WOW little things can make a huge difference

There was some kinda issue there which seems to have resolved itself. In other news - the core / slug in the center of a typical AM "bar" (aka loopstick) antenna is usually threaded / tuneable and I've had more than one occasion in which some tweaking gave me a nice coupling peak with my external loop.

Oh boy.......anybody remember the cd ring? A plastic ring you put on the cd? You peel off the tape and then it is glued to the outside of your cd. Forever? Sometimes and other times I lucked out and didn't ruin my cd. Great. Oh, and years later I find the cds gets stuck in my car cd player. Now, the guys that recommended these things were professionals in the field. Never mind at that time the cd was the pinnacle of sound but they claimed the cd could sound even better. Yeah, I fell for it. Maybe they did "dampen" the vibration caused by rotation or WHATEVER, providing extended bass blah blah..... but as we all know sound is subjective. In those days (the 80's) vinyl was out and cds were the rage. I did ruin a couple of cds before I leared my lesson. It's all good though, I still have all my vinyl and I didn't alter them for better sound lol.
I bought a plastic ring that fitted around the edge of my CD's many years ago but did not glue it in place, I still have that green plastic ring fitted around the same cd for many years. It was said the ring would improve the quality of sound from the CD.

As for small things making not only a difference, but a definite improvement... recapping 15+ yr-old speakers often offers the best return of an audio-dollar, by my experience.

Removing the stock brass spike on my Silverline Sonatina [floor standers] and replacing with Black Diamond Racing [carbon / composite] cones made a very noticeable difference. While the bdr cones aren't cheap, I purchased many years when more reasonable, I haven't experimented with other footers to achieve similar results.

I must admit, I skipped large portions of this thread — there was a lot of stuff about PhDs, if my skipping eyes skipped correctly.

The thread began with someone removing the little U-thingies that connected pre-to-power in an integrated amp, and replacing them with a short length of good interconnect, and hearing a dramatic improvement.

I bought a Denon 2-channel receiver recently at Goodwill for $40. It looked like BPC, but was very heavy, with a potted toroid, and it had a MM+MC phono stage, a cut above most receivers. I expected it to be decent. Turned out to be good. After a little google, I learned it put out 125 WRMS, and I think that's a conservative rating; it retailed for $1000 over 25 years ago (about $2300 today), and even got a rave review in the New York Times, of all places.

It had those U-thingies in back. I didn't replace them with cable — I opened up the unit and soldered the pre and power directly together. This improved on the short interconnect link used by the OP by eliminating 4 lossy RCA-to-RCA connections and 4 unnecessary solder joints.

Damn! It wasn't just a dramatic improvement, it was Shaespeare. "Good" went to High End! And I don't say High End lightly, my system used to be the high priced stuff that graced the covers of the magazines. I still use van den Hul and Ikeda MCs and they're sensational through the Denon, no downgrade there — the Tuner is damn good (my Tandberg 3001 and Accuphase are better but it's close) — the power amp is a quasi Class A allegedly designed by Nelson Pass — so it had some promising ingredients.

And hard-wiring that pre-power link brought it all together. A truly High End receiver has long been a goal; Magnum Dynalab launched one but its reviews were luke-warm and price too high — a lot of $ went into external cosmetics. Now

I now have a high end receiver, with all the convenience of three components in one, and no jungle of cables. For 40 bucks and 20 minutes work.

Back
Top Bottom