Wright Sound phono preamp

Discussion in 'Tube Audio' started by Orest12, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Orest12

Orest12 New Member

Hi and Happy Holiday,
    Have the chance to buy a Wright Sound WPP100b phono preamp. Internet info speaks to a 100c model. Would anyone know the difference? I presume this is a unit worth having.
    Thanks

Please register to disable this ad.

2. DC

DC "Manhattan Boy" Subscriber

3. nerdorama

nerdorama AK member Subscriber

4. judsonw

judsonw Well-Known Member

Looks like a fun little phono pre-amp. I do not need one, but that copper plated chassis looks amazing and... I kind of want one. Enjoy it!

5. Orest12

Orest12 New Member

Thanks all, will buy it today, and will advise. It uses some very unusual tubes, should be fun. Friend who is selling it has really never used it as he has an Acoustech pre for his mc setup.

6. nerdorama

nerdorama AK member Subscriber

6ER5's are frame grid triodes. Not rare and are inexpensive so you should be able to buy a number of them and try some tube rolling. The line driver is a 12AU7 family tube. Very common both in old stock and in new manufacture.
    Have fun and please report back your impressions. I have a couple of Wright preamps and phono amps so am curious about your experience.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. Orest12

Orest12 New Member

Hi, had this phono pre for about a week now. So, first impressions:
    The power supply is a charming little thing, simple and well made.
    The preamp workmanship is as bad as I’ve seen, rattle can black paint showing blisters, runs, fingerprints,etc.
    Unusual chassis—steel, plated copper, sprayed black.
    Preamp wring must have been done by brain surgeon, so many small parts so close together. Changing anything would be almost unthinkable.
    Sound—just great, as good as any I’ve ever heard, and better than most. Very high gain, very quiet unless pushed to max, amazing bass and midrange. Was almost unused over the years. Bottom label reads “GW assembler”.
    Glad I have it, came with 8 extra 6er5 tubes, and was cheap. What’s not to like?

DC likes this.