Wow...I forgotten how GREAT LP's sound!

SixCats!

Hi all,

Well...today, I connected my cheapie $10.00 (GOODWILL) DIRECT DRIVE VECTOR RESEARCH VT 250 fully Automatic Turntable with it's A.T. stylus to my Bedroom system. Mind you...this was a temporary/test (i.e. half Ass) set up with the TT sitting on a large plastic Rubbermaid type container. At any rate, I connected the TT to my ALLIED 333 TUBE Receiver w/JBL 4311B's. This is the FIRST time I have tried any TT with the ALLIED 333. Searching my modest collection of LP's, I found an old favorite...a M&K REALTIME "LIVE" DIRECT TO DISC LP titled "FLAMENCO FEVER". In a word...WOW! Despite a few pops and clicks...I can NOT believe how wonderful this 1978 Disc sounds! Guys...after all these years...the more I EXPERIMENT and play with gear, the more I am seeing my way CLEAR to what (and how) I want to set up my future ULTIMATE modest system. I now have reached the age that I MOSTLY listen to JAZZ, BLUES and LIGHT CLASSICAL. I now believe the type of system that will fill this niche best will be a...Integrated PP Tube amp and a VERY GOOD Turntable! (I also listen to Sat. SIRUS music). Presently, I am VERY pleased with the performance of my JBL 4311B's (although I think I could get BETTER performance if I were place the JBL's on some custom made HEAVY speaker stands). DARN IT...why oh why did I ever sell my LINN LP-12 or my THORENS 160 SUPER so many years ago! Oooh well. At any rate...there is MAGIC in those Record grooves!

Regards,

SixCats!

I've just rediscovered vinyl after many years of absence. I can't get over how good they sound in my system, seem so much more alive and vibrant than CD's. More depth and warmth to the sound, the way it was meant to be heard.

YEP! Now...while I do find CD's MUCH easier to use, there is no doubt there is just...SOMETHING special about LP's. I admit that I HATE it when there are bad POPS in the records. Should I ever get my modest ultimate system set up, I will invest in a NITTY GRITTY record cleaner! I am told that makes a WORLD of difference in playback.

Regards,
SixCats!

I use a cheap lint brush I bought at Walgreen's with some 90% alcohol and distilled water to clean my albums. The lint brush is very mild to the albums and picks up all the dirt pretty well. I use a 1 to 3 part solution of alcohol to distilled water for the solution.

cd craze

thats great. be very careful about vinyl addiction. it can be costly, you may soon find yourself in constant search of mint LPs and slumming all local thrifts and yard sales! i too had to rediscover vinyl, but lately i've been asking myself, why so many of us were so eager to jump on the CD bandwagon. i remember, everyone thought CDs were bombproof etc but some steadfastly remained on the side of vinyl. how did so many of us just accept the format change.... i cant wait to be able to walk into a mainstream music store and see a big LP section. granted there are 2 places for used vinyl here, but remember going to tower records in the late 70s early eighties and they were wall to wall vinyl. just imagine being able to walk into that store and load up now... nirvana :thmbsp:

styler said:
i cant wait to be able to walk into a mainstream music store and see a big LP section. granted there are 2 places for used vinyl here, but remember going to tower records in the late 70s early eighties and they were wall to wall vinyl. just imagine being able to walk into that store and load up now... nirvana :thmbsp:

That's the stuff I dream of too...wall to wall vinyl...drool...

I just discovered vinyl's goodness for the first time. I just wish that I could find records that were actually cared for. Out of every 100 records I flip through, maybe 3 are in good condition.

Cool Huh?

They are just better! Try comparing a Cd to an LP. Took a favorite a Anita Baker Giving it the best I got. Had it on CD and found a mint LP. The LP beat it hands down. While I never dropped LPs their play time deminished in the 90's until I got a minty Dual 1229 with Shure V15 type III. Great sound here!!! :yes:

OK, you guys have inspired me. I haven't broken out the records in a looong time...and I have a good turntable Denon DP-62l with a Denon MC cartridge. So I'm going to turn a few platters now...

everyone I've shown my TT setup to has been in awe

maybe not so much that they want to go buy one, but definately impressed

they think it's amazing the music comes out so nice out of a spinning record

Yeah they do sound gooooood

Apart from the nice sound you get out of an LP, I find the other bit of fun is going to my local secondhand record shop......boxes & boxes of LPs stacked up to the roof, you can't get more than about 5 people in the shop, due to the amount of vinyl, but he is always doing a brisk trade, anyway I like the search of finding that LP of someone I heard ages ago, when at school, etc :thmbsp:

Cost less than CDs :yes:

"DARN IT...why oh why did I ever sell my LINN LP-12 or my THORENS 160 SUPER so many years ago!"
- that's a difficult question to answer for sure ! :scratch2:
i reckon a re-acquaintance with either deck or their modern equivalent is imminent if your $10 goodwill has impressed you... :thmbsp:

melofelo

go for it! you wont be disappointed. too bad you sold that Linn! lots of used tables around, just make sure they know how to pack... :thmbsp:

Hi Mel and Sty,

Well...I can't remember the TRUE reason I sold my 160 and LP-12 so many years ago. Maybe I needed money for one of my other hobbies or perhaps a loss of my job or something. I REALLY want another THORENS 160 SUPER or...perhaps a less expensive alternative (and a blast from my past) would be a nice TECHNICS SL-1300 which was my very first TT I bought new around...1975-76.

Regards,
SixCats!

Back
Top Bottom