Wow! Rare Marantz TT on eBay!!!

JimiJohnB

Now I don't know zilch when it comes to turntables (the next 'realm' of audio I'll dive into), but there is a rare Marantz TT up for auction over on eBay.

Might not have been the best or anything, but it sure is neat looking! Although price doesn't equate to sound quality (or vice versa), this one is expensive!

Auction

Auction Description:

Marantz made only 2 turntable models when Mr, Marantz owned the Co. the SLT12, and SLT12U, the only difference was the SLT12 had a (what was then a top of the line Shure cartridge) built in cartridge that could never be changed, the SLT12U (U for universal) could take any cartridge made, so as cartridges improve a better one could be installed, these turntables were never mass produced, and were basically hand built, they compare very favorably to todays high end tables, you are very unlikely to find one of these tables for sale, and will never find one in this (like new) condition, for the MARANTZ collector this is a real find. There is another listing for an SLT12U, the photos speak of the physical condition, perhaps with some work it can be salvaged, however before you go for it, ask the seller if it includes the cartridge mounting hardware? (wireing harness, slide in mounting plate) the owners manual? setting up and operating as well as maintaining this table is not intuitive, without these things, and the service manual you will not be able to have a working turntable, and Marantz no longer makes replacement parts, if the seller can give you all that, then go for it.

These things were picky...

The early version used a Shure cart body but it was not the top of the line V15 but more the middle of the line M7x/9x type.

What made it so picky was the rather intricate set of geared and ball-bearing arms that were used to allow the cart to be suspended over the record. This required that the table be perfectly level but there were surprisingly few tools to do so. Since they were priced for the wealthy, I got quite a few calls to go out to fancy homes and mess with it after the maid dusted it.

I prefered the Throens or Dual of its day, personally. However, the fact that they were made in such few numbers and the Marantz label puts it into that rarified few that draws the numbers and prices.

It will certainly be an interesting piece at a party of the over-40 crowd.

Cheers,

David

I've got one of the SLT12 in a box waiting for a restoration.

Will get to it this coming summer I'm hoping.... after the new deck off the living room!;)

Cool table, but what the hell are the two sellers sniping about? That, the new ID, the 0 feedback, and the run on sentences makes me not want to buy anything from the first guy...

Back
Top Bottom