Wow, I'll never do that again...

mcp1

I bought a pair of used NHT SB3 speakers from a guy in Toronto for $250.00. UPS just delivered them and asked for $50 in brokerage fees. I guess I am naive and did not anticipate this...don't think I'll ever buy from Canada again.

Next time, have them delivered via the US postal service or FedEx. I too have received the brokerage fee letter from UPS, and have never paid it. On a prepaid shipment (one where the shipper pays the fees) I did not ask them to represent me as a customs broker, hence, I am not responsible for the fee. Of course, if receive the package COD, or have a UPS account you have little recourse.

I bought a pair of used NHT SB3 speakers from a guy in Toronto for $250.00. UPS just delivered them and asked for $50 in brokerage fees. I guess I am naive and did not anticipate this...don't think I'll ever buy from Canada again.

That's one of the main reasons why I don't buy from the States either. UPS & FEDEX are just brutal with thier brokerage fee's/

Next time, have them delivered via the US postal service or FedEx. I too have received the brokerage fee letter from UPS, and have never paid it. On a prepaid shipment (one where the shipper pays the fees) I did not ask them to represent me as a customs broker, hence, I am not responsible for the fee. Of course, if receive the package COD, or have a UPS account you have little recourse.

You can live in Canada and send something via USPS?

You can live in Canada and send something via USPS?

Canada Post. Then it becomes USPS.
I don't buy anything from the U.S unless it will be shipped USPS.
I will not pay UPS or FEDEX brokerage and all the other charges they come up with.

Yeah, ALWAYS use post. The courier services, Fed-Ex, UPS, DHL, etc automatically route international shipments through their brokers and charge you the fees.

Canada Post. Then it becomes USPS.
I don't buy anything from the U.S unless it will be shipped USPS.
I will not pay UPS or FEDEX brokerage and all the other charges they come up with.

I do the same..If the seller can package the item well I insist on USPS from the US..If the seller insists on UPS or FedEx etc then the deal is off..I will not pay UPS the brokerage fees which are entirely unnecessary..

Matt..tubeornotube

I do the same..If the seller can package the item well I insist on USPS from the US..If the seller insists on UPS or FedEx etc then the deal is off..I will not pay UPS the brokerage fees which are entirely unnecessary..

Matt..tubeornotube

Those fees are entirely necessary. Necessary for UPS to make its billions.:D

From what I've heard, UPS has exorbitant brokerage fees tacked onto the tax or duty imposed by customs. FedEx also has a fee, but a more reasonable amount. Look at it this way - customs decides to charge tax or duty (or whatever) on your item being imported, which they fully have the right to do. My last charge was about $70, 13% sales tax on an amplifier. Customs could have held the amp and billed me for the tax before releasing, but FedEx paid the tax, and then assess a fee of about $10 for handling the transaction and paperwork. Really not that unreasonable in my books. Now - if they charged $10 to pay $2 worth of tax... that would be annoying, but customs won't usually bother with small items. The $500+ amplifier was the first cross-border item where I've had to pay tax of any sort.

From what I've heard, UPS has exorbitant brokerage fees tacked onto the tax or duty imposed by customs. FedEx also has a fee, but a more reasonable amount. Look at it this way - customs decides to charge tax or duty (or whatever) on your item being imported, which they fully have the right to do. My last charge was about $70, 13% sales tax on an amplifier. Customs could have held the amp and billed me for the tax before releasing, but FedEx paid the tax, and then assess a fee of about $10 for handling the transaction and paperwork. Really not that unreasonable in my books. Now - if they charged $10 to pay $2 worth of tax... that would be annoying, but customs won't usually bother with small items. The $500+ amplifier was the first cross-border item where I've had to pay tax of any sort.

The post office can do all of that also. Except their handling fees are much cheaper.

What? They have mail in the great white north?

Silly American! :nono: :D

You do realize that a huge portion of Canada's population lives further south than Washington, Montana, North Dakota, and most of Minnesota, right?

You do also realize that Canada's economy is one of the strongest in the world currently, and that our dollar is worth more than yours? :yes:

Just checking. :thmbsp:

(all in jest, good neighbour, all in jest)

Sorry for more off-topic discussion on Canada/US shipping...I was surprised by the lack of a media/bulk rate for sending LPs within Canada via Canada Post. I needed to ship an LP in an LP mailer to Toronto last month, so I brought it with me on an overnight to Vancouver because I thought I save a few bucks with in-country shipping. Canada Post wanted $13 for the cheapest rate. I didn't get the impression that the guy had a bulk rate because he took out a measuring tape on the box.

So I brought the box back down to Seattle and sent it to Toronto via USPS media mail for $6 and change. USPS media mail/bulk rate is a really good deal. I hope the mail rate increases don't impact too much/knock on wood.

Back
Top Bottom