WOW We have a NEW NAME for this forum. Top Performers, the good stuff.

I'd have to go with Tony Bennett ... top performer, and he sounds much better on vintage gear!

141104-tony-bennett-life-04.jpg

Now that is helpful
Regards,
Jim

One quibble. Claiming 70's gear from the likes of many Japanese makers of receivers, separates etc. are not high end "performers" is not totally true in one respect.
Many vintage hi fi web sites by knowledgeable valid contributors give $$ estimates of current intrinsic values of 60's and 70's gear. Something like a Marantz 2270 for example is usually quoted in the $ 2,500.00 and up price range in today dollars based on build quality , parts , and fit and finish as well as as electronic design..Much of the new boutique gear in the $2,500 and up range is just a copy of longstanding circuit designs, and or in some cases products that will have little resale value in the future..
A fully refurbished in spec system of say mid 70's Marantz seperates partnered with current associated gear In current high end $$ price points should give a pretty decent representation of high end gear..and maybe surpass current high end gear on a case by case basis.
So while I understand the word Great, I don't feel that great always resides at a level above some arbitrary price point..Great is what your ears tell you is great..
And of course I'm not referring to the $100.00 a components mentioned above. Obviously certain levels of design and quality need to be a given...
Lastly many spec freaks that don't trust their own ears because they only believe in numbers will diss older gear that actually may have identical or even better specs to newer gear. When confronted with the similarity of the numbers they usually refer to price as the difference...however moments before its all about specs....Not trusting your ears defeats the whole point..

Last edited:
One quibble. Claiming 70's gear from the likes of many Japanese makers of receivers, separates etc. are not high end "performers" is not totally true in one respect.
Many vintage hi fi web sites by knowledgeable valid contributors give $$ estimates of current intrinsic values of 60's and 70's gear. Something like a Marantz 2270 for example is usually quoted in the $ 2,500.00 and up price range in today dollars based on build quality , parts , and fit and finish as well as as electronic design..Much of the new boutique gear in the $2,500 and up range is just a copy of longstanding circuit designs, and or in some cases products that will have little resale value in the future..
A fully refurbished in spec system of say mid 70's Marantz seperates partnered with current associated gear In current high end $$ price points should give a pretty decent representation of high end gear..and maybe surpass current high end gear on a case by case basis.
So while I understand the word Great, I don't feel that great always resides at a level above some arbitrary price point..Great is what your ears tell you is great..
And of course I'm not referring to the $100.00 a components mentioned above. Obviously certain levels of design and quality need to be a given...
Lastly many spec freaks that don't trust their own ears because they only believe in numbers will diss older gear that actually may have identical or even better specs to newer gear. When confronted with the similarity of the numbers they usually refer to price as the difference...however moments before its all about specs....Not trusting your ears defeats the whole point..
Good point.

Back
Top Bottom