.:thumbsup:

grillebilly and Bill Ferris like this.

7. JohnMac

JohnMac Addicted Member

When I first started playing I had aspirations of becoming a great player and eventually performing. My first electric was a used late 80s Korean Squier Bullet that my wife bought for me at a pawn shop. Later I assumed that a better guitar would make me a better player so I bought an American Standard Strat and then a G&L Legacy. Both around $1000 back then. Well, as nice as they were, not to mention the bragging rights, I still sucked. I didn't think my skill level justified those axes so I sold them and have since had a lot of fun buying, modding and playing "cheap" guitars.

I've had some really good player friends pick up my guitars and they really make 'em cook. I still have the Squier and it's one my favorites and a lot of fun to play. And I still suck.

Attached Files:

• 015.JPG
      015.JPG
      File size:
      38.5 KB
      Views:
    valvenator and Bill Ferris like this.
  8. mark warren

mark warren Always Learning! Subscriber

American made strats are awesome I have one now but I also have a 1962 made in japan strat that I paid 1200.00 bucks for and they don't make those anymore they were only for sale in asia. It came with texas specials and all American hard ware I rewired it myself, I also have the matching tele as well. I have to say both of my strats are perfect! I use a Marshall 100watt half stack and they sound unreal! VanHalen played a 130.00 strat copy and look what he could do. So If you know how to play that 100.00 guitar can sound as good as a 4000.00 guitar with the right amp! That is just my 2 cents.....:biggrin:

9. JohnMac

JohnMac Addicted Member

Check out Jimmie Page using a '59 Danelectro. Sears sold them for under $100 back in the day.

Here's my modded '59 Dano reissue and a couple of Squier Classic Vibes.

001.JPG

Celt likes this.
  10. 55Redneck

55Redneck Canadian Redneck

I played guitar from 1973 until 2013 (stroke ended that) and I never felt right with a strat in my hands. I love the sound of a strat but always hated where the volume pot was located. My picking style always had my hand close to the bridge and I constantly turn the volume up or down when picking. Never had that problem with my Gibson Les Paul or my Ibanez Roadstar II. I often thought about how cool my Ibanez would sound with a strat P/U in the middle and the strat 5 way switch to play with, Never gonna happen now. :(

cratz2 likes this.
  11. louisjames

55Redneck - sorry to hear that your playing days are over due to health issues. My hands have given out but I still try and pull out the electric when I can. Though most times these days it's just a bit of strumming on my 3/4 sized acoustic. And while there are a great many Strat Masters -- I still have to go with Rory Gallagher as my all time favorite. What that guy could do with a guitar was and is still amazing and I'm now working on yet another copy of Irish Tour after wearing any many over the years.

cratz2 likes this.

12. philo426

philo426 Super Member

I have both a Squire Bullet Strat and a Semi hollow 335 style Harley Benton and you can get cool sounds out of Strats if you put the pick ups in the 2 and 4 position,which blends the pick ups in a unique way.True the neck is a bit thin but they are great guitars with killer looks.The 335 clone has a nice thick neck and humbuckers so great tone both dirty and clean is easy to achieve if you have a decent amp.

13. louisjames

That "in-between" sound was always a bit tricky to get and keep with the old 3-way switch. The 5-way made it much easier and the "quack" from those positions is as we used to say TITS! Then later on we all heard Mark Knopfler and it was like Ah, so that's it.

JohnMac likes this.
  14. philo426

philo426 Super Member

15. JohnMac

JohnMac Addicted Member

Speaking of Strat quack, I'm trying something right now that is supposed to enhance that tonal quality in positions 2 and 4. I'm upgrading a Squier SE with Tex Mex p'ups and new electronics and I'm going to wire the neck and bridge to the tone controls and leave the middle pickup open. The Jimmie Vaughan/Eric Johnson mod. We'll see.

001.JPG

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Celt likes this.
  16. Bill Ferris

Bill Ferris Super Member

Same here !!
    Well put, and I can/could very much relate about the strived for playing skill level, or lack thereof the end results !!
    Too much "Right Brain" dominance, in my case !!
    You are a good, and honest with yourself man, JohnMac..

Have a great week.

Kind regards, OKB

17. JohnMac

JohnMac Addicted Member

Thanks Bill. You have a great week too!

Bill Ferris likes this.
  18. philo426

philo426 Super Member

Well do you like what you play? Or are you dissatisfied with your playing?

19. Rockon1

Rockon1 Well-Known Member

Me either. Settled on RG's almost 30 years ago. Bob

20. valvenator

valvenator curious bystander, serious procrastinator Subscriber

Some people say "it's all in the hands" and Stevie RV with a Les Paul would still sound like Stevie but seriously, it wouldn't be That Stevie.
    Jimmy Page didn't use the Danelectro because it was a better guitar than the Tele's and LP's he'd been using but because it offered a different sound.
    Guitars have a huge impact on how and what we play. My friend's borrowed Les Paul with the P90's made me sound and play differently than my Humbucker LP.

Mystic and Bill Ferris like this.