Wrapping wire on a Yamaha CR-1040

Bob_in_OKC

Addicted Member
On my Yamaha CR-1040 receiver, the lights behind the meters each have a red and a white wire that go back to a rod or prong or whatever you call it...like a 1-inch tall flagpole on the main board. The wires are wrapped tightly around, maybe 5 or 6 turns. Any suggestions on where I can learn how to do this? YouTube videos, maybe? Thanks in advance and profuse thanks to follow if I can make this happen.

you will need a wire-wrap tool to do this. They make both powered wrap tools and hand wrapping tools. Since you have just a few to do, I would get a hand tool. These come up used on ebay from time to time and should only cost around $10. You will need to get one that will work for the gauage wire you are wrapping (24-26 awg).

some example tools can be seen here... http://cdkands.com/tools/tool1.html

Last edited:
you will need a wire-wrap tool to do this. They make both powered wrap tools and hand wrapping tools. Since you have just a few to do, I would get a hand tool. These come up used on ebay from time to time and should only cost around $10. You will need to get one that will work for the gauage wire you are wrapping (24-26 awg).

some example tools can be seen here... http://cdkands.com/tools/tool1.html

Or..don't unwrap them..

Or..don't unwrap them..

Is there more to this you can tell me? Installing the lamps onto the existing wires that are now wrapped looks more challenging than buying the lamps with wires on them and wrapping the new wires onto the posts.

Is there more to this you can tell me? Installing the lamps onto the existing wires that are now wrapped looks more challenging than buying the lamps with wires on them and wrapping the wires onto the posts.

Wire wrapping provides a better connection than soldering.Even manual wirewrapping tools are pricey...
http://www.mouser.com/Tools-Supplies/Tools/_/N-5gg6?Keyword=wire+wrap&FS=True
May be able to find cheaper used ones on ebay..
I do the old splice the wire/solder/heatshrink tubing..unless the wrap has already been compromised. Then I will hand wrap and solder.
Also wire wrapped wire is usually single strand wire and the wire for replacement bulbs is tiny multi-stranded wire which doesnt wrap very good with a wrapping tool..

Last edited:
Wire wrapping provides a better connection than soldering.Even manual wirewrapping tools are pricey...
http://www.mouser.com/Tools-Supplies/Tools/_/N-5gg6?Keyword=wire+wrap&FS=True
May be able to find cheaper used ones on ebay..
I do the old splice the wire/solder/heatshrink tubing..unless the wrap has already been compromised. Then I will hand wrap and solder.

Do you mean in this case you would leave the existing wires wrapped (but remove the lamps) and buy lamps with wires...then splice?

Do you mean in this case you would leave the existing wires wrapped (but remove the lamps) and buy lamps with wires...then splice?

Yes.If you get the new lamps from AK member dgwojo he usually provides the solder and heatshrink to get the job done PDQ.

. . . and for some reason Yamaha wire wrap posts are bigger than what I have seen elsewhere, I have a wire wrap tool and it does not fit over the posts.

Yes.If you get the new lamps from AK member dgwojo he usually provides the solder and heatshrink to get the job done PDQ.

I emailed him to get the lamps and he mentioned the solder and heatshrink. This sounds like the way to go...especially if I'm going to find, as merrylander says...the posts don't even match up to a standard wire wrap tool.

. . . and for some reason Yamaha wire wrap posts are bigger than what I have seen elsewhere, I have a wire wrap tool and it does not fit over the posts.

I had a couple of wrap tools that did not fit over the posts found on vintage gear also. I am lucky in that I have a mini lathe. I reamed the hole out and made them work. If you have a friend with a lathe or mill, maybe he'd do that for you too. :D

In the end, I decided to hand wrap and solder. Thanks all for the contributions. Good learning experience.

4715367960_f5941189d3_b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom