WTLC a small woofer tragedy

the 137 drivers are definitely CTS, but i really wonder what is the difference in sound from a round vs square magnet? ceramic magnets are ferrite correct? so would the square structure effect sound differently than a round magnet?

I have managed luckily to repair mine however, I pulled the dust cap off and found that the negative wire was broken under the glue, i couls actually see through this hot glue looking substance and see the break, i carefully pulled it off and soldered the wires back together, the woofer now works, thank god it wasnt serious, and i really dont know, but i have a feeling that it may have been like that when i bought the speakers back in winter/spring.

heres some pics
C07ECAAF-BE2E-4C1E-ACAD-828538112BEB-2593-00000332FEDCF123.jpg

C5194E80-39CC-4AF9-9BDF-BF54745A1399-2593-00000332C6ADCD06.jpg

so my theory is that infinity would order the woofers from someone, and through some sort of speaker dyno setup, they would match each set of woofers to eachother with the doping, then install them in the cabinet, and i think this was done on the top and bottom woofers, and i have the feeling that if you have non consecutive serial numbers your speakers both wont sound the same because the consecutive serials means they may have been built together. this is just a theory.

Way to hang and not give up on those woofies, Capt!:thmbsp:
I assume that's the bottom woofer but that dust cap throws me off as the original dust covers were flat and heavily doped, ditto for the top woofer to a much lesser extent.

The WTLC are a real treat and have an uncanny ability to throw off a nice soundstage and sublime imaging to boot.:yes:

I'm sure you breathed a great sigh of relief to get that woofer working again. Congratulations.

It does appear that the dust cap had been replaced at some point because as tubed says, the originals were flat and doped like the cones. Does your other bottom firing woofer have the same convex cap, and what about the fronts?

So as to contrast and compare I am attaching photos of a spare pair of my WTLC woofers, one front (right) and one bottom (left) firing, both front and backs sides. The difference in doping thickness is obvious.

Attachments

• Woofers_front.jpg
    Woofers_front.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 126
  • woofers_back.jpg
    woofers_back.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
the issue was my bottom woofer so thats what the picture is of, all 4 of mine have the convex caps, it seems they have been refoamed at some point in their lives and they used the shim method. but my top woofers are doped the same as yours and the bottoms are doped the same as yours. I am very relieved to get the woofer working again.

now that all my axts are fixed, and my wtlcs taken care of, I am starting my search for a set of 4 peerless mt-225 to finish the set of 1001s i have sitting here.

Yeah I realize my post isn't exactly great instruction-wise. I had a very strong feeling that what you have now discovered had actually happened. If you don't feel any VC rub chances are that is always what has happened. I'm thrilled you managed to find the break.

And regarding the dissolving the spider glue question. I just used regular ISO alcohol to dissolve any adhesive on the driver. Eventually I kind if just pushed the spider down the separate it from the cone. It's not like you're doing this anyways since the break was before that. In my case I didn't have to do it either, I went too deep simply because the break was below some black coating so I didn't see it right away. I had to work my way backward from where I knew it was still continuous.

Last edited:
the issue was my bottom woofer so thats what the picture is of, all 4 of mine have the convex caps, it seems they have been refoamed at some point in their lives and they used the shim method. but my top woofers are doped the same as yours and the bottoms are doped the same as yours. I am very relieved to get the woofer working again.

now that all my axts are fixed, and my wtlcs taken care of, I am starting my search for a set of 4 peerless mt-225 to finish the set of 1001s i have sitting here.

Could be whomever did the re-foam shimmed the wire and broke it ... happens. I did that the last time I used the shim method .. and it was my last time using shims. Good to hear you hung in there and fixed it. Good on ya, I bet your speakers sound even better now that YOU found and fixed the problem.

Cheers,
Bob

Back
Top Bottom