WOW!! Is it April...McIntosh MTI 100

I would like to know what is redacted below the line "Designed by Mcintosh in the USA" photo is from their facebook page.

51056007_10158454867477575_3516444915288506368_n.jpg

This ----> "Designed by Mcintosh in the USA" ---- is interesting.

None....NONE....of the current products built in the NY factory have that phase on the side. My C47 and MC152 boxes simply had McIntosh, the address, and Made in the USA printed on the sides - no sharpie as there was nothing to hide. I really hope that the blacked-out portion is not covering up what I think it is. And I'm sure everyone can take a wild guess at what I'm thinking. There's no reason to censor what is likely the country of origin.....unless there's something they are less than proud of. Overall, this is a really strong tip off that these are coming from China.

None....NONE....of the current products built in the NY factory have that phase on the side. My C47 and MC152 boxes simply had McIntosh, the address, and Made in the USA printed on the sides - no sharpie as there was nothing to hide. I really hope that the blacked-out portion is not covering up what I think it is. And I'm sure everyone can take a wild guess at what I'm thinking. There's no reason to censor what is likely the country of origin.....unless there's something they are less than proud of. Overall, this is a really strong tip off that these are coming from China.

Mcintosh directly denied this on their FB page but have yet to answer my question as to what is blacked out.

Mcintosh directly denied this on their FB page but have yet to answer my question as to what is blacked out.

Yeah....I just checked their Facebook page and notice that reply. It's a load of crap that they will not address the question direct. We all know serial numbers are NOT placed there....even if that's something they felt the need to redact.

The main point is, that someone took the effort to neatly blackout something on the side of the carton, to the point that it would go unnoticed by most with a quick glace. Their other products with that phase have Assembled in China printed directly below. If this is what I suspect and they are dancing around it, McIntosh is really screwing up now!

FWIW -- this coming from a person who has no dog in this fight and is enjoying some Schadenfreude watching the Mac fans freaking out proactively about this component -- seems to me that it is perfectly possible that there could have been a 'run time' change in the country of assembly of these units. Early ones could've been assembled wherever -- but in the interim, assembly might have shifted to someplace else. Those early boxes (which might even be beta units, who knows?) might not reflect the labeling of the "current" packaging.

In fact, from my perspective, I would be surprised if it is not "assembled" in the US -- to my understanding, the VPI tt is US made. It seems like a supply chain that involved shipping bits of VPI hardware to another country to put them into the Mac gizmo would be very un-21st-Century manufacturing logistics.

sorry. As Lt. Columbo used to say "ahh, one more thing..."

I just looked at the VPI website

There is an interesting typo on the VPI "Cliffwood" page. I assume it's a typo... :)

upload_2019-1-31_20-3-11.png

"All of our products are in Cliffwood, New Jersey"
There seems to be a word missing there.
Just sayin'...

:beatnik:

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-31_20-2-50.png
    upload_2019-1-31_20-2-50.png
    215.5 KB · Views: 9
sorry. As Lt. Columbo used to say "ahh, one more thing..."

I just looked at the VPI website

There is an interesting typo on the VPI "Cliffwood" page. I assume it's a typo... :)

View attachment 1405039

"All of our products are in Cliffwood, New Jersey"
There seems to be a word missing there.
Just sayin'...

:beatnik:

What the hell? That entire paragraph doesn't read well when you stop and think about it for a moment.

Yeah my MC275 MK VI boxes just say Made in the USA.

On these boxes the "Designed by Mcintosh in the USA" but blacking out could be an incorrect print and wanting to use the boxes, or just like you said. By doing this print and not clearly stating where it's made can cause some to assume it's made in the US.

"Assembled in USA from domestic and imported components"?
McIntosh has been using imported parts on their products for a long while, however they are “little” and “negligible”. That doesn’t concern me in the slightest. The phrase “assembled in China” is when you need to worry...

(dig my new avatar? Viva BH!)

Regarding VPI's boast about
"Everything xxx in Cliffwood, NJ". ..IMHO, it not the same. Their turntables are beautifully made but they are child's play in terms of complexity when compared to McIntosh's AV processors, DACs, D-class amplifiers, CD Players, and streaming receivers. It's a comparison of items made in a machine shop vs. high-technology components comprised of parts that are cost-effective ONLY when produced in fairly large numbers - numbers far in excess of what Mac would make for their components. So it's easier for VPI to make a sweeping "Made in the USA" claim than it is for McIntosh.

As for the MT100 box. It's quite possible this Mac piece is assembled in Binghampton from parts and assemblies coming from overseas. So leaving "Made in Binghampton" would be misleading to the point they felt if best to cross it off. While disappointing, is this really surprising?? Does anyone really believe that the class-d amplifier, processor, DAC, streaming receiver, etc. in this thing could ALL be domestically sourced?

McIntosh could easily go back to building everything, in it's entirety, in Binghampton IF they went back to making nothing but analog pre-amps and tube amplifiers. But is that what we want? And could Mac survive doing this?? ..I suspect not.

Last edited:
If you look at the rear panel images on the McIntosh website, the great majority of products are labeled "Handcrafted in USA of US and imported parts". Almost all the preamps - C1100, C2600, C70, right down the line. Only preamp I see marked "Made in USA" is the C22. Same with the integrateds, most of the solid state amps right up to the MC1.25KW are marked this way.

If I am not mistaken there's a law that requires a certain minimum percentage (70%?) US content for the "Made in USA" label. It's virtually if not completely impossible to source many electronics parts which are manufactured in the US these days.

I am pleased to report that VPI responded overnight to my e-mail about the apparent typo on their webpage.
It should indeed say "made" -- and now it does. :)

upload_2019-2-1_9-33-17.png

Back
Top Bottom