WSJ Article on Vintage Audio.

So did we ever find out how may joules the Pass Labs INT-60 has? I'm curious...

E-Stat, can you let us know?
Refer to post #69. Both it and the class AB INT-250 use the same 240,000 uF power supply. As previously noted, the difference lies in the rail voltage chosen.

int60.jpg

Last edited:
Anyway,

Music
sounds really nice even on far less nice vintage items, just in case the last few pages blurred that for a lot of us.

I think there is one, can't recall which. Could be the TAD maybe?

I really like those speaker terminals on the Pass. Who makes them or are they bespoke (the torque ratchet with a nice cam shape- I can feel my fingers thanking me already)?

Accuphase’s top of the line integrated is 30W/Ch class A, and has been through a number of versions. I think the current one is the E-650. It’s supposed to sound wonderful, as it should, since in the US it costs almost as much as a new small car.

Luxman also makes a class A integrated. I think that one is only used car money.

FWIW, as I type I’m listening to a 30 year old Class A Accuphase power amp (P-102, 50W/Ch). It sounds great at my normal modest listening volumes. And it only cost me as much as a good bicycle.

Anyway,

Music
sounds really nice even on far less nice vintage items, just in case the last few pages blurred that for a lot of us.

Absolutely!. There are a ton of sleeper units out there that when properly restored will surprise the most ardent skeptics (as long as they don't actually see the unit ;)).

Better that than a nursing home if you ask me. If only we could predict the future with enough certainty to make such decisions rational.

We have long term care policies that will pay for health care, so the retirement funds and real estate are safe.

McIntosh this, McIntosh that, blah, blah, blah - Geez Louise
Not surprising, as it's an article intended for mass consumption. McIntosh is a name that the average non-audiophile reader might recognise as a premium brand, whereas, say, Harman/Kardon or University would be virtually unknown to anyone outside of the vintage audiophile community.

Similarly, a mass market article on, say, motorcycling would likely be full of Harley Davidson references or an article on vintage cars would probably mention '57 Chevrolets, even though the motorcycle and vintage car worlds are much, much broader than these.

Back
Top Bottom