Wow!!! McIntosh Mac 4200…

Also make sure you have your local tech check out the battery pack. The nicads will leak and destroy the original battery holder. I have my local Batteries+ plus make up a replacement pack and zip tie it in place.

This applies to most of their digital tuners.
I found an old thread from 2009 that showed the batteries for a MAC 4200. One post insisted on using NiCd batteries, just as C_DK had posted. I found this interesting as the ones in my new/old MAC 4200 were Nickel-Metal Hydride (Ni-MH), and looked almost new. They would only hold a charge for a short while, perhaps a ½ hour max. It is nice to see such great build quality as I popped the top. Anyway, I cleaned up the terminals a bit and changed to NiCd and Bob’s your uncle! I used Geilienergy AA NiCd 600mAh 1.2V, purchased from Amazon. Easy job, hope this helps someone else.

Note: photo from 2009 post showing battery holder.002.jpg 718gsAAS3ZL._SL1500_.jpg

For anyone else that views this post and has the same problem, the original battery holders are made by Cambion # 400-2802. Newark carries them. The original Panasonic Cadnica batteries, which as mentioned by others must be replaced with NiCads and not NiMH cells, are also still available, and can be found on Mouser.

This receiver is great, really nice looking as well; I would say N/Mint condition. :D I Haven’t tried phono yet as I no longer own records, perhaps will get back into records again. My Revox A77 IV sounds so sweet, better than ever. Both AM and FM are awesome as well as CD’s. Only thing that doesn’t seem to work is the MUTE button. Also the Presets don’t hold for long, probably battery either needs replaced or just recharged.

Question, how difficult to replace battery if needed? Wondering if anyone knows how many of these were made?

View attachment 1134142
I too have the McIntosh 4200. I’m having a full restoration on it right now by George Meyer Audio in LA. Don’t have final pricing yet but was told around $800. Plus I had to pay the $80 for the inspection. I can wait to get this baby back in my hands Saturday. They replace both driver boards and all caps. Also said my digital tuner was way out of balance. Replaced my batteries for the digital tuner. I was miss one black button in front and have been searching for awhile now with no luck. Was told nearly impossible to find but they actually had one there at the shop! Wow I feel lucky

For anyone else that views this post and has the same problem, the original battery holders are made by Cambion # 400-2802. Newark carries them. The original Panasonic Cadnica batteries, which as mentioned by others must be replaced with NiCads and not NiMH cells, are also still available, and can be found on Mouser.
Thanks for the part number

I too have the McIntosh 4200. I’m having a full restoration on it right now by George Meyer Audio in LA. Don’t have final pricing yet but was told around $800. Plus I had to pay the $80 for the inspection. I can wait to get this baby back in my hands Saturday. They replace both driver boards and all caps. Also said my digital tuner was way out of balance. Replaced my batteries for the digital tuner. I was miss one black button in front and have been searching for awhile now with no luck. Was told nearly impossible to find but they actually had one there at the shop! Wow I feel lucky
Your gonna enjoy that Mac 4200. I really like mine… I was lucky that all it needed was new batteries and the terminals cleaned. Just to make sure I had it inspected at the “Audio Doctor” of Phoenix. He is very conservative about re-capping and changing parts as long as they are still in spec. All I know is mine sounds better than I expected. Down the road it most likely will need some service. Yep, definitely a keeper!

I had a similar experience - mine was missing one of the speaker push terminal tabs. I thought for sure I'd never find it, but after searching through probably a few thousand ebay listings I was lucky enough to find one of the same type!

I have a 4200 in daily use, belonged to my wife's father.
Did not know there is a battery pack on board.
Any have images/instructions to access this?

I have a 4200 in daily use, belonged to my wife's father.
Did not know there is a battery pack on board.
Any have images/instructions to access this?

Remove the screws holding on the wood side panels, then remove the screws holding the top cover on (I think there are 2 in the back and 1 or 2 on each side) and you should be able to lift the cover off and see the batteries towards the front of the receiver.

FYI the service manual is on hifi engine.

I would change all three batteries but, from my experience with battery packs in general, one battery is usually the culprit. Do you have a voltmeter?

Great - thanks folks
I'll get into it this week. We've had in regular use for about ten years(?)
The seek/scan and memories began to disfunction within the past year. I was thinking it needed service but the closest place is 6 hours drive, so I'll start with the batteries first.
Yes - do have a voltmeter and did locate the service manual on-line.

It's set up in a home theater/HiFi arrangement. Driving two Klipsch Chorus II's, two Klipsch Quartets, two B&W subs and a JBL EC35 for center channel. All the speakers were picked up ad hoc off local craigslist and sound pretty good together despite the mongrel grouping.

I have a MAC 4200 that came through my wife's family. Works great and is in everyday use. After reading a post online about changing the batteries, I removed the two walnut side panels and then the case top.
I could not find the rechargeable batteries! There's an empty black space where I saw them located in the photo online. Maybe a late model?
Serial # DP1052
Images attached

Attachments

• MAC 4200 b.jpg
    MAC 4200 b.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 61
  • MAC 4200 a.jpg
    MAC 4200 a.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 58
Yours was the 52nd unit built, serial numbers started at 1001.

No answer as to where the battery pack went. Can not hold station presets for very long without it once unplugged, I would imagine. I do not even rembering it having a always on PS like the remote control units to keep the memory alive when turned off.

Curious
Yes you are correct, the station presets evaporate away immediately after unplugging - which we do when electrical storms are nearby.
I looked for where the battery pack would plug-in but no luck on that yet - do you know if it was hard-wired or was on a plug?

I wonder if it was removed for fear of corrosion. I'm sure it was purchased new in Buffalo, NY

My schematics are buried while I seek new digs......and I would assume it would plug in but where? My memory fails me.

I looked around the easily visible boards and the lo-res service manual from hi-fi engine (to large to be attached)
I failed to accurately locate where the batteries were wired in.
I would appreciate it if someone had better eyes than me. It may have been removed, but the spot where the holder should be located appears pristine.

thanks!

The Battery Connector is visible in the attached photos. It's the plastic connector at center/right with white and tan leads. These are pins 93 & 94
The wires are still bundled into the wiring harness and I have not yet traced them through to locate the termination.

Attachments

• MAC4200_BatteryConnector.jpg
    MAC4200_BatteryConnector.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 41
  • MAC4200_MemoryControlBoard.png
    MAC4200_MemoryControlBoard.png
    735.4 KB · Views: 38

No answer as to where the battery pack went. Can not hold station presets for very long without it once unplugged, I would imagine. I do not even rembering it having a always on PS like the remote control units to keep the memory alive when turned off.

How do you know they started production
at 1001?

Go to the McIntosh compendium sticky at the top of the McIntosh Forum page. Larry Hodson spent a long time and research preparing this. Chris (c_dk) Sold and worked on McIntosh for many years. So he knows a lot about the history.

Back
Top Bottom