WRCJ Detroit - digital (?) audio problems on Jazz evenings

aye yi yi ... it's awful tonight, and was last night too on my short drive home from school at 9pm.

If the signal is distorted, and nobody is tuned in and listening, is it really distorted? I can't believe I'm the only person complaining.

I've been listening to WRCJ internet stream since reading this post and am hearing exactly what is recorded in your wav's. Their stream is definately screwed up.

??? is WRCJ a low bitrate version of WFAE Charlotte?

I'm hearing the same playlist on both stations...

WRCJ does get some of their Jazz programming from "PubJazz" which I assume amounts to a rebroadcast of of programming originating elsewhere. I have not listened online, only locally, so I cannot comment on the bit-rate quality.

WRCJ does get some of their Jazz programming from "PubJazz" which I assume amounts to a rebroadcast of of programming originating elsewhere. I have not listened online, only locally, so I cannot comment on the bit-rate quality.

That explains it thanks :)

The bit rates are at the low end of the quality range. Both stations appear to stream using either 32 or 48 Kbps and a 22050 sample rate.

I've noticed the same. I've written it off as the trade-off related to automated programming in the digital age.

On the other hand, John Penny, Saturday night jazz host on WRCJ, is now playing the best jazz-oriented Christmas music program I've ever heard.

This is what FM radio is all about and why we can't afford to lose it. :music::yes:

I missed John Penney's show tonight, bummer...

Tony Mowod was playing some great Christmas tunes last night though, there is nothing like a Trumpet and a String Bass for Christmas music :thmbsp:

They've definitely fixed something. The problematic feed seems to be cleaner and the overall audio quality seems better to me - I noticed this right away several weeks ago after they were off-the-air for a few hours for maintenance one weekend.

Back
Top Bottom