WTF is wrong with people today?

NW

You can Bore and stroke a 307 till your blue in the face and its still gonna be a 307. Hell even throw Edelbrocks Alum heads on it and I bet you still aint gonna make all the power that a fairly mild 350 can. just remember theres no replacement for displacement. my little ole 355 can upset a few fairly moded big blocks.

GF

Sorry no Fords for me cept the little ranger that the wife uses. even thats on its way out. My brother is always talking shit about how bad his 305 HP 1996 Cobra is. I'll wipe up Rt 66 with his ass :eek: :D Once I get my gear and posi Im looking to run high 11.0's maybe better :p:

Kinda partial to Mopar myself (like the Hemi pictured above) :) 'course ya can't beat a good 'ol Chevy...no matter the old 327, 350, 396, 427 or the good 'ol 454. I don't want to get WAY off topic...but these kids talk about their 4 bangers...man, ya just can't beat a well built big block. Course a nicely built 327 or 350 is always great...with parts all around.

don't know why you seemed like a Ford man to me...Chevy was my second choice for ya ;)

Can't remember...I think they have open racing on Tuesday and Thursday...anyone can bring their cars...or bike...come ta think about it...While working there on the "open" nights...I've seen a couple of SnowMobiles too...and let me tell you...some of them N2o injected snowmobiles were darn fast...some getting under 10.0. Funniest thing I've ever seen :nutz:

Last edited:
"Tell that to a 3000 GT VR4 , Dodge Neon SVT or a Supra TT"

First off lets talk apples to apples. The only way those cars you mentioned could catch me is they are using Baby bottles ! ( Nitrous ) or huffing the motors ( super chargers, Blowers ) I aint saying I got the badest car around but lets see the imports run without the added power of additives. I have driven the 3000GT though not a VR4 and it was not impressive. Supras aint bad. Try an NSX or possibly a 300ZX atleast those are fun cars to drive. And if ya really want to get your rocks off jump in a ZO6 Vette. Now there's a car that can kick the supra TT's and Mitsu's dick in the dirt in power and handling ! :p:

ust remember theres no replacement for displacement

:boink: I try and tell that to the kids in my school that droll over decked out Civic's with that whopping 1.6L V-tech

I can't stop laughing.

anyway, I love V8's, I am not saying the 307 is the best performance engine, just saying, I am sure with some work it could be nice, but there are far more parts for a 350 out there that you can really do alot with.

I would like to have a big land yacht as my first car, with a big ol' V8, but that's not how things worked out, so I have my Grand Am...

... sure it may be a 4banger, but it's probaly the only COOL 4banger around, the Quad4 is a real neat engine, made by Olds in the 80's becuase GM wanted a engine to replace the big V8's for the 90's (mostly due to being more efficent) but something that still had some balls to it. so the end result was the Quad4, a 2.3litir 16 valve DOHC 4 banger(Quad=4 cyl. 4= 4 vales/cyl.) it LO (unoffical term for the low output version) like I have is 160hp @ 5200rpm's and 160ft. lbs. tourqe @ 4800rpms (close enough, may be alittle off with the rpm's) redlines at 6800rpm's and at 3500rpm's it's as if the tourqe doubles. the HO (offical term for high output) had 180hp and 160ft. lbs. tourqe, that and the 5 speed would make the car fly (in 1990 when Motor Trend did a test on the Grand Am SE, w/ Quad4 HO and 5speed, it did 0-60in 7.2 sec. and the 1/4 in 14.5sec. or so) I have the Quad4 LO w/ the auto tranny (3 speed + lock-out)

now, what's neat about the Quad4 is, the Auroa and North Star (amazing engine) are both designed off of the Quad4, so it would be safe to say the Quad4 is like half of a North Star.

I want to paint the upper "bars" red, and the backing behind the letters red also, then paint the lower valley areas white and the letter white, that will look sharp (the HO says HIGH OUTPUT across the upper part)

My brother actually used to have a Cosworth Vega. Which marked many firsts for GM.
The Cosworth Vega included many firsts: the first double overhead cam sixteen valve engine to be domestically produced and sold by General Motors; the first use of electronic fuel injection by Chevrolet (Bosch fuel injection system); the first use of a factory installed stainless steel exhaust header;

After my brother didn't want it any more...my dad just hated to see the all aluminum cosworth engine leave (not to mention this may have ben the only Vega body in existence with NO rust!:eek: ) So he bought it off of him. To this day he still has the engine in his garage...although he recently sold the vega (without motor) a couple years ago. He also did a little work to the body...the tail lights were changed to corvette tail lights...the door handles were removed and solenoids installed for the doors...and the louvers from the rear quarter of a junked vega station wagon were removed and put into the front fenders on his vega. Even when he got rid of it...that body was in great condition.

This was a neat car, historically speaking, too darn bad the thing weighed two ton!

my dad has a 70's Pontiac Astro, which is the same as a Vega

I guess it's all rotted, engine is bad, but he wants to take the tranny from it.

Wow, GF, all of this talk about Vegas sure brings back some memories! My only Vega was a '74 with a small block 400/auto.

It was amazing in that even though it had an 'open' rear end, when punching it, it would burn both tires just like a posi!

I thought that car was great fun -- I could bomb away from a stop sign and the car would get sideways for almost half a block, heh, heh. That kind of thing was hard on the stock rear end, however. It seems I was constantly changing out broken spider gears!!:D :cool:

Last edited:
Brings back some memories....my friend had a 350 Vega wagon. Talk about sideways! He knew a guy who built a tube frame fuel injected Vega 400 with a shortened Ford 9" and rear tubs. Right before the car was done, he joined the Navy:confused: Never found out what happened to the car. My ride was a 65 Mustang fastback 302. Built the motor myself in my old man's shop. It was auto, but I had the Borg-Warner T10 ready to go. One of my great mistakes in life was selling it.

I got a buddy back in ChiTown who's got a Vega Funny car. One of these days he will finish a huge 454 for it and head over to Rt66. Also my Brother inlaws buddy has a Wicked vega wagon with a Brute of big block in it. You guys should see that thing drag the rear bumper 1/4 way down the track. Think i got a pic of it around here some where.

Grumpy

I have only seen one VEGA (that I can remember anyway) and this was one badass car. The guy who owned this put a 350 in it and once he got done fixing it up he could run in the 10's all day (and this is with an automatic :eek: ). When he would put a solid lift cam in the motor he could just barely get into the 9's. I will admit I have not seen meaner 350 ever. I have seen 350's get into the 10's and 9's but all these motors had some sort of forced induction or nitrous, while this motor had no form of forced induction or even nitrous.

Last edited:
Man, I miss the days when there was no such thing as charging(turbo or super) and everyone bought the same type of gas.
There is no substitution for cubic inches:)
I once had the sensation of riding in an LS6 '70 Chevelle. No wonder my hairline is receding:D OH, and it was not stock. As it pulled up to my old man's parts store, you could feel the rumble of the headers on the counter...in the air conditioned store.
That along with a ride in a Pantera and a kit car Cobra rocked. I actually drove a Mondial, but just around the block:mad: Oh, and I did get to drive a kit car Countach with a twin turbo 350. But again, just on the freeway and back.
I worked at a really cool service station that fixed some really cool cars :)

You know what is kind of funny, most of your high end exotic sport cars like the Ferrari 360 use small V8's and yet they can beat American V8's that have more displacement. I guess the "their is not replacement for displacement" thing is kind of false.:p:

Originally posted by Cerwin Vega Fan
You know what is kind of funny, most of your high end exotic sport cars like the Ferrari 360 use small V8's and yet they can beat American V8's that have more displacement. I guess the "their is not replacement for displacement" thing is kind of false.:p:

What is the record for import cars in the quater mile? Time and speed? (I really don't know) What does the Ferrari run in the 1/4?

When they can beat 4.477 in the quarter or get over 332.18...you'll grab my attention. (man, is that fast!)

I seen the 4.477...these cars are something to see...it rattles your eyeballs inside of your head.

are these the records set? or is there a different league where the import cars are faster????

hehe...but really...anything under ten is damn fast! heck...even 12's or 11's is damn fast. I'm talkin' about a real 11.00 and not that talk about running 11.00's. When I was younger I could remember kids that shaved seconds off of their cars as the night went on.

I've got a lot more pics when the wife gets them developed.

She had a 372 cu. in. 2bbl, and got 20 MPG on the highway. If a 5,955 pound land barge can get almost 20 mpg at over 40 years old, why's it so difficult for an SUV to hit the same goal? :dunno:

Mine was well equipped, with power steering and brakes. Six ashtrays, no seatbelts, and draft tube emissions.....it was truly made in the age of innocence.

Back
Top Bottom