WSJ Article on Vintage Audio.

Well right away that headline is trash.

Spending your 401k on audio gear would dumb as hell.
You're right. Living in a trailer and buying $250k in audio gear? I'll listen to my little Kenny KA3500 and Altec 846A speakers. Oh and my free realistic lab400. I think I have less than $350 in the whole works. And I can sleep at night.

Well, I don't think anything I have "precisely replicates the music source" but I do have the "warmer more tonally rich sound" part covered.
Nice teaser article that may help run the prices of old midline units up by association as a consequence.

You're right. Living in a trailer and buying $250k in audio gear? I'll listen to my little Kenny KA3500 and Altec 846A speakers. Oh and my free realistic lab400. I think I have less than $350 in the whole works. And I can sleep at night.

I have a KA 3500 and it is just a super little amp. How does it run the Altecs?

Thanks for posting that up.

I see one of my local used high end audio stores was mentioned as one to trust when shopping for vintage audio. I knew I was shopping at the right place the first time I walked in that store.

Thanks for posting. Makes us sound almost like “normal” hobbiests, if somewhat obsessive.

Better that than a nursing home if you ask me. If only we could predict the future with enough certainty to make such decisions rational.
Could make the difference between a nursing home that takes Medicaid versus having the coin to buy into a decent assisted living facility.

I’ll give that person credit for prioritizing at least.

I have a KA 3500 and it is just a super little amp. How does it run the Altecs?
The KA 3500 is a great integrated amp, both for the price they go for and the clean power they deliver. The Valencias really sing with it. As you know, the Vals don't need much power; there's a lot of room for volume, but the Kenny does it all without any fuss.

The KA 3500 is a great integrated amp, both for the price they go for and the clean power they deliver. The Valencias really sing with it. As you know, the Vals don't need much power; there's a lot of room for volume, but the Kenny does it all without any fuss.

They sure seem that they are putting out more than 40 wpc that is for sure. Mine drives my 4ohm Rectilinear Mini 3s I have effortlessly.

Wow, this is really impressive. They talk about lead solder, point-to-point wiring, military-grade tubes, just in the first few paragraphs. Someone clearly did their research.

They sure did. They sure don't make them like that anymore. :)

Back
Top Bottom