WOW!! Is it April...McIntosh MTI 100

Any company which, having lost its reputation for excellence and exclusivity, will find it very hard to regain.

Several people have said here that McIntosh needs to do this sort of thing to stay afloat. Is there some reason to believe that McIntosh is in dire straits financially?

A company which cannot stay afloat charging what McIntosh does for its products needs to re-examine its practices. That doesn't mean throwing away your good reputation.

It looks like McIntosh is continuing down the path of products that are more of an abomination than the last.

An integrated turntable......really.....seriously!? :wtf:

It appears that the hideous tube cages are here to stay. What a joke of a lifestyle product. I guess the logic is to slap on the logo and it will be a hit. Yeah....silly crap like this will drive away the core audience for their products and dilute the brand.

Nah ,McIntosh is making smart moves to take advantage of the neck bearded hipster doofuses who have fell in love with vinyl ,for the moment ,I highly doubt cheesy midfi products will run off anybody who knows the difference between cheese and world class amplifiers ,tube preamps and line arrays ,we heard much the same complaints when McIntosh came out with their digital switching non Autoformer Mc-300 ,the Mc-7106 and HT processors ,I myself would love for McIntosh to leave the 1970s styling and Autoformer topology to create a 1,000 to 1,500 watt non Autoformer amp/monoblocks that allow the amps to double down into 4 and 2 ohm loads ,I'd also like to see a Turntable for under $2,000 ,little plastic tube cages can be put back in the box ,I like the turntable myself ,not for any of my systems but for somebody without room for an entire HiFi but wants to get into vinyl it's great .

Any company which, having lost its reputation for excellence and exclusivity, will find it very hard to regain.

Several people have said here that McIntosh needs to do this sort of thing to stay afloat. Is there some reason to believe that McIntosh is in dire straits financially?

A company which cannot stay afloat charging what McIntosh does for its products needs to re-examine its practices. That doesn't mean throwing away your good reputation.

This venom is tripping me out ,1st I'd like a show of hands as to how many here have bought a brand new McIntosh top of the line piece within the last 5 years .

Who said McIntosh needed to be in dire straights finincally before they bring out new products younger generations are interested in ? McIntosh was only known as an amplifier company up until the last 20 years or so and their use of Autoformers makes 70% of the ultra high end buyers loathe McIntosh amps ,McIntosh speakers weigh half a ton & require a total committment of one room simply for HiFi ,when McIntosh exposed their tubes in the C-2300 and gave them some modern style all the old heads with beat down Mc-30s talked smack about the green glowing tubes ,when Mcintosh kept tone controls on the Sidney Corderman C-2200 the Mc-30 and Mc-275 crowd went nutts ,turns out the C-2200 brought McIntosh back as a world class preamp company, with the hatred for McIntosh green glowing tubes and tone controls it turns out McIntosh tube preamp sales have far outclassed solid state sales for the 1st time in decades .

Most of this venom is just silly ,exactly what rule of HiFi is being broken by having an intergrated turntable ,if McIntosh dosent start putting out products that interest millennials raised on earbuds they will be in the same spot as Harley Davidson within a decade once my generation kicks off .

Let's have a show of hands ,how many who are bashing this new Mcintosh TT have funds set aside to purchase a brand new piece of McIntosh gear within the next 6 months ? And what piece of gear is it ?

I'm saving for the Mc-2kw amps and XR-2k line arrays right now ,I have over half now and should have the rest in 90 days & can prove it, the TT isn't spoiling my plans ,which makes me wonder exactly what piece of gear this TT is making people have 2nd tougbts about ,the venom being displayed twords the most beloved Audio manufacturer on this site perplexed the shit out of me to see for sure .

Not a Mac user myself, worked on a few older examples. Own one piece that has been somewhat a doorstop since I got it, few of the products are a good fit here.

I've been intrigued by their older products since the 1960s and the company that made them. One of the few old-timer companies that has survived pretty much intact. Mac has been a tentpole of the audio industry since the post-WW-2 audio boom, but staying in business is what you sell, not what you sold.

Who said McIntosh needed to be in dire straights financially before they bring out new products younger generations are interested in ?

...if McIntosh dosent start putting out products that interest millennials raised on earbuds they will be in the same spot as Harley Davidson within a decade once my generation kicks off .

Let's have a show of hands ,how many who are bashing this new Mcintosh TT have funds set aside to purchase a brand new piece of McIntosh gear within the next 6 months ? And what piece of gear is it ?

the venom being displayed twords the most beloved Audio manufacturer on this site perplexed the shit out of me to see for sure .

Excellent points panhead.

To the sky-is-falling crowd: Why do you like McIntosh?? Is it the brands exclusivity or substance?

For me, it's the substance. My MA6600 (which I bought brand new) has a build quality and feature set I couldn't find elsewhere, including tone controls, input-leveling, mono switch, wattage meters. And it's a joy to operate and sounds fantastic. It's the quietest, most hiss and hum free amp I've ever had. I would buy one again tomorrow if something happened to it.

So how have these new offerings - the RS200 all-in-one system, and MTI 100 Integrated Turntable - changed what I like about my MA6600 or any of their current integrated amplifiers?? It hasn't.

But if your primary attraction to McIntosh is it's exclusivity, well, then I guess you should be worried because the company seems intent on letting more people into the clubhouse.

Last edited:
This venom is tripping me out

For someone who just characterized my generation as "neck bearded hipster doofuses who have fell in love with vinyl" you have mighty thin skin. I said nothing that could remotely be construed as venomous, even by an hysterical fanboi. I did ask a simple question, which you appear to have evaded, though I grant that I only skimmed your several hundred words. Way too many unfounded assumptions for me to bother with. Have fun--I'm out of here.

1970s styling and Autoformer topology to create a 1,000 to 1,500 watt non Autoformer amp/monoblocks that allow the amps to double down into 4 and 2 ohm loads ,.

Actually a McIntosh Autoformer amplifier will "double down" when the next higher impedance taps are used than the speaker's impedance. (Keeping in mind almost no amplifier truly doubles output at half impedance. Those claiming that ability are probably playing around with their ratings numbers ie, underrating output at 8 ohm so that double output at 4 ohm can be claimed ).

Actually a McIntosh Autoformer amplifier will "double down" when the next higher impedance taps are used than the speaker's impedance. (Keeping in mind almost no amplifier truly doubles output at half impedance. Those claiming that ability are probably playing around with their ratings numbers ie, underrating output at 8 ohm so that double output at 4 ohm can be claimed ).
Isn't this something that can be demonstrated/confirmed with bench tests?

Last edited:
Isn't this something that can be demonstrated/confirmed with bench tests?

That's according to either Ron Cornelius(?) or Ron Evans(?) in the McIntosh book. I'd have to dig it out but one of the Mc engineers made that clear in the text: "We'll double down too" or something to that effect (when using the taps the way I described).

He also added the amplifier would run warmer - but the same thing would also happen with a DC amplifier.

That's according to either Ron Cornelius(?) or Ron Evans(?) in the McIntosh book. I'd have to dig it out but one of the Mc engineers made that clear in the text: "We'll double down too" or something to that effect (when using the taps the way I described).

He also added the amplifier would run warmer - but the same thing would also happen with a DC amplifier.
I don't know if this makes the direct coupled amp more adaptable to variying loading, but may seem so.

I don't know if this makes the direct coupled amp more adaptable to variying loading, but may seem so.

I don't think it makes any difference in that regard. I think the main advantage of autoformer design is cooler operation.

I don't think it makes any difference in that regard. I think the main advantage of autoformer design is cooler operation.
I thought optimal averaged impedance matching, secondarily, offset/DC blocking for loudspeaker protection.

What I see are folks taking this discussion and themselves way too Sirius. Lighten up or I'll close the thread. If you cannot accept people disagreeing with you then you are in for a rough life. :) Nobody asked but I'll dip my oar in the water here. Those of us who were around when the HiFi world's bubble burst and noticed that McIntosh survived almost completely intact shouldn't be concerned now overly much. With change being the only constant i admit it's harder for me to accept. Being well over halfway to Geezer City helps make me resistant to change. :) Anyway, carry on, have fun and don't take yourself so damn Siriusly.

What I see are folks taking this discussion and themselves way too Sirius. Lighten up or I'll close the thread. If you cannot accept people disagreeing with you then you are in for a rough life. :) Nobody asked but I'll dip my oar in the water here. Those of us who were around when the HiFi world's bubble burst and noticed that McIntosh survived almost completely intact shouldn't be concerned now overly much. With change being the only constant i admit it's harder for me to accept. Being well over halfway to Geezer City helps make me resistant to change. :) Anyway, carry on, have fun and don't take yourself so damn
Seriously.

I thought optimal averaged impedance matching, secondarily, offset/DC blocking for loudspeaker protection.

Yes, that is definitely true.

The earlier AF amps were overbuilt for 2.1 ohm outputs (IIRC) which means there is almost no chance of overtaxing the outputs at 4 or 8 ohms, resulting in both cool operation and optimal interfacing with the speaker load.

For someone who just characterized my generation as "neck bearded hipster doofuses who have fell in love with vinyl" you have mighty thin skin. I said nothing that could remotely be construed as venomous, even by an hysterical fanboi. I did ask a simple question, which you appear to have evaded, though I grant that I only skimmed your several hundred words. Way too many unfounded assumptions for me to bother with. Have fun--I'm out of here.

Hey bud if the shoe fits ,I wasn't calling " you " any foul names ,I did point out a fact which is neck beards ,just like my generation is old farts ,we don't deny we have liver spots , I'm one of them old geezers but I don't get upset when someone calls me a geezer,it's truth just like neck besrds ,my skin is thick as a brick but not when it comes to bashing people's gear ,absolutely zero room in this hobby for snobbery ,everybody is a fanboi of what they own,even you but that was never my point ,the only thing to be gained by bashing a manufacturer attempt to connect with new buyers is to look like snobs .

Back
Top Bottom